OA -

Options
Hello,

Has anyone ever gone to an Overeaters Anonymous meeting? What is it like? Is it beneficial?

Replies

• CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    No. But I would imagine that its only beneficial if its something that works for your personality qwerks.

If its anything like AA then its goal is to create a safe place for you to go and to provide support and accountability while giving you privacy. If you don't have a support system in place already --and one that doesn't judge you-- then its worth a shot. Sometimes it takes people who have been where we are.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've been to a few meetings, but have never been consistent.

I do like the 12 steps though and it really helps to put your addiction into a more conscientious perspective. My brother got me into it through his battle with a cocaine addiction. It was nice to be able to have his support and understanding.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't do OA but I do belong to another 12 step program and I find it really beneficial - like free therapy :) Plus, the fellowship and support is amazing. I've been in a 12 step program for about a year and half now and it pretty much has saved my life.
  • cheninmatthews21
    cheninmatthews21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I went for a period of time a few years back and felt it to be truly beneficial at an emotional level, helping me tackle the negativity I harbored internally that led me to overeat so often. Its not a place to discuss diet and exercise, so much as a group to face the addictive nature of emotional / binge eating. I've wanted to go back for a while, but I live in a new city now and am somewhat intimidated to go and find a new group, and i'm honestly not sure if the 12 step method is for me.

If a 12 step program is something you'd be open to, i'd try it out. Its not easy, but it can be very rewarding.