Chicken and a Spinach Bacon Saute

Options
StuAblett
StuAblett Posts: 1,141 Member
This is something really simple I make for dinner all the time, it is quick and very tasty, low fat and low calorie.

First off, my shopping has gotten much healthier.....

healthy_shopping.jpg

Nothing from a cardboard box :bigsmile:

What I made for dinner tonight, dunno what to call it :happy:

First I cut up a bag of spinach, not too much, basically in half, make sure it is well rinsed.

I put that in the frying pan with about 1/2 cup of water and 1 tbsp of Mirin (Japanese cooking wine/spice)
I then cut up about 3 cloves of garlic and add that
Next is 1 piece of bacon, I chop this up into about 1/4" wide strips, this too goes in the pan.
Cook covered on medium heat for about 2 minutes, then remove the lid and cook until the liquid is reduced, don't let it get too dry, but also don't serve it runny.

remove from the frying pan.

While that was going on I took a couple of pieces of chicken thigh meat only and chopped it up into bits about 3/4" square, I soak this in about a quarter cup of sake with a tbsp of Mirin, let it sit while the Spinach is cooking, maybe 15 minutes.

Put the Mirin and sake as well as the chicken into the frying pan on medium heat, add just a bit of white pepper, if you like. cooks slowly with the lid on for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then remove the lid and again let it reduce, when it is almost completely reduced the Mirin and sake will start to caramelize, make sure you toss the chicken around in this before it gets too dry, again, don't over cook, you want the chicken covered in the caramelized sauce but still juicy in the middle, the pieces are small so they will cook quickly. Remove and put on a dish, I like to add some fresh raw veggie, today it was yellow bell pepper, but celery or cucumber as well as carrots work fine too.

here it is.....

chicken_spinach_bacon.jpg

190 Cal -- Chicken 90g
70 Cal -- Mirin 2 tbsp
80 Cal -- Sake 1/4 cup*
50 Cal -- Spinich one bag
15 Cal -- 3 gloves of garlic
40 Cal -- 1 slice of bacon
15 Cal -- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper
==========================
460 calories

* I don't know, but I think when you cook the sake and reduce it, a lot of the calories go up in fumes, as the alcohol is pretty much all burned off.

I also round up my numbers, it is 44 calories, I make it 50, just to be on the safe side.

I'm just saying this most likely comes in below 400 calories and it is really healthy, fat free and TASTY!

Cheers"

Replies

• ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Looks delish! But with chicken and bacon, it's definitely NOT fat-free. But it's still pretty low-fat. Good work!
  • trotters24
    Options
    Yummy! Can't wait to try this.

Thanks for posting - love the pics! :smile:
  • StuAblett
    Options
    Looks delish! But with chicken and bacon, it's definitely NOT fat-free. But it's still pretty low-fat. Good work!

Yes, you are correct, it is not "Fat Free" I did not really mean to say that, it is low fat, I mean one piece of bacon and skinless chicken thigh meat...?

I was curious, I looked it up, 100g of the skinless chicken thigh meat
    Total Fat 9 g
    Saturated 3 g
    Polyunsaturated 2 g
    Monounsaturated 4 g
    Trans 0 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Sugars 0 g

One slice of Bacon
    Total Fat 3 g
    Saturated 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g
    Monounsaturated 1 g
    Trans 0 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Sugars 0 g

I see 12g of fat, not bad, IMHO :bigsmile:

and TASTY!
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea. I love spinach and eat it both cooked and raw all the time. I'll be giving this a try.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    lord how I miss pearl sake... none of the silly "state stores" here carry it :angry:
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options

Yes, you are correct, it is not "Fat Free" I did not really mean to say that, it is low fat, I mean one piece of bacon and skinless chicken thigh meat...?

I was curious, I looked it up, 100g of the skinless chicken thigh meat
    Total Fat 9 g
    Saturated 3 g
    Polyunsaturated 2 g
    Monounsaturated 4 g
    Trans 0 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Sugars 0 g

One slice of Bacon
    Total Fat 3 g
    Saturated 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 1 g
    Monounsaturated 1 g
    Trans 0 g
    Total Carbs 0 g
    Sugars 0 g

I see 12g of fat, not bad, IMHO :bigsmile:

and TASTY!

Agreed. A culinary and nutritional triumph!
  • StuAblett
    Options
    I'm glad you guys liked it, I'll try posting more stuff, I'm a fairly good cook, a good baker, but my lovely wife is a REALLY good cook, so I'll just borrow her ideas :bigsmile: