low carb/calorie, but HIGH nutrition

Options
Im looking for a way to get more nutrients into my diet..I am trying to follow a low carb diet and im lactose intolerant. I do enjoy almond milk-vanilla....any suggestions on the best protein or whey powders to use? Im not even sure of the difference in the powders...just looking for something high in nutrition, but not high in calories, carbs or sugar..

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    2 T of ground flax seed with milk of your choice. Let it sit for a few minutes. It turns into a hearty oatmeal.

1/8 of a cup of roasted sunflower seeds is 100 cals, 4 carbs, 2 fiber, 4 fat, 4 protein, and has a little calcium.

Almonds, walnuts, pecans, if you only eat a measured amount, are a healthy snack.

(That's the best I can do. I have no idea about protein powders. Sorry.)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lean meats and low starch vegetables?
  • jillianash
    jillianash Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    There are A LOT of protein powders out there and it is def worth th time to research them before making a decision. Lots have no carbs, no sugar, and lots of protein. I am doing a low carb diet as well however i find that there are lots of carbs in fruits and veggies! Just eatings those outs me at my carb max for the day, however its worth it because of all the nutrients. You couls also try like a meal replacement shake for nutrients (like shakeology) I havent tried it but its suppose to taste really good. However it does have carbs and it a higher calorie protein/supplement. Promasil is a good blended protein powder. I am currently using Isosensation Whey in Chocolate fudge and i would NOT reconmend it, Low carb yes, taste good no.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Low calories and carbs... shudders
  • meinola
    meinola Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Im looking for a way to get more nutrients into my diet..I am trying to follow a low carb diet and im lactose intolerant. I do enjoy almond milk-vanilla....any suggestions on the best protein or whey powders to use? Im not even sure of the difference in the powders...just looking for something high in nutrition, but not high in calories, carbs or sugar..

I really like Jay Robb Whey protein powder. It is 110 calories per serving, 0 fat, 1 g carbs, 0 sugar with 25 g protein. It is sweetened with stevia. I last bought it on Amazon, 24 oz. bag for right under $35.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I like Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein. I think the serving size is a bit much for me, but a full scoop is 170 calories, 7 carbs and 30 protein (I like to throw 1/3 scoop in my greek yogurt). To be honest, I prefer it because I think it tastes better than most other powders I've tried.

Once thing I will say - I am trying low "carb" (and reduced calories only in so much as I eat at a deficit) and having better success than previously, but I don't treat all carbs the same. I basically don't worry about carbs from fruit or veggies, but try to take it easy on carbs from starches, like breads, potatoes, rice, pasta etc. (and I haven't cut these out completely, I just limit them a bit more). I get plenty of nutrients that way (not worry about the carbs from veggies/fruits).
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try pasteurized egg whites. 8 oz. egg whites 8 oz. water and a Crystal Lite package.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm using ISO Whey Protein powder - got it at Walmart for 19.99 a tub. Lasts me about a month if not more - I use it about 3 x a week when I need a protein boost or in a rush and need a 'meal'.. also use it for an evening snack instead of actual 'food'. I put 2tbsp of PB2 in it, with some almond milk... tastes great.
    Not sure of the exact #'s but I know it's low cal, low sugar (0 actually I believe)....and the taste is pretty good.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Veggies, instead of most fruit, berries (lower sugar/carb than other fruit), lower fat cheeses, cottage cheese, Greek Yogurt.
    Though if you are going low carb I suggest higher cal, and eat more fat containing foods such as nuts and seeds
  • staplebug
    staplebug Posts: 189
    Options
    I know some people don't really watch out for artificial sweeteners, but if you DO, then research your protein powders. A lot of the good tasting and cheap ones that are low in sugar are full of acesulfame potassium, aspartame, etc.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you're reducing your carbs, you're going to need to increase your fats. Carbs and fat are the body's primary fuel source (protein can be a fuel source, but it takes some processing, and protein is better served to build/maintain muscle), so if you reduce one, you should increase the other. Yes, that means you get more calories per gram of food, but fat is generally very satiating, so you end up eating less overall. I personally do LC/HF, and I often feel like I'm eating a ton of food, but then when I tally it up, I often find I'm either right on target, or on the low side.

Additionally, low fat, low carb, high protein runs the risk of what's known as "rabbit starvation," which is basically two things - 1. lack of nutrients due to lack of an adequate variety of foods, and 2. overstressed liver from too much protein in absence of other nutrients. Both of these are obviously bad.

Keep in mind, too, that fat is a vital nutrient. Without it, the body can't absorb a number of essential vitamins, including vitamins A, D, E, and K, nor can it get essential fatty acids, such as Omega-3. So, going low fat will also defeat the purpose of what you're trying to do.

As for protein powders, they generally aren't very nutritious. They are protein...that's about it. If you want to get the most nutrient bang for your buck, try to stick with whole foods. Go for the eggs (the whole egg -- egg yolks are packed with choline, riboflavin, iron, folate, phosphorous, and vitamins A, D, and B12), meats (ideally pastured/biologically-appropriately fed, as they'll have better fat ratios and more nutrients than their CAFO counterparts), and fruits and vegetables (ideally local and sustainably grown varieties, as they'll likely have better nutrient profiles, due to having more nutrients in the ground to absorb, but organic vs non-organic on other stuff is generally up to you). Since you're watching carbs, if you eat fruits, stick to the powerhouse stuff, like berries, and other low-sugar fruits, like avocados. For veggies, go for the non-starchy stuff, such as greens (be careful, though, some veggies still have a lot of sugar in them, like carrots and bell peppers).

Also, it might be worth trying your hand at making your own almond milk. It's actually really easy to do, and you can reduce your carbs more, because the store-bought stuff often has sugar in it. You also don't have to deal with the other additives in the store bought stuff. Personally, I think home made tastes better. Just soak the almonds for at least 4 hours, drain/rinse and put in a blender with 1-4 cups of water per cup of almonds (depending on how rich you want it) and blend. Finally, filter through cheese cloth or a nut bag, refrigerate and enjoy! It lasts about 4-7 days in the fridge, and you can add whatever you want if you don't want it plain.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    There are A LOT of protein powders out there and it is def worth th time to research them before making a decision. Lots have no carbs, no sugar, and lots of protein. I am doing a low carb diet as well however i find that there are lots of carbs in fruits and veggies! Just eatings those outs me at my carb max for the day, however its worth it because of all the nutrients. You couls also try like a meal replacement shake for nutrients (like shakeology) I havent tried it but its suppose to taste really good. However it does have carbs and it a higher calorie protein/supplement. Promasil is a good blended protein powder. I am currently using Isosensation Whey in Chocolate fudge and i would NOT reconmend it, Low carb yes, taste good no.

thanks, yes Im in the same boat with veggies and fruit eating up all my carbs....there are so many protein powders out there I didn't know where to start....thanks:flowerforyou:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

thanks, yes Im in the same boat with veggies and fruit eating up all my carbs....there are so many protein powders out there I didn't know where to start....thanks:flowerforyou:

The fruits and veggies "eating up all the carbs" isn't a bad thing, though. Yeah, it doesn't mean you can eat a bowl of ice cream every day, but fruits and veggies are the best way to "spend" carbs.