Anyone battling weight gain due to medication?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mollypol
    Mollypol Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Something similar happened to me. I was on the contraceptive injection and put huge amounts of weight on very quickly. It has taken nearly a year to get it out of my system. Never again. I was taking Depo-Provera. Since questioning the weight gain, I have found many websites and forums acknowledging this fact.
  • warkedchocobo
    Options
    I'm on topamax... for epilepsy...and ugh. Not only does it cause the weight gain, it causes muscle and bone problems so working out even becomes difficult. So I know this pain. My whole life has been determined by which medication I've been on. I'm finally like "Nope, I'm gonna beat this, I'm doing it myself" So I wish you all the best of luck and support on this! We can overcome these meds!
  • Am on diabetic meds & citalopram & it sucks gaining wieght because of them !
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a month of Omeprazole and it's pretty much having the complete opposite effect. I never have an appetite and I'm not sure whether it's a good or a bad thing.
  • Pobutt
    Pobutt Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You are all awesome! Thank you for your replies. Just got diagnosed with Graves Disease. I thought I was doing good losing weight and this whole time it was Graves. Now I'm on even more meds that cause weight gain! Hmmm
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to have to start at maintenance (which means no weight loss at first as you adjust to the new medication) and then slowly cut back on calories each week until you get to an appropriate calorie intake/deficit based on your goal. You'll probably be hungry for a bit but eventually will get used to it and won't feel hungry anymore. And even if you only end up being able to lose 0.5 lb/week for a while at least it's better than nothing.