Water weight?????

ashlee954
ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey guys. I just have a quick question. I have read many responses to multiple posts regarding water weight and it has sparked some curiosity. One response I read (I do not know in response to what) stated that the first few pounds (3-10 lbs) lost can be water weight. Why water weight? Eating healthier and drinking more water causes water weight loss? If so, why is this? Thanks guys!

Replies

• sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    When you start on a diet, your body will first consume what is most easily accessible. For most of us, it is glucose in our blood stream/muscles that is always there (I believe I read somewhere that each of us has about 3 pounds of this "sugar water"). So, when you start eating a deficit, that water is easily accessible to be used (doesn't require breaking down of fat/muscle) and therefore goes away first.

At least, that is how I've always understood it - unless someone has a better answer. :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you are properly hydrated your body thinks more water will be coming and will expel it along with waste, whereas if you don't drink enough your body holds on to it as long as it can as it is not sure when the next drink is coming. And if you are eating healthy more likely you are taking in less sodium which makes your body retain water, less sodium, less water retention.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Exactly what everyone else has said. If you don't drink enough water, your body holds onto it, so once you start drinking the water, it knows it doesn't need it so it gets rid of it. Also, you can retain water by eating too much sodium so that's another way you can release water by eating better, i.e.: foods with less sodium.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Thanks for the responses. I have always drank about 10 glasses of water per day and I have not changed my sodium intake. Does this mean it is safe to assume that maybe my weight loss is actually fat and not from water shedding? Either way I am glad to be down 4 lbs, regardless of its origin. I was just wondering if the water weight loss concept was actually in fact applying to me since I haven't changed my water or sodium habits. Thanks again!!!
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    I recently discovered a healthy way to lose water weight - nettle tea! I had a hard time finding nettle tea at first but finally came across it at a health food store in my parents hometown. I'm sure there's other options for water shed out there but I love this one because its got health properties as well :)
This discussion has been closed.