Holiday Meal Recipes

Options
The Holidays are the hardest time of year for me! There's nothing I don't love to eat this time of year. Does anyone have any healthy holiday recipes? My husband and I don't cook with salt and I'd like to limit the amount of butter and sugar. Some cookie recipes have a cup of butter and then 1 1/2 cups of sugar! Yuck!

If you have a great appetizer recipe, main dish, or dessert, share it! I'd love to see what you have!

Replies

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    The Holidays are the hardest time of year for me! There's nothing I don't love to eat this time of year. Does anyone have any healthy holiday recipes? My husband and I don't cook with salt and I'd like to limit the amount of butter and sugar. Some cookie recipes have a cup of butter and then 1 1/2 cups of sugar! Yuck!

If you have a great appetizer recipe, main dish, or dessert, share it! I'd love to see what you have!

Off the hip, I'm thinking crock pot turkey. Basically apply your favourite dry rub, adding half a cup of water or beer, or a low-sodium or no-sodium stock, place in your crock pot and cook for 8 hours.

For your cranberry sauce, consider cranberries, chia seeds, honey or sugar to taste. But if you're finicky about the sugar then I would substitute the cranberries with a sweeter profile berry and that way, you may do without the sugar or honey altogether.

I would prep this (the cranberry sauce) the day before, so it sets like jelly.

For sides, I'm certain you don't need suggestions there.

For cakes, I would look into the 2 ingredient varieties. Basically cake box mix plus a no sugar apple sauce or yoghurt or a can of pumpkin. For your cookies, you may use the 2 ingredient cake principle. It'll be chewier with a less crunch.

I don't recommend the banana oatmeal, but it might likely be within the realm of your approved restrictions (no sugar). I have personally tried peanut butter cookies sweetened with dates, only that I fear that sugar is sugar once it enters into the system, no matter the delivery system. That was basically peanut butter, almonds, pitted dates, vanilla, all thrown into the food processor, rolled into balls, refrigerated, smoothed with the fork, refrigerated some more for an hour, then "Voila."
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lots of recipes on skinnytaste.com.
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options

If you're limiting your butter and sugar, then I guess you really don't want my infamous Yummy Yam Casserole. lol
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Another option is to bake Turkey and veggies in the oven using a Reynolds Turkey Oven Bag. Naturally, you would give your Turkey the usual brine or whatever bath you choose prior to draining and drying before a final flavour rub(dry or wet) ~ > place in bag already lining your Turkey Baking Pan and secure the opening with the provided tie. This might be more helpful to you flavour + moisture sensitive, given your restrictions@your husbands condition.

If you're being overtly cautious ~ watch for the natural sodium content in veggies and grains et al.