UN-Realistic Body Image

Options
Everyday men and women are fooled by the photo shopped body images we see all over the media. Here is an awesome link! It is a time lapsed video (short, worth the watch) that shows from the beginning of the photo shoot with the make-up-less model to the end result. From beginning to end you can watch as they shrink her feet, her waist, her butt, her neckline, and make her eyes bigger.

People need to see real bodies. That is the only way we will ever get past these unattainable expectations!

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/shocking-video-reveals-photoshop-trickery-214529876.html

Replies

• musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That was UNREAL!

WOW!
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    While I'm aware in the back of my mind how prevalent photoshopping is in magazines and the media it's still a shock to the system to see just how MUCH they will alter a person's appearance for the sake of "beauty." The model in that video was already beautiful the way she was before they augmented her appearance!
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Bump for later... Can't view at work.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Damn..
    But ive seen better bodies at my gym.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I just never imagined!!!
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Another example!

Dove Evolution...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    And/or people should just realize that what they are looking at in a magazine or television is basically a cartoon. If you want to see "real" bodies just look around you...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I find the stupidest thing is that you can't even tell she's the same person.
  • allymacary
    allymacary Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Ladies, it's impossible to look like all the magazine ads out there. IMPOSSIBLE. So please, I'm begging you, let's stop beating ourselves and each other up!! IT IS NOT REAL!

I have to say, last week I had the chance to talk to four wonderfully beautiful women in their early 20's. They all had such a healthy outlook on body image, something I know my generation did not have. It gave me such hope that we are headed in the right direction. We're not there yet, by a long shot, there are still so many insecure young women out there (who don't need to be!) but talking to these girls and seeing this video has made me see that we are most certainly making positive progress :)

Have a good day everyone, Happy Halloween!!!!!
  • Firefighter4ever
    Options
    Not too be mean but I think you lady's are crazy for even picking up some of the mags on the shelf. I see my wife with her head buried into a woman's style mag and I just shake my head. Everything is fake and unacheievable by the average person.

I'm an old fashion guy who appreciates the view of a real woman with natural curves. I think you lady's should do your best to keep heathly naturally and rock what God gave ya.

All women are beautiful in their own way.
  • mylars
    mylars Posts: 12
    Options
    We know in the back of our heads that Magazine covers are fake. I buy it anyway for advice on different workout routines.

I don't really care about the cover because I know it's not me. :)
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    That was an extreme example. BUT you can obviously achieve something very similar. You won't get taller/ lengthen your limbs but you can get in great shape.

Just look at the success stories here on mfp.

People are too negative and don't want to work for their results IMO.

I've never met anyone that was not positive that didn't achieve their results. Sure it won't happen over night, days, week or months in some cases but YOU CAN DO IT over years.

Koing
  • elyelyse
    Options
    We know in the back of our heads that Magazine covers are fake. I buy it anyway for advice on different workout routines.

You'd be surprised how many people have no idea the extremes to which these images are manipulated. My sister, 37 years old, fantastic figure, VERY fit, pretty, amazing hair, great sense of style, smart, a doctor! I told her she looked like a fitness model...she argued with me and pointed out all the ways shes not perfect, compared to a magazine cover...then i showed her that Dove Evolution video....she was SHOCKED! She had NO idea it was taken to that extreme, and she sent the link to all her friends, because they didn't have a clue how much those images are manipulated.

So, if my super smart, 37 year old sister didn't realize it...imagine the impact it has on the majority of young women (and men) who see these images and think they just been "touched up a little." Not only does it create body image issues for women...it also creates false expectations in young men. (and yes, I realize photos of men are manipulated to hell as well)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I think most people assume minor retouching. Blemish removal. Smooth an edge. Whiten teeth. Not wholesale body reshaping of the type in the OP.
  • elyelyse
    Options
    That was an extreme example. BUT you can obviously achieve something very similar. You won't get taller/ lengthen your limbs but you can get in great shape.

Just look at the success stories here on mfp.

People are too negative and don't want to work for their results IMO.

I've never met anyone that was not positive that didn't achieve their results. Sure it won't happen over night, days, week or months in some cases but YOU CAN DO IT over years.

Koing
    If it was possible for people to do it just through hard work...why are photos of the worlds most amazingly beautiful fit people still modified like crazy for public consumption? Even the worlds most beautiful people aren't beautiful enough.

I think the entire point is that this "extreme example" is the norm, and no, most people, no matter how hard they work, can never ever ever ever ever achieve those types of results no matter how much they work on eating right and exercising. It doesn't mean I shouldn't work hard to be the best me I can be...but it does mean I should have a reasonable, realistic goal...not a goal set by these extreme unnatural manipulations. The very idea that most people can achieve similar results just sets us up for failure...the photos are not even close to real...why should I expect my body will ever look anything like them?
  • sdirks
    sdirks Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! Good to keep in mind that anything seen in print media is an UNREALISTIC expectation for our own bodies!

My ideal body shape comes from a photo of my Mom on her wedding day. She had curves but was healthy, pretty, and very photogenic at that size. She died of cancer when I was young, so I try to remember her from old pictures, rather than remember how she looked when she was going through chemo and radiation. When I look at her picture, I can legitimately say to myself "When I reach my goals, I'll look like that." And in many ways, I already do.

I can't imagine what it's like for young people (men and women alike) whose perception of attainable beauty is magazine photoshop. No wonder diagnosis of depression and anxiety in kids is through the roof. Our culture needs a reality check when it comes to the images we produce.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Not too be mean but I think you lady's are crazy for even picking up some of the mags on the shelf. I see my wife with her head buried into a woman's style mag and I just shake my head. Everything is fake and unacheievable by the average person.

This is me too. Additionally, and not to be mean, but I'm always shocked at the naivety.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Another example!

Dove Evolution...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hibyAJOSW8U

Yes another great example! Thanks for sharing!
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    One of the worst parts of this whole concept for me is that the girl was already at an ideal "goal size" for most of us. Then to see that even that size doesn't please society...that's sad.