What's Your Favorite Ab Routine???

Options
I've completely neglected my abs, I know I know bad move. I figured with enough compound movements they would magically appear. But now I think it's time that I start showing them some love. With proper nutrition I've gone down to 15% bf and I should be seeing more definition. I see the lines but now It's time to make them POP.

So what's your favorite Ab Routine?????

Replies

• MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Hanging leg raises all day. You can also hold a medicine ball between your feet for more of a challenge.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Some of my faves:

Crunchy Frog
    Bicycle
    Full sit up with medicine ball, sometimes with twist
    Bridge/pelvic thrust
    V crunch
    double crunches
    squirms
    planks
    bird-dogs
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    With proper nutrition I've gone down to 15% bf and I should be seeing more definition. I see the lines but now It's time to make them POP.

You simply need to lose more fat. 15% won't show much (for a guy) in the way of abs.

For the original question, I do weighted decline crunches to help with my squats & deads. Proper chin/pull-ups also hit the abs pretty good.

edit: Just realized you were a woman - your pp shows a man's torso on top. Oops. In that case, you shouldn't have to lose more fat.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A couple of favorites:

Cable Ab Crunches
    Barbell Floor Wipers
    Hanging Leg Raises (knees to chest)
    Ab Wheel Rollouts
    Ab Wheel Pike
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Captains chair
    Rocky's
    Planks - regular and side
    Side planks with a dip
    Regular crunches
    Ab wheel
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 6 week 6 pack. I love the cardio in there! OH and planks, everything from basic planks to mountain climbers! they rock!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Not that I've been doing them long enough to see results, but I do standing cable crunches.

Abs are no different from any other muscle group, you have to be doing something to increase the weight and keep the stimulated.

Also, it's common for people to think that the abs are getting hit on the compound lifts (kinda taking the "full body exercise" concept a little too far). Abs are used, but they aren't sufficiently stressed. Same thing goes for a few other isolated muscles like the biceps, lateral delt head (and rear delt if you're not doing rows), and hammies (though when the weight gets truely heavey on deads, this is debatable).
  • fityese
    fityese Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Blogilates: Abs on Fire (from You Tube). It was challenging from day 1 until now.
  • BrentJulius
    BrentJulius Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do high rep ab work about twice a week at the end of a workout: crunches, hanging leg lifts etc, and one heavy day a week as follows:

Weighted barbell incline sit ups 3 sets of 15
    Hanging windshield wipers 3 sets to failure
    Hanging toes to bar 3 sets to failure
    cable crunch 3 sets of 15
    Plank 1-3 minutes
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not that I've been doing them long enough to see results, but I do standing cable crunches.

Abs are no different from any other muscle group, you have to be doing something to increase the weight and keep the stimulated.

Also, it's common for people to think that the abs are getting hit on the compound lifts (kinda taking the "full body exercise" concept a little too far). Abs are used, but they aren't sufficiently stressed. Same thing goes for a few other isolated muscles like the biceps, lateral delt head (and rear delt if you're not doing rows), and hammies (though when the weight gets truely heavey on deads, this is debatable).

http://i.imgur.com/NWuKQJp.jpg

I've done a lot of squats and olympic lifts...

My favourite is weighted decline sit ups and lifting as much as possible without a belt. I also do dragon flags as well. But weighted decline sit ups are the absolute bomb imo.

Koing
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Other than compounds I don't do anything but a occasional plank and that is rare.

My abs pop through my diet.