Irregular bowel movement. Any tips?

Options

Replies

• haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Decrease your sodium to around 1500, drink more than 1/2 your body weight in oz for water, & increase your potassium with a goal of 40% your goal weight, by eating more bunny foods (salads & veggies). I have an issue with this myself & have found that it helps tremendously!!

Add me if you'd like to be on my support team!!! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough dietary fat? fat helps the digestive tract stay lubricated among other things.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    It is perfectly normal to not go every day. Just make sure you are getting enough fluids and fiber. In fact (a funny story). I was going way too often until I discovered my DH was trying to help me by putting fiber in my coffee every morning, at the same time I was eating an really high fiber diet. ;D
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    probiotics...get some live cultures in you. You can take a pill or get it through your diet. I personally like eating non-pasteurized, fermented foods for this purpose.
  • Cathy_ann913
    Cathy_ann913 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's not usual not to poop everyday especially if your intake has decreased. However if you're feeling constipated try Flaxseed oil capsules and a no calorie Sobe (the sweetener acts as a laxative). That'll do the trick! Trust me it works, you'll create something that you may want to brag about! Good luck! ;-)
  • I take a probiotic pill every morning and that seems to help me!
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Can't believe I'm commenting on this thread but caffeine. No seriously, caffeine.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the bowel and rectum need to be retrained to poop. After you eat large meals, something hot in the morning (coffee) go sit on the toilet for 10 minutes and practice. You can google bowel retraining. I know totally gross.

Although it is normal for some people not to go everyday I would die if I didn't go at least 1 time a day. I thought everyone had a morning BM.

My husbands granny used to shoot a shot glass of maloox regular after she drank her coffee and she was running to the bathroom within 30 mins. My grandmother on the other hand begs for the diarhea from the stomach flu because she has diverticulitus and her bowels don't move. She also finds fiber makes it worse.

UGH TMI sorry.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    You may also need to decrease your dairy intake, cheese, milk, banana's, bread, rice, applesauce are all know for constipation.

unless your lactose intolerant of course
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I want to poop once a day. I feel uncomfortable not being able to poop daily. :(

Physically uncomfortable? Or mentally uncomfortable? If physically, what part feels uncomfortable? The stomach? Or do you just feel like you have to poop but can't?

Yeah, somewhat mentally, because I feel it is much healthier to poop daily, like to detorxify...

No.

As long as you're not having abdominal pain, and your bowel movements aren't painful or otherwise rather uncomfortable, then everything is fine.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can't believe I'm commenting on this thread but caffeine. No seriously, caffeine.

I've tried this before, and it works. Maybe I should include caffeine back in my diet.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the bowel and rectum need to be retrained to poop. After you eat large meals, something hot in the morning (coffee) go sit on the toilet for 10 minutes and practice. You can google bowel retraining. I know totally gross.

Although it is normal for some people not to go everyday I would die if I didn't go at least 1 time a day. I thought everyone had a morning BM.

My husbands granny used to shoot a shot glass of maloox regular after she drank her coffee and she was running to the bathroom within 30 mins. My grandmother on the other hand begs for the diarhea from the stomach flu because she has diverticulitus and her bowels don't move. She also finds fiber makes it worse.

UGH TMI sorry.

My mom always give this advice, to sit and wait for a few minutes. Its just that I'm too lazy! Ugh.. Need to practice this! hahaha! Thanks! :)
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    drink more than 1/2 your body weight in oz for water

Yikes! What? Half of your body weight?!

As long as you drink enough fluid to pee about 1 - 1.5 litres a day, you're fine.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Make like an accountant and sit down and work it out with a pencil.

Sorry, I'll show myself out.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as a general point, raising your feet slightly as you are seated helps (something like the Yellow Pages is perfect). Rocking back and forth as you are seated is also alleged to encourage movement.

Seriously. Try it!
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Check your cheese intake & try fresh pineapple.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It's the something about weight loss no one ever tell you. Your gut slows down. I've done the prunes, coffee, Mg, more fiber, more water...ect.

The only thing that works for me is to get an osmotic shift going in my colon in other words I have to drink a big sugared drink, and usually within 30 minutes I can go. I think there are some medications that can have the same effect, but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

If youre not willing to drink sugar, and of course I understand, then stay hydrated and eat a lot of food with soluble fiber like apples and bananas to ensure that when you finally do pass that stool is soft and not hard and painful.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I started having troubles after i increased my amount of crunches i did daily. Went to see the doc n found out in women with weak pelvic floors ( previous prolopases, hysterectomy, or problems with pelvic floor running in the family) can have the bowels drop into the vaginal vault and causes issues like constipation or trouble moving bowel .. Not something i would of ever thought of surely. With softeners and reducing the amount of crunches it has helped but sometimes its good obviously to see your physician even if its minor when its persistent. This is no joke either when im severely desperate and nothing seems to be moving right. 1 Mcdonalds cheeseburger cures it. lol I dont do take out more than once a month and rarely touch fast food at all anymore but sometimes that greasy McD is better than the best laxative lol thats fast food for ya
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I shy away from pills too, but whenever I have any problem in this area that 2 prunes don't cure I take one tablet of Colace (cheap dollar store brand is fine) and within 2 days I have a serious BM that is not painful or diarrhea like. For me this happens about once a month (unrelated to TOM), the rest of the time I go every day or almost.
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Make like an accountant and sit down and work it out with a pencil.

Sorry, I'll show myself out.

OMG I literally snorted tea out of my nose laughing after reading this. XD