Vegan Cupcakes!

Options
SamanthaD1218
SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
Hi all! I started eating vegan about two weeks ago to try to lower my ridiculously high cholesterol. My office is having a Halloween party today, and I always make cute cupcakes for our parties (I love to decorate cake!). I wanted to still make cupcakes but had no idea if there would be a tasy vegan option.

Well... THERE IS! These cupcakes just might be better than the normal cupcakes I make, and they bake really quickly (only 15 minutes for mine). The frosting is also vegan and is the perfect consistency for piping into cute designs or just spreading on top.

Here they are:

2hxy2dj.png

In hindsight, I wish I had made the flower thingy green so it could look like a pumpin top or something. But I suppose purple and orange is still Halloweeny.

CUPCAKES:

1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups almond milk 1/2 tsp salt
2 cups all-purpose flour 1/2 cup coconut oil, warmed until liquid
1 cup white sugar 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 12 cup muffin pans or line with 18 paper baking cups.

2. Measure the apple cider vinegar into a 2 cup measuring cup. Fill with almond milk to make 1 1/2 cups. Let stand until curdled, about 5 minutes. In a large bowl, Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk mixture, coconut oil and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir just until blended. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups, dividing evenly.

3. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 15 to 20 minutes. Cool in the pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange the cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with desired frosting.

FROSTING:

1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer

1. Beat the shortening and margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes.

2. Add the vanilla and soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.

I used food coloring to dye my frosting, and then topped my cupcakes with marshmallows, which I cut diagonally to make "petals" and dipped in colored sprinkles to add a little excitement. These cupcakes are super moist and very sweet. YUM!

Replies

• TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump, very cute cupcakes btw!
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe :)
  • linzijoy
    linzijoy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    BUMP for the lactose intollerant over here!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    they look good
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LOVE IT!
  • BorntoROAR
    BorntoROAR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    YUMMO!!!!! But I love cake. LOVE it. Period. End of story.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if you created a recipe for this in your log, and what the calories ended up at for each cupcake? I can/will enter it if you haven't already, just thought I'd save myself the steps.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that too, eating vegan for health starting today!

And those cupcakes look awesome! I work at a health food store, and I've actually come to like vegan baked goods more than ones made with milk, butter, and eggs. I don't know how that happened, but it did.