Best Activities for back problems

Options
So I was doing fairly well, going slow, paying attention to my body. Down 7lbs. Was cleaning my kitchen, used the swiffer mop to mop and BAM back is shooting pain like I was hit with a baseball bat.

I don't want to be back to square one (car wreck, nasty fall on ice a year later, excrutiating pain that took everything out of me) which is how I got in this predicament in the first place, can't afford physical therapy again. So. Any back experts out there that know what exercises are safe to do while nursing an injury to the L/S-Spine? Also, what I can do to make it calm down?

Replies

• wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I have DDD L5/L4/L3. I cannot rave enough on yoga. When you did PT last year did they give you a printout of exercises to do at home? Start doing them again. Ice - lay on a soft ice pack with your legs elevated 15 min. An inversion table can help - all depends on your injury. Give your self time to heal - walk in the mean time if you can without "bad" pain.
  • bowbeforethoraxis
    bowbeforethoraxis Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a wonky back, partly from a childhood injury (fell off a hayride) and my chiropractor has said partly because when I get anxious my back muscles tense up to the point where they pull my spine out of alignment. I also have a certain spot that spasms pretty regularly under my shoulder blade. So, while I have no understanding of what your injuries specifically mean, I get having a bad back, and it sucks, so my sympathy to you.

I second the pp. Yoga is amazing for back pain!
    http://the-exercist.tumblr.com/post/65381609274/fit-heaven-best-websites-for-yoga-yoga#notes

That link has a links to various yoga websites to help beginners out. My favorite poses that definitely seem to help my back are the child's pose, the bridge pose, the bow pose, and the cobra pose.

The biggest thing to remember (for me at least) is while doing yoga, if a pose hurts, don't do it! Some things feel awkward or weird, and that's okay, but any pain means stop. You can try to find a modification to make the pose easier or more comfortable, but don't push through the pain.
  • liberalchick
    liberalchick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Ask your Dr. Walking is good. I've had a few back surgeries myself. Yoga is not an option for me. I jog and have my own routine of stretches. I used to run but now have to jog. I know a lot of people say to do yoga but depending on a persons damage it is not always an option. I have a few rods in my back and there are certain positions I am unable to get into. Over the years I have learned how to substitute one activity for another.

If you can't do something, find something else you can do.

Everyone is different. I can jog slowly and will be fine. I can't mop a floor though, the slight bend kills me. Squats are easy for me but I can't do lunges. I think squats are easy because the first thing they tell you in therapy is not to bend. Being mindful of everyday movements helps too. Don't jump out of bed, roll over on your side when getting up. Little things like that make a huge difference.

The only way to really see what damage you have is to have a ct and/or mri. Til then don't worry about what you can't do, focus on what you can and pay attention to what aggravates it.