calories in medicine

Precious_Nissa
Precious_Nissa Posts: 416
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I know this is a crazy crazy question but I have or need to know...

Prescribed pills such as heart medicine, diabetes medicine, etc.....do they have calories in those pills? what about hormones such as estroven?

Replies

• raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    LOL, I don't know if or how many cals are in such meds but this has crossed my mind before also. The only pill I take is a baby asprin every morning (because I have this little irrational fear of heart attacks and strokes), but they're the chewable kind and they're nice and sweet and taste kinda good so I'm thinking my baby asprin definitely contains calories. Sometimes I take an extra one at night for the sugar LOL. Just a little harmless, secret indulgence of mine.

FWIW, if I'm not mistaken, a plain M &M only has about 6 -8 cals so I doubt if there's any significant calories in taking a few pills
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    I'd think most of them have some kind of starch for binding the thing together, but I agree with raymj61, there probably isn't a significant amount. Given that the meds you've listed are important ones (like, you really do need to take them to live), I would caution you against logging them as a calorie source, because I know on a bad day I might not eat healthy food because I'm over my calories, and in my mind it's not that much of a stretch that I wouldn't take meds "just this once". Not sure if you're the same way as me (sometimes I let my calorie count take over my life)... but like I said, I don't think an additional few calories will make a difference if tehy're associated with something that you need to live.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I know this is a crazy crazy question but I have or need to know...

Prescribed pills such as heart medicine, diabetes medicine, etc.....do they have calories in those pills? what about hormones such as estroven?

Forget the calories in medicines, regardless of how many they may contain, for conditions such as you describe the medication would be a necessity, therefore just put the calories out of your head for those.

(I bet they would be negligible if the truth be known anyway) :wink:
  • NO they wouldnt be neglible....I count every crumb or sip that passes my lips ....anywho....its not a big deal because I have to take the medicines...they are a requirement but I noticed they dont have nutrional facts and it would be nice to just know.
This discussion has been closed.