How did you determine your goals weight?

I am just wondering because according to the BMI graph and at 5' 2" I should be 130lbs but I found this website...

http://www.mybodygallery.com/index.html

and I would be happy with being 150lbs. What are your opinions of that site??

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    How can we determine the accuracy of the information provided? Every body is different, and I think you should continue to restrict calories until you've reached a body shape you like, then switch to maintenance calories. There's no need for prognostication, you'll know your best body when you see it.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Mine isn't so much a weight as a waist measurement.

Because I want to keep being able to wear the beautiful clothes I bought when I lived overseas 4 years ago. :): wink:
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    Mine isn't so much a weight as a waist measurement.

Because I want to keep being able to wear the beautiful clothes I bought when I lived overseas 4 years ago. :): wink:

I like this idea.... I just can't do this without a goal... I can't just eat well and exercise until I have my dream body... I need something to work towards.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    I wanna be the 60 year old woman who still fits and wears beautiful suits she has had for 20+ years.

:)
  • new guy here. response: my goal based on last time I could do all the things I wanted to. Those charts... bah! In the military I was 18# over and they ran me extra. I was in great shape already. By the end of boot camp, I lost 2# and set an new course record! Still 16# over weight; according to the "official charts". Just saying...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I did mine based on BF%. If I were to even get down into the mid range of what BMI said I should be for my height and age, I'd have to burn off a ton of muscle.
  • CountryGirl8542
    CountryGirl8542 Posts: 449 Member
    I did mine based on BF%. If I were to even get down into the mid range of what BMI said I should be for my height and age, I'd have to burn off a ton of muscle.

This is a really good idea also. Do you know if the body fat percentage scales are accurate?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Found a "celebrity" body that looked compatible with my genetics, and took that as my target for weight and body fat.
  • booradleymo
    booradleymo Posts: 11 Member
    I use both BMI and body fat % to make my weight loss goals. I've used this website to calculate about where I am body fat wise (since I don't own calipers, know how to use them, or want to pay someone to pinch my fat. haha!). It has four different methods of calculating bf% and one calculator that kind of combines all four methods (that's the one I've linked to). Some of the methods are going to be more accurate for different body types than others, so play around.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

There are inaccuracies since these calculators give simply estimates, but I figure the guidelines we follow (like the BMI chart and what BF% is healthy, etc) are also estimates. As a side note, my BMI range is 122-164 . . . Anything under 141 would actually put me at too low a bf% according to the calculators, so . . .