Am I wrong for not giving out candy this year?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Just leave your lights off and you're good to go. :-)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    NOPE!, we hand out rocks, no one knows, it is dark.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I haven't given halloween candy to anyone in decades for moral/religious reasons. But regarding the children on my block, each year, earlyish in October, I go to their homes to remind them that we don't do halloween, and I give them a gift, telling them that I appreciate each one. I admit that I do this because I really love and enjoy the children, and I don't want them to think otherwise.
  • CardiacKev28
    CardiacKev28 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Personally I say do what you want. we don't give it out anymore. Last year we had over 350 kids(they bus them in from everywhere) We don't even have more than 5 kids in the neighborhood. Plus if I buy it I might be tempted to eat it so nope on that.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I am very blessed to live in a wonderful neighborhood, with safe streets and unfortunately droves of trick or treaters. You see the trucks, vans and cars drive in to our neighborhood loaded with trick or treaters, from areas that are not all that safe for trick or treating. Last year we had over 200 trick or treaters.

This year, due to having surgery and not being able to answer the door every two minutes, I will not be handing out candy. Makes me sad, but there's always next year!!!
  • HunterKiller_deleted
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that. I on the other hand am giving out candy laced with poison. Trick!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am totally bummed out that I won't be handing out candy this year!! I do it every year! Even when I lived in a neighborhood with close to no kids and I only got 2 trick or treaters.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    we haven't given out candy since our son went to college. Halloween happens to be our anniversary (30 years today) and we go out to dinner. Didn't get to do that for 18 years. We also live on a quiet cul-de-sac and don't get much traffic anyway.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the "lights off" thing doesn't seem to work very well in my neighborhood. When we run out of candy we turn off the lights and put a sign on the door, but there are always kids that still ring the doorbell. Usually teenagers that really should know better. Bahumbug!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the "lights off" thing doesn't seem to work very well in my neighborhood. When we run out of candy we turn off the lights and put a sign on the door, but there are always kids that still ring the doorbell. Usually teenagers that really should know better. Bahumbug!

We once had a kid show up WITH HIS PARENTS at 11 p.m.

WTH! But I still enjoy doing it.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    If you feel bad about it, you could always just get some candy, put it in a bowl or cauldron or something, and be that house with the "take one" sign. :P Kids will probably dump the whole thing in their bags eventually, but it'll keep you from being bothered. Once it's empty the rest of the trick or treaters will be disappointed but probably leave without even ringing.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm just handing out gummy bears this year. Figure it should cut down on the number of kids I see next year.

http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummy-Candy-Sugarless-5-Pound/product-reviews/B000EVQWKC
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Just turn off your porch light and draw the dining room shades.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I loved Halloween when I was a kid. And my kids loved trick or treating as well.
    I don't see any reason to stop giving out candy just because my kids are grown.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Oh you guys!

I went to Family Dollar and bought a bag of Smarties and Pixie Sticks. Worst comes to worst I will be out $2 and I can drop them off in the dining room of an adult care facility.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Good idea