Experiences with mammograms after 50+ pound weight loss?

Options
Freaking out- had a mammogram yesterday and got a call that I needed followup mammography and ultrasound evaluation.

Turns out the problem was probably because of weight loss/ previous surgery for a benign growth.

I'm posting this to recommend that if this happens to you, call the physician that wrote your original prescription and try to stay calm until you know for sure what's going on.

For those of you who are living with BC, I am holding you in myprayers.

Replies

• Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    DO NOT PANIC!!! This is not unusual. I have worked in health care for years, most recently in radiology (not as a clinician, but you learn stuff). The national "best practice" for call backs on mammograms is between 8%-12%, according to the American College of Radiology. The actual incidence of breast cancer for this group is low - less than 5%. I have had call backs, including ultrasounds. If there was a "uh oh, we found something" situation, they would have called you back for a biopsy, not an ultrasound. This means that even if there is something there that is suspicious, it is small and by definition will be easier to treat. Please let us know how it works out for you, I wish you the best!
  • bbzgrl110
    bbzgrl110 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had this happen to me a year and a half ago, and it scared me to the point that I haven't been back since. I know that I need to go back because I have a high incidence of BC in my family, but every time I get ready to make the appointment I panic and don't do it. I have pain in my left breast alot, and have for years, so I guess it just has me freaked out.

Prayers for you that this is nothing :)
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I had this happen to me a year and a half ago, and it scared me to the point that I haven't been back since. I know that I need to go back because I have a high incidence of BC in my family, but every time I get ready to make the appointment I panic and don't do it. I have pain in my left breast alot, and have for years, so I guess it just has me freaked out.

Prayers for you that this is nothing :)

Seriously make your appt TODAY. It's easier to face a mammogram than a PET scan. My dearest friend died because she was afraid to see a dr. I survived because I chose to face what I had to face. It wasn't pleasant, but I'll see my son grow up (God willing).
  • shell_mc
    shell_mc Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's natural for the landscape of your breast tissue to change as you lose weight. Try not to worry too much.

And to bbzgrl110 - please make an appointment today. Not knowing what's happening in your body won't change what's going on. You need to know so that you can deal with any health issues present.

Good luck!
  • happieharpie
    happieharpie Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    You are all WONDERFUL! I made the appointment this morning within the phone call from the Woman's Clinic.

Then I called my wonderful GP recommended that I call my gyn, who had written the prescription. I spoke to a

Covering gyn, and my own doctor called me within 1/2 hour.

He assured me that the diagnosis forwarded to him was the LEAST concerning of any that are given, and that

my weight loss and a surgery for a benign cyst many years ago was without doubt the reason for the requested repeat

I am going to take the extra testing, but with a far better frame of mind than when I got the call this morning.

PLEASE bbzgrl, call for that appointment today, and when you go, tell your contacts EVERYTHING that had happened to you

on your last visit. I should have made a bigger deal of my previous surgery I think.

Thank you to ALL of you for your help!