My scale is pissing me off.

Options
My scale is on a the hard floor. I stepped on the scale three times: 134.8 lb. One hour later, I stepped on it three times again:127.8 lb.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Is the floor level? Does the scale need new batteries?
  • Lersania
    Options
    Don't fret. Remember that numbers don't make people. The heart and personality is what matters. Once you learn to embrace yourself then everything else will fall into place. Be more proud of your accomplishments. Don't be too hard on yourself. Good luck!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Have you tried pissing ON your scale?

Either it's not on a level surface, the batteries are dying, or the scale is bad. Even if it's off, it should be more consistent.
  • MileHighFitness
    MileHighFitness Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I HATE my scale. I can weigh my self 5 times in a row and will deviate 2-3 lbs!
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    if I don't put my feet in the exact same spot every time my scale tells me lots of different numbers. Do yourself a favour and ditch the scale... take your measurements and lots of pictures :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I HATE my scale. I can weigh my self 5 times in a row and will deviate 2-3 lbs!

2 lbs variance on a 200 pound weight is +/- 0.5%.

Exactly how much more accurate than that do people need?
  • kharsa12
    kharsa12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The best time to weigh yourself is once a week, first thing in the morning after going to the restroom. That is when the number on the scale will be the most accurate. Throughout the day your weight fluctuates because of what you are eating, what you choose to wear, whether or not you are retaining water (which is ridiculously easy during the day since sodium levels are high in many foods), and also because it takes your body time to digest and expel food you eat. Weighing yourself daily or throughout the day is the LEAST ACCURATE way to see if you are making any progress. Try picking a day to weigh yourself, and be nude or in basic underwear to get the most accurate result. Weight shifts daily anyway depending on what you eat the day before, so try the once-a-week idea and everything will not only be more accurate, but you will feel accomplished. Remember, the number on the scale is NOT as important as inches lost, or the size you wear. Muscle weighs more than fat (volume-wise) so keep your chin up and keep going!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The best time to weigh yourself is once a week, first thing in the morning after going to the restroom. That is when the number on the scale will be the most accurate.

"Most accurate" for what? Your body is relatively dehydrated at that point, and you won't get your "real" weight until you rehydrate.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Looks like the feeling is mutual.
  • Spiderkeys
    Spiderkeys Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My scale pisses me off too, if I'm unhappy with my reading, I can just get off it and stand on it again.
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My scale is prone to arguing once in a while.

Now, normally it's a good little scale, reports accurately, doesn't get huffy and start yelling random numbers, just does it's job And well even; my gram confirmed that my scale and the scale in her doctor's office agree completely.. But some days, it loses it's little scaley mind and decides "screw this crap; you wanna know what you weigh fatty? well you lost 13 lbs in a day, now shut up! oh, calling bull**** ehh? well, how about you gained 6 lbs, how'dya like that?! Yeah, keep stepping, keep staring; now you're down 6, now you're up 4, where does it stop, who cares, and **** you!"

Usually just walk away, let it calm down, and try again in 5 minutes. By then, it's tantrum is through, and it's back to be it's good ol' reliable self.
  • jenanigans_from_space
    Options

Now, normally it's a good little scale, reports accurately, doesn't get huffy and start yelling random numbers, just does it's job And well even; my gram confirmed that my scale and the scale in her doctor's office agree completely.. But some days, it loses it's little scaley mind and decides "screw this crap; you wanna know what you weigh fatty? well you lost 13 lbs in a day, now shut up! oh, calling bull**** ehh? well, how about you gained 6 lbs, how'dya like that?! Yeah, keep stepping, keep staring; now you're down 6, now you're up 4, where does it stop, who cares, and **** you!"

Usually just walk away, let it calm down, and try again in 5 minutes. By then, it's tantrum is through, and it's back to be it's good ol' reliable self.

^ LOL this.
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    The best time to weigh yourself is once a week, first thing in the morning after going to the restroom. That is when the number on the scale will be the most accurate.

"Most accurate" for what? Your body is relatively dehydrated at that point, and you won't get your "real" weight until you rehydrate.

I'm with you. Do we even HAVE an accurate weight?

Dehydrated or hydrated?
    With a gut full of "bioproduct" or not?
    How much urine?
    How much glycogen in the muscles?

There is no one number that is right... so ultra precision is unnecessary.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    To get the most accurate reading you can, first thing am after going to the loo is best simply because at that time you have an empty stomach/bladder/bowel so this eliminates these fluctuations.

Makes sense if you think about it.
  • candiceh3
    Options
    To get the most accurate reading you can, first thing am after going to the loo is best simply because at that time you have an empty stomach/bladder/bowel so this eliminates these fluctuations.

It might reduce volatility, but relative to what? Who is to say that your body post urinating in a dehydrated fasting state is the weight you should be trying to measure in the first place?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Take its batteries out, that'll teach it!
  • noemibp
    noemibp Posts: 167
    Options

Mine does the same... :/
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Yeah, but self delusion is great :smile:
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

It might reduce volatility, but relative to what? Who is to say that your body post urinating in a dehydrated fasting state is the weight you should be trying to measure in the first place?

Who says it isn't? Also, who says peeing makes you dehydrated? You can pee and still be perfectly hydrated, it's just your kidneys doing their thing removing the (haha) toxins from your body (haha - I hate the t word, but in this context it is accurate).
  • candiceh3
    Options

Who says it isn't? Also, who says peeing makes you dehydrated? You can pee and still be perfectly hydrated, it's just your kidneys doing their thing removing the (haha) toxins from your body (haha - I hate the t word, but in this context it is accurate).

read again

I didn't say peeing makes you dehydrated. Sleeping overnight will do that with our without taking a wizz.