Fruit causing my sugar to skyrocket. This ok?

Options
So for breakfast this entire week I've been slamming Fruit and Kale drinks via my Nutri-Bullet. Usually a banana, some strawberry's, and an apple or something to that effect.

This uses 95% of my sugar (before a workout) allotted to me daily. I might have one more piece of fruit again depending on what I'm feeling. Lunch usually consists of moderate carbs and protein. Dinner is usually almost all protein. Regardless, I always seem to go over my sugar intake because of breakfast.

Is this ok?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Are you monitoring blood sugar for any medical reasons? A lot of fruit has fiber, which helps regulate your blood sugar, so it will raise and lower gently, rather than spiking up sharply then declining rapidly.
  • Zephlar
    Zephlar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Negative. Just trying to make sure my diet is as efficient and healthy as possible.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, do not worry about it. Sugar is a carb, track that number.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not diabetic, sugar is can be viewed as just a carb, if you are still at or under your carbs for the day the you are fine. I would actually suggest not bothering to track it as the amount MFP has is the guideline for added sugar, but the diary does not distinguish between natural or added, not to mention you already track carbs, sugar is a carb.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    fruit sugar isn't bad for you, unless there's a medical condition (e.g. diabetes) that makes it so. personally I ignore sugar levels, and try to get a balanced amount of protein, fat and carbohydrate (without worrying too much if that's from starch or sugar)

If you're hitting your calorie goals overall, and getting enough protein and fat and you don't have a medical condition that means you have to limit sugar, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    The sugar count in your food diary on here is really to monitor the added sugars. I was in a thread the other day asking the same thing and it's just that MFP doesn't distinguish between naturally occuring sugars (like in fruits) and added sugars. Unless you're monitoring it for medical reasons, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? If not, then it's fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So long as you don't have a medical condition and it's not interfering with hitting your other macro goals, don't worry about it.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    If you are concerned, you can create a meal called Fruits & Vegatables. Then you can just subtract those sugars out and then you will come close to what would be monitoring the "added sugars". Otherwise, just ignore it. In my main diary, I deleted sugars and added potassium and fiber. Two things which I felt were more important than monitoring sugar.
  • sugarfree123
    sugarfree123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Our bodies can only tolerate a small amount of sugar in the bloodstream at any one time. We must either burn the sugar or store it or we would die. That is where insulin comes into play. It is the storage hormone. If all the storage cells are full then the level of glucose in the blood remains high. Excess glucose is turned into triglycerides. If the glucose in the bloodstream is elevated then you CANNOT burn stored fat because your body needs to get that extra glucose out of the blood stream. Hopefully that makes sense. Not saying never to eat fruit or carbs. I do. You should just understand how your body works. I do not have diabetes but I have a glucometer from walmart and I know exactly how high my glucose will get from eating 1 banana. my glucose increases from about 70 to around 120 in one hour. I still eat bananas.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^ Realitively heavy exercise should take care of this. A banana is about 110 calories. Not sure how much of it is from sugars but let's just for the sake of argument most of it. If you eat your banana about a half hour before a workout or a run, I can burn this in about 10 minutes on the treadmill at 6 MPH.
  • joe3166
    joe3166 Posts: 78
    Options
    you could always veto most of the fruit for veggies instead, just keep enough banana, grapes, pineapple, or strawberries in your smoothie so it doesn't taste like grass
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    sugar is just a carb. as long as you're minimizing carbs, you're ok.
    however fructose can only be managed by the liver and excess fructose is not good for the liver as it contributes to non alcoholic fatty liver disease. hence fruit juice, HFCS, etc. are all pretty hard on the liver. whole fruit with fiber is better, but sugary drinks like fruit juice should be avoided.
  • Zephlar
    Zephlar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice you guys. Appreciate it more than you know.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Our bodies can only tolerate a small amount of sugar in the bloodstream at any one time. We must either burn the sugar or store it or we would die. That is where insulin comes into play. It is the storage hormone. If all the storage cells are full then the level of glucose in the blood remains high. Excess glucose is turned into triglycerides. If the glucose in the bloodstream is elevated then you CANNOT burn stored fat because your body needs to get that extra glucose out of the blood stream. Hopefully that makes sense. Not saying never to eat fruit or carbs. I do. You should just understand how your body works. I do not have diabetes but I have a glucometer from walmart and I know exactly how high my glucose will get from eating 1 banana. my glucose increases from about 70 to around 120 in one hour. I still eat bananas.
    LOL
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    LOL

Funny but true.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana, strawberry, greek yogurt and protein powder smoothie after my workout. Reason being I burn off my glucose levels first thing in the morning so I need to resupply. I am also type 2 diabetic and have found no problems so far, however if I drink the smoothie pre workout and have a mid morning apple about 2 hours after my workout I start to feel "sugary" if thats even a word..
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    If I were to ever eat fruit it would be post workout....havn't had fruit in 7 months and not a banana..I'll never understand why people eat bananas post workout when they contain fructose which convert to liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. To me there's nothing a piece of fruit can give me (aside from satiety purposes) that a good multivitamin can't. When I'm stacking my 400g of carbs for the day I'd rather have it in the form of whole grains/veggies. Thats just me, everyone is different.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    ^^^^^^^^^ Certain vitamins absorb better when they are consumed naturally in foods or in combination of other foods. I have not done all the research to be able to quote facts coherently, but in general getting your vitamins via natural food sources is much better than getting them from supplements. Bananas provide a high dose of potassium (as does other food sources). Potassium is a necessary electrolyte that you loose from heavy workouts. I guess you can drink a sports drink like Gatorade to replace that, but then you would be consuming "added sugars" which is the very basic topic of this thread and increases your sodium levels. Getting all the potassium that mfp advises is a challange, so eating as many food sources that supply potassium is greatly advised. Cutting out something as basic as "all fruits" greatly hinders getting all your nutrients in. Also, eating whole fruits (and vegatables) also provides fiber which is necessary for your digestion track.
  • theopenforum
    theopenforum Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    as all my fitness homies have said, unless your diabetic then its fine. However I would suggest not mixing it with bad fats otherwise the spike may cause you to gain weight

cheers,

Tof