Volume

Options
I've been doing a Leg/Push/Pull routine (6 days per week) for 3 months.

Now my gym PT gave me 2 days split program of 3 days per week sayng I need to decrease VOLUME.

The problem is that now I workout 3 times 2+ hours instead of 6 for 45-60 min.
I guess I'll end up increasing my volume this way.

Or is better to rest complitely between each workout ??

I am worried to burn more calories this way and lose ALL MY GAINS !!! XDXDXD

Replies

• NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    What is your routine that is causing each workout to last 2+ hours? Can you shorten the routine and possilbly increase the intensity (fewer sets with higher effort, shorter rest periods)?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    That does seem quite long.

I do a push/pull split myself, 4 days/week to hit each muscle group twice/week. Each workout lasts about 40 mins.

How long have you been working out?
    What are you goals?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    That is still a ton of volume but at least you have more rest time now.

Your lifts are still pretty low I think you would get much better results with a 3 day per week full body program.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Eat and starter program. Not two hours. More intensity.

suntory-time-more-intensity-27babb85-sz320x240.jpg
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Your lifts are still pretty low I think you would get much better results with a 3 day per week full body program.

I didn't see those numbers. OP, is that lbs or KGs?

Either way those are still beginner numbers. Since that is the case I would suggest a beginners program such as stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength with a little accessory work. Once you run a round or 3 of that program your progress should be slower at that time you may want to look at setting up some type of body building split program, if that is what your goal is. For where you are now you will benefit most for a 3 day/week full body lifting routine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This.gif
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

I didn't see those numbers. OP, is that lbs or KGs?

Either way those are still beginner numbers. Since that is the case I would suggest a beginners program such as stronglifts 5x5 or starting strength with a little accessory work. Once you run a round or 3 of that program your progress should be slower at that time you may want to look at setting up some type of body building split program, if that is what your goal is. For where you are now you will benefit most for a 3 day/week full body lifting routine.

Ah Kg's. Sorry Lorix94 that makes more sense. Always thinking in pounds.

OP: Still 2 hours is too much per workout and you do need enough rest to grow.
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    If I was in your position, I'd do stronglifts 5x5 for 12 weeks sort an easy to follow diet of about 130g protein, 330g carbs, 65g fat.
  • Lorix94
    Lorix94 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I swear I pushed myself with every single rep. I was sweated at the end of the first se already.

Anyway I am on a 2998 cals diet of 190p/420c/62f
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I swear I pushed myself with every single rep. I was sweated at the end of the first se already.

Anyway I am on a 2998 cals diet of 190p/420c/62f

Your cals and macros look good. Given your current weight, you should be gaining unless you are extremely active.
  • Lorix94
    Lorix94 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What is your routine that is causing each workout to last 2+ hours? Can you shorten the routine and possilbly increase the intensity (fewer sets with higher effort, shorter rest periods)?

Day 2°

WARM UP: 4 sets of abs ( around 10 min.)

Squat 5+5+5 with 10 sec. rest then 90 sec rest (4 sets)
    squat 15 (3sets) with 60'' rest
    leg curl 3x12 60''

barbell row 8+8+8 as above
    lat machine 3x12 60'' rest
    shoulder raises 3x12 , 60'' rest

barbell triceps pushes :| ... 8+8+8 as above
    ercolina 3x12 60'' rest
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    4 sets of abs as a warmup? You should be warming up with the actual lift at 40-60% 1rm, save abs until the end. Anyways... As many other people suggested... Do SL 5x5, maybe with a few accessories at the end as needed. These endurance style workouts are probably not gonna put on a ton of mass/strength as it will stimulate less type 2 fibers which are what we are aiming to train. Less neural stimulation and higher chance of form degradation as well. Generally PT's aren't the best people to go to for programming, unless the have good credentials like a relevant degree, a satisfied clientele for many years, lots of experience training others; more or less their job is to make sure your form isn't going full retard mode (and some of them even fail at that). Macros are good though.
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Try this

Mon: Chest/Tri
    Tues: Rest/optional cardio/abs
    Weds: Back/Bi
    Thurs: Rest/optional cardio/abs
    Fri: Shoulders/Legs
    Sat: Rest
    Sun: Rest

The schedule gives you plenty of rest. Train for strength in the 6-8 rep range, eat 500 over maintenance, 1g protein per lb bodyweight, .3-.5 x bodyweight in fat, fill the rest carbs, profit

You decrease reps and focus on strength (6-8 rep range), 10-12 reps for hypertrophy
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    After 60 minutes of hard training, your body starts to produce cortisol which can hurt your gains.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    If I was your age again I would do a 3 day per week full body routine focused on the progression of the Squat, deadlift, rows, chins, bench or inc. bench and overhead press. That is all I would do. Each workout would be a squat, a press and a pull. That is it! If your goal is bodybuilding, I would focus on getting stronger for reps. Take a 100x8 bench to a 255 x 10 bench, a 135 x 5 squat to a 315 x 10 squat, 5 bodyweight chins to 100+ lb x 5 bodyweight chins, eat like it's your job and over the years you will reap the rewards.
  • elkahallick
    elkahallick Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    If I was your age again I would do a 3 day per week full body routine focused on the progression of the Squat, deadlift, rows, chins, bench or inc. bench and overhead press. That is all I would do. Each workout would be a squat, a press and a pull. That is it! If your goal is bodybuilding, I would focus on getting stronger for reps. Take a 100x8 bench to a 255 x 10 bench, a 135 x 5 squat to a 315 x 10 squat, 5 bodyweight chins to 100+ lb x 5 bodyweight chins, eat like it's your job and over the years you will reap the rewards.

+1 rep

Your metabolism is probably through the roof too by the looks of you, it will probably take you more calories to gain.....
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    read about Mike Mentzer

your workouts seem very long and no rest. sounds bad
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    This ^^^ A good routine that has most of these elements is All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine. There is a group for All Pro routines here MFP that has all the info about it.