Will eating back exercise calories affect weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat at least some of the extra calories your body will just hold on to what it has, primarily fat molecules. If you eat some of the extra calories your body will be more willing to not hold on to the fat and will allow the muscles to develop. I earned back around 1200 calories today due to football. A relative is on here and she goes by the goal of eating back around 2/3 of 'extra calories' she had stayed the same weight for 2 weeks without doing this, did this for a week and lost 3lb. So if you have have 600 'extra' eat at least 400. Hope this helps

Bullchips. This is junk "science". If depriving our bodies of calories caused people to gain weight, then why are famine victims so skinny? Your body doesn't "hold onto" fat "molecules" (they're CELLS, by the way, molecules are groups of atoms) just because you didn't have enough Doritos today.

What an utterly pompous and sarcastic response....be nice, it won't cost you anything!

How about "no"? :drinker:

How about "grow up"? :laugh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat at least some of the extra calories your body will just hold on to what it has, primarily fat molecules. If you eat some of the extra calories your body will be more willing to not hold on to the fat and will allow the muscles to develop. I earned back around 1200 calories today due to football. A relative is on here and she goes by the goal of eating back around 2/3 of 'extra calories' she had stayed the same weight for 2 weeks without doing this, did this for a week and lost 3lb. So if you have have 600 'extra' eat at least 400. Hope this helps

Bullchips. This is junk "science". If depriving our bodies of calories caused people to gain weight, then why are famine victims so skinny? Your body doesn't "hold onto" fat "molecules" (they're CELLS, by the way, molecules are groups of atoms) just because you didn't have enough Doritos today.

What an utterly pompous and sarcastic response....be nice, it won't cost you anything!

In, for the inevitable 'mean people' thread.
  • Failing2Thrive
    Options
    I eat them if I am having a hungry day :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My friend list is yelling at me for not telling you that your calorie burn is likely inaccurate. I usually only burn about 350 calories for an hour of walking on the treadmill at a pretty steep incline and a pretty fast pace. It's unlikely you burned 600 calories doing the 30DS and half an hour on the elliptical.

So there you go, Dave, happy now? (the answer is no, Dave is never happy) :flowerforyou:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Two things

First MFP over calculates burns. 30 minutes on the elliptical is closer to 300 calories not 600.
    Second, if you didn't eat them back your net would be 900. So yes, you would lose faster but you aren't really feeding yourself for the effort provided. You are likelier to have issues long term by under eating - not necessarily, but higher muscles loss, hunger, tiredness, aptitude to binge are are all signs of under eating.

Exercise for fitness, feed your efforts reasonably.

I think you're misreading the OP's second post. She said she still is 200 calories under her basic 1200 calorie goal (gross), but MFP says she's 600 below, so she must be counting 400 calories for the 30 minutes on the elliptical PLUS 30 minutes shred.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I ate my exercise calories. It's worked out pretty well. :smile:
  • Ralphone
    Ralphone Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    u can eat the 600 and still be ok have used mfp for almost 2 years and have lost 60 lbson days i run i get about 1200 cals i alway i mean always eat them and have lost the whole way was to 258 at 200 now have beeen as low as 195 its ok to the 600 cals
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    My friend list is yelling at me for not telling you that your calorie burn is likely inaccurate. I usually only burn about 350 calories for an hour of walking on the treadmill at a pretty steep incline and a pretty fast pace. It's unlikely you burned 600 calories doing the 30DS and half an hour on the elliptical.

So there you go, Dave, happy now? (the answer is no, Dave is never happy) :flowerforyou:

THIS IS MY HAPPY FACE