almond milk vrs soy milk

Options
Hi can anyone tell me which is better for you please?

thanks

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say either is better for you. I like the taste of soy milk better but with a history of breast cancer in my family I avoid soy because of the estrogens.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I believe soy has complete protein, while almonds do not. However that is only one small part of the comparison. Which one is better depends on your personal goals/preferences.

I would rather drink milk milk.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think soy is better for me because it has more protein and that's the goal I struggle most to hit. Soy has higher protein and calories (outside sweeteners). Almond has less calories but little protein.

If you have a tree nut allergy, avoid almond milk.

If you have a soy allergy, avoid soy milk.

Otherwise it's pretty much personal preference.
  • bigmamaonamission
    Options
    thank you for your replys i only want a bit each day with my oats however i cant eat or drink any dairy products hence needing the alternative.
    thanks
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    to my thoughts fortified soy milk has the most compatibility as far as nutrients go to dairy milk. Taste wise soy is chalky to me, but almond is sweet.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I don't like soy milk. I really like almond milk, the unsweetened version. I cook my oats with that.

I tried the one sweetened with lactose first, because that health food store didn't have any other kind.

I've seen lots of different brands in peoples diaries, so if you don't like one, try another brand.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Try goat milk.

If I were to pick between one or the other, I would say almond because almonds are very easy to digest. Soy is one of the most difficult foods to digest that we encounter on a regular basis.

However, almond milk is high in fat, soy milk is "high" in protein. Really, I'd say it's up to personal preference.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Almond all the way. I don't want all the estrogens in soy milk.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    From some research I as doing on nutrition I understand that soy is the only non animal product whose protein contains all of the essential amino acids so from a protein point of view it would be better than almond.

I would think a lot of it would be down to personal preference though
  • bcattoes
    Options
    From some research I as doing on nutrition I understand that soy is the only non animal product whose protein contains all of the essential amino acids so from a protein point of view it would be better than almond.

I think quinoa contains complete protein too.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Try goat milk.

If I were to pick between one or the other, I would say almond because almonds are very easy to digest. Soy is one of the most difficult foods to digest that we encounter on a regular basis.

However, almond milk is high in fat, soy milk is "high" in protein. Really, I'd say it's up to personal preference.

Almond milk is high in fat?
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I like to cook and make smoothies with unsweetened almond milk because it has a little more substance than water but it doesn't have that thick chalky aftertaste soy has. Of course, some people like the thick chalky aftertaste. So, yes, personal preference :)
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

I think quinoa contains complete protein too.

Quinoa wasn't mentioned so that is great to know, thanks :-)
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Soy milk has more protein than almond milk, but Almond Milk has less calories, fat and carbs. I'm not a fan of the taste of soy milk so I drink almond milk or coconut milk.

My favorite brand of almond milk is Almond Breeze Original Unsweetened. It has 30 cal, 2.5g fat, 1 carb, 1g protein, 45% calcium, 25% Vitamin D, and 50% Vitamin E in a cup.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened Almond Breeze in cooking, but I don't care for that tang it has, like super sour real milk. I prefer the sweetened Vanilla if it's going in my cereal or coffee or a cup for me to drink.
  • starryeyes52
    Options
    apparently most soy products have been genetically modified so unless you can find one that has the no GMO seal on it I would use Almond unsweetened milk
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    apparently most soy products have been genetically modified so unless you can find one that has the no GMO seal on it I would use Almond unsweetened milk
    [/quote

Agree 100% 85% of all soy in the US is GMO... stay away

And almond milk is not "fatty".. 1 cup has 2.5 grams of fat, and it is heathy nut fat....

So unless you have a nut allergy go for the almond milk..

I also love coconut milk.
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have almond milk with cereal, but soy in my lattes as hot almond milk is disgusting.
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I like coconut milk. Lots of calcium and low calorie count.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, this is wrong. I've never seen a brand of soy milk that wasn't non-GMO. Soy foods like soy milk, tofu, edamame, etc. are non-GMO and usually organic.

GMO soy is used almost exclusively to make soy additives. You get these by eating fast food, processed foods, frozen meals, etc.