Asda pasta

Options
I buy fresh pasta a lot. It's tastier, quicker to boil, and has more protein than the dry stuff.

And Asda fresh tagliatelle, at 179 cals for 1/2 a pack (a very decent 125 g before cooking) have become a staple of my diet.

However, I was shopping at Tesco the other day and their fresh pasta - same ingredients, same amount of egg - has nearly twice the cals for the same amount. And so does Sainsbury's. So I'm beginning to wonder whether they might not have underestimated it...

Also, for dry pasta, I like the Asda Oat&Wheat wholegrain pasta shapes (marketed for kids, but who cares). But that, too, seems to have much fewer cals than dry pasta bought elsewhere. It says on the packet to allow "50g per child" and has measurement increments on it for 50g dry increments, then gives the calories for "50g cooked" - but maybe they mean 50g cooked weight?

Anyone know how to double check this stuff?

Replies

• ciral
    ciral Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    179 cals for 1/2 a pack sounds far too low. I've noticed the potion sizes on the non-stuffed pastas (ie. not tortellini or ravioli) are typically 4 per pack.

I think there's a typo on the tagliatelle packaging. If you look on Asda's site at Spaghetti and Linguine they both list 179 cals for 1/4 pack. The raw ingredients for the other fresh pastas are exactly the same.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Weigh dry pasta weight
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Weigh dry pasta weight
    Hardly an option for fresh pasta. :)
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    And Asda fresh tagliatelle, at 179 cals for 1/2 a pack (a very decent 125 g before cooking) have become a staple of my diet.

I've just had a look online and it says 143 cals per 100g boiled - 179 cals per 1/4 pack
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    sorry cant help on the pasta front but love the profile pic - a DR.Who fan by any chance?
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    179 cals for 1/2 a pack sounds far too low. I've noticed the potion sizes on the non-stuffed pastas (ie. not tortellini or ravioli) are typically 4 per pack.

I think there's a typo on the tagliatelle packaging. If you look on Asda's site at Spaghetti and Linguine they both list 179 cals for 1/4 pack. The raw ingredients for the other fresh pastas are exactly the same.

I buy the smaller 250g bag since it's just me eating it - still works out at 179 per 125g.

(And yes, that was my last-minute Halloween costume - Tom Baker is still the best Doctor!)