Looking for an active support group

Options
I just started on Monday. It was actually Tamara's success story on the Today show that brought me here. I've been a yo-yo dieter for years. Recently I went on Nutrisystem and lost 54lbs. I was very active on the message boards but soon the board I was a member of became more of a "friends only" board and not much support. While I did enjoy hearing daily stories from the friends I had made on the message board, it wasn't helping me stay focused on losing weight. I dropped out and thought I could do this on my own. I soon discovered that I'm still not ready to do this on my own after completely sabotaging my lose and gaining 20lbs.

I'm looking for a support group here that is active. I'm a very supportive person and I also need encouragement. I think I'm a little competitive too so when I'm in an active group and see others working hard at losing weight, it helps me step up my game.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I see a bunch of groups that have started a while ago and didn't know if they were open to new members. I totally love this website. Its really helped me get back on track. The home page that shows my friends' successes is awesome. Its almost similar to Facebook except with a weight loss focus. However, I am missing the one ingredient that helps me stay on track - the fellowship of other people who truly understand what its like to want to live a healthier life but just cannot do it alone.

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Here are 2 groups that I belong too that welcome new members and have been active for over 6 months:

For a challenge to post your exercise everyday. We started Jan 1st and the goal is to do something everyday even if it's only 15 min of stretches. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/111430-my-2010-challenge-52-times-7-7?page=2#posts-1546354

This group is for women over 40 that need support. We occasionally do challenges but none are going on right now. We are there to support each other. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/105174-women-40-would-like-to-share-progress?page=15#posts-1546639 Several of us have been training for 1/2 or full marathon and some are doing P90X.

Good luck in finding some groups that you enjoy. You can always start your own group too...
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm not part of a particular group at the moment, but you're welcome to talk to me whenever you need support. (I get focused to the point of insanity, sometimes. :tongue: ).

I hope you find what you're looking for! :flowerforyou:
  • jesse14472
    jesse14472 Posts: 161
    Options
    Another great group is http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/109829-lose-5-pounds-a-month-august-2010-challenge?page=17#posts-1546795

The groups goal is to lose 5 lbs each month and is very supportive and fun. There is also a weekly fun side challenge that 3 of the ladies post for us (ie, try to eat 3 fruits 3days of the week, dance for 1.5 hrs this week, etc.)
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    I'm not part of a particular group either, but feel free to add me as a friend.

I'm am determined to do it this time and other people's success always spurs me on! I always want to be the best at what I do, so I'm sure we could help each other out!! :-)
  • Ayre
    Ayre Posts: 15
    Options
    I am also not part of an active support group, but you can add me as a friend. I need support and positive reinforcement. I am a mom of three children and the summer has been impossible to work out and eat properly. I am at a plateau right now and could use the support BIG TIME! I have friends who have horses and the one daughter is in a pony club and shows. Best wishes to you and your equestrian goals!
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently part of a group either, but I would love to join one. I've been on here for awhile now and was doing pretty well, but lately have not been motivated to stick with it. Even though I need to and can feel the difference. You can friend me if you want and let me know which groups you join. I need to join one.
  • SharonsJetSet
    Options
    WOW thanks everyone!! I'm even more motivated now after all of your responses. I've signed onto a few of the boards you've recommended and friended most of you!!

WooHoo this is so exciting

:flowerforyou: