SUPPLEMENTS - suggest for noob

Options
Hey everyone. I know there are some pretty passionate and dedicated lifters that love to talk about their supplements! I am moving on from my cardio/weight loss phase, and am moving into my "lifting" (body weight training) phase. Note: I am not trying to gain mass yet, just trying to lift on a slight caloric deficit and keep my lean mass while I try to get rid of my last bit of body fat percentage (at about 17%, want to be at about 14.5ish).

What are some supplements you guys think are necessary? People freaked me out and basically said if I wasn't supplementing right I shouldn't lift at all. Also note I'm not trying to spend that much money at all, would prefer something simple, and only a basic few things that I need. I am currently taking one-a-day multivitamen for men (20 year old male).Not trying to turn into a S2 shirt wearing, protein powder chugging meat head. Just a little push in the right direction for some decent supplements. Thanks!

Replies

• sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Also if I stay dedicated, I very well may buy the bodybuilding.com's fat loss for men pack:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/exclusive-combos/mens-fat-loss-20-39-stack-advanced.html

but I don't want to commit $175 until I am really in the habit of going to the gym. Just need a basic stack to get me by.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    No supplements are necessary. They are supplements, they will provide you with what your body needs, what you cannot get through food. If you already have enough protein/vitamins in your diet there is no need to supplement anything.

You will just be flushing money down the drain.

Anyone who says you need to supplement to lift are idiots trying to sell you something..
  • sheep_dog
    Options
    No supplements are necessary. They are supplements, they will provide you with what your body needs, what you cannot get through food. If you already have enough protein/vitamins in your diet there is no need to supplement anything.

Anyone who says you need to supplement to lift are idiots trying to sell you something..

I really want to go with you, because they are so damn expensive. But there has to be at least something to it, for stores like suplement superstore to exist. I figure if I can get some cheaper alternatives than the best stuff, and spend like $50 for two months that would give me at least a little edge, it would be worth it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I really want to go with you, because they are so damn expensive. But there has to be at least something to it, for stores like suplement superstore to exist. I figure if I can get some cheaper alternatives than the best stuff, and spend like $50 for two months that would give me at least a little edge, it would be worth it.
    Supplement stores exist because people will buy anything.

Get yourself a tasty protein shake to help you meet your goals. Get a progressive lifting program. Join the Eat, Train, Progress group for good advice and lots of info.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

Supplements store are there because people by them. Supply and demand you know? They make a lot of money with people that *think* they need all sorts of supplements

What is it that you want to supplement?
    Nothing you don't need is ever gonna be ''worth it''

Your goal is to drop body fat while preserving your muscle mass. This is achieved by eating at a deficit and lifting heavy. No amount of supplements will help with that. Make sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. Aside from protein (if you don't get enough through food) I don't see any supplements that would help in any ways.

Maybe others can add to this, but personally supplements aren't worth dropping money on unless they are truly needed! And With what you say I don't see how you would need any :wink:
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    All you "really" need is a high quality protein and a good creatine. Other than that, they really are pretty much all hype.

Personally I use a pre-workout, but that's because I work out at 4:30 in the morning and I need that boost of energy to make my workout worth while. I also use BCAAs intra-workout and a high quality protein post-workout. Finally, I have a Casein shake before bed. Do I have to do all of these things? No. But I definitely feel that I get a better workout when I use them as opposed to when I don't.

If you want a "good" starting place, go to the intro to supps on bodybuilding.com.

I swear by: C-4 and White Flood for my pre, Cellucor BCAA for my intra, Gold Standard & Syntha 6 post, and Gold Standard for my before bed. Like I said - for me it's more about getting me going that early in the morning than it is "dramatic life changing results."

Do what feels right for you. Try it. If you don't notice a difference, stop. It's that simple.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Until you go to the gym and try "lifting" don't worry about supplementing. Drink lots of water and eat some protein after.
    In 2-3 months, if &/or when you have any issues, then worry about it. If you want to gain mass, then worry about it.

The only thing I supplement is for DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), which is get badly, but I have medical issues. (Glutamine, creatine and L-arginie) - damn I can't spell (LOL)

enjoy the lifting
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I know there are some pretty passionate and dedicated lifters that love to talk about their supplements! I am moving on from my cardio/weight loss phase, and am moving into my "lifting" (body weight training) phase. Note: I am not trying to gain mass yet, just trying to lift on a slight caloric deficit and keep my lean mass while I try to get rid of my last bit of body fat percentage (at about 17%, want to be at about 14.5ish).

What are some supplements you guys think are necessary? People freaked me out and basically said if I wasn't supplementing right I shouldn't lift at all. Also note I'm not trying to spend that much money at all, would prefer something simple, and only a basic few things that I need. I am currently taking one-a-day multivitamen for men (20 year old male).Not trying to turn into a S2 shirt wearing, protein powder chugging meat head. Just a little push in the right direction for some decent supplements. Thanks!

Why didn't you do cardio and lifting concurrently vs breaking into phases? and no supplements needed, you're a noob and gains will be fine
  • sheep_dog
    Options

Why didn't you do cardio and lifting concurrently vs breaking into phases? and no supplements needed, you're a noob and gains will be fine

To be honest, I should have! Just never really believes I could change my body until I started riding a lot, and it happened. But if I would have been lifting that whole time, I bet my body would be a lot better than it is now.

Also thanks everyone for your input! Sounds like the general concencus is maybese protein powder. I'll keep you all updated on how I do =). Planning on starting tomorrow
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough protein through your diet, the only things you might want to look into are creatine, and BCAA, which if you are at a slight deficit there is a chance you are getting enough anyways, but creatine is definitely a go to, and is actually is suppose to be beneficial for everyday use.