So we're going Paleo. What should I pack?

Options
StevLL
StevLL Posts: 921 Member
Doc say’s, no sugar, no dairy, no wheat, no corn, no grains, no soy, no processed foods, eat only foods without chemicals eat Paleo. Okay, so we are not completely new to this healthier lifestyle thingy, we can do this! We say, “Look at our pantry, we are like there!” Yeah us! Being good students, we, based on the best couch potato experts, download Netflix. We can view some documentaries on nutrition and food. AHHHHH!!!! Run for the hills Batman, that stuff is scary! Look what they are putting in food and calling it natural!!! However, we say to ourselves we have been doing well and our pantry is cool don’t ya know. (Insert smug look of righteousness here)
So let us look at our “cool” pantry, dried beans, quinoa and chickpeas from sprouts, check all good. However, didn’t she say no grains, does that mean the Quinoa must go? Yea buddy that’s what that means. (Insert slightly less smugly looking face) Okay well, shredded coconut is on the Paleo list so, that’s good, but wait, why is the ingredient list so long? Let’s look closer shall we. Coconut first on the list, sweet, then water, okay water is good. Now let’s see, sugar, why, coconut is sweet? Next is Propylene Glycol, isn’t that what was in the bottle I just poured into my truck radiator? Next ingredient is, salt. Why salt if it’s supposed to be sweet? Then last but not least Sodium Metabisulfite, what the heck!? I just wanted shredded coconut in my gluten free natural brown sugar pure protein powder cookies! I can see the teacher now! Red marks flying in all directions, D- on your pantry. So we go through it with a fine toothcomb, Natures Harvest Wasabi peas from the health food store must be good right. Not so much if you do not mind yellow and blue dye, soy and modified cornstarch, because the regular cornstarch in it is apparently not enough. (Insert look of complete surrender, DAANNNGGG!)
Tossed what was open and going to donate or give away what is not, but now our pantry really is, wheat, gluten, grain, soy, corn, dairy, processed, chemical free and almost sugar free. (Still has local mesquite honey in it) There is nothing in it, but real food, which now takes up half of a shelf of the previously burgeoning shelves. Now, to learn about Paleo.
Plant based, no grains, no dairy, no fatty meat, no processed food, but wait there is bacon on the list. Correct me, but that is fatty, processed up the wazu and not chemical free. Therefore, I am confused and it is only the first site I have been to. If you are Paleo and have recipes and ideas shout’em out, because what I thought was us leaning towards Paleo was more like just leaning over the coffin. Need links too, to help fine-tune our approach. We had already started juicing 4 days ago to reboot our system and that should help transition to all natural, whole foods.
Enjoy your day, thanks for any help in advance and for the love of all things good, if you wanna live, read your labels. If you wanna good scare tomorrow, read your labels. It ain’t pretty, but it’s what’s for dinner.:noway: :bigsmile:

Replies

• laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Steve!! WHOLE 30! Look it up :) It's the most amazing Paleo guide EVER! And Jan's Sushi Bar (shes on Facebook and has a website) has some AMAZING Paleo recipes, along with OMG Paleo and "Well Fed" ;)
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm not strict paleo, but paleo is defined as many things. However, check out the following websites for recipes and ideas (I am not affiliated with any of them, just followers of FB and blogs):

Ditto on OMG Paleo, funny as heck!
    Elana's Pantry
    PaleoPot (focus on crockpot style foods - how easy does it get, I ask you?)
    Nom Nom Paleo
    Civilized Caveman Cooking (or something like that)

You can make some delish, non-processed non-junkie things from the websites above. Have fun with it!

Cheers!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Ask buddy.....
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Hi Steve, I live on these pages, which you can find on FB: Primal Dieting, South Beach Primal, Paleo Mom, Homemade Mommy, Just Eat Real Food, Grass Fed Girl, Primal Bliss, Marina's Primal/Paleo Cooking and Against All Grain. These are all great places to get recipes and such. We eat Applegate bacon....It's as Paleo/Primal as it gets. :flowerforyou:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    joke post?

Is my sarcasm feeler off a 62lbs loss is very commendable would think you've got things figured out.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never read no bacon in any Paleo literature. You do have to be careful about the types of meat you eat on Paleo - grass-fed, no nitrates, humanely raised, no antibiotics, etc. Most people are often just too lazy to pursue nitrate free bacon and humanly raised meats. There is also the option of curing your own bacon if you have the time.
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    With the bacon, what's meant is not the highly processed shrink wrapped stuff you find in most grocery store but rather unprocessed bacon - basically just cured/smoked pig.

Check out marksdailyapple.com for an AMAZING amount of resources for going Primal (VERY similar to Paleo); it's got daily posts on a wide variety of ancestral living topics and it's been around for years so you can find info on just about everything. Wanna know what grains are bad, worse, worst or neutral? Got it. Wanna know exactly the differences between conventionally grown meat and grass-fed/organic/naturally raised/etc. etc. etc.? Got it. It's well worth a read on topics you're interested in.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Milk and cheese
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I've never read no bacon in any Paleo literature.

Bacon comes pigs, which are a farmed animals, which can't be "paleo" by definition. Boar meat, which could conceivably be considered "paleo", has completely different nutritional content than pig meat. Ditto for beef (not paleo) relative to bison (arguably paleo).

There is also no such thing as "unprocessed bacon".

As a frame of reference, I actually raise my own heritage breed free range pigs, and make my own bacon.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Quiona is not a grain. It's a fruit.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    looks like 99% of paleo peeps have it wrong with the bacon then.

I'm glad that I'm on the anti-food avoidance diet.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    if it has a face, its paleo enough for me.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm going into the bush. I'll take what we always do:
    Jerky , grains, and a bit of fat. See you on the other side.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    woolly mammoth
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Sabertooth Tiger Jerky
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Quiona is not a grain. It's a fruit.
    Well, it's the seed of a chenopod. Not really a fruit. It's not a true grain either since it's not a grass.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    bosch-tiger-filet.jpg
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    What specific health issues have you been diagnosed with that your doctor would prescribe this diet for you?
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The "no processed foods" always confuses me in these discussions because what processes are no no's don't seem to be mentioned very often
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    Better stick to edible native plants too since all the vegetables in the store are recent cultivars. Man's been messing with those.
    They're right out for paleo man.