Conversion & people. A tip.

Options
For those who complain about having to search online all the time to get stone to kg or lb, or Kcal to kilojoules or whatever....just know this.

Your windows calculator has all that built in. Hit.... view...then select unit conversion.....

Just a thought :happy:

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how much that little built in thing has.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Did not know that - you are a very useful person :smile:

I just remever that there's 2.2 lb to the kilo, and use a calculator! Also, google now has the convert thingy so you don't have to trawl any more.
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    *goes to calculator* *hits view* nope - no unit conversion for me!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    *goes to calculator* *hits view* nope - no unit conversion for me!

Well then you are in trouble. It's built into Windows calc. View, then unit conversion. OR just hit CTRL+U
  • workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    nope - it might not help that I am on my works pc and its pretty damn old - is it a windows 7 feature cause its not on this XP crap!
  • CubicalF13
    CubicalF13 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    yeh i am using windows 7 also.

And for quicker access bind one of your unused keyboard buttons to the calculator.

following article explains how to bind an application to a keyboard button - http://superuser.com/questions/246948/how-can-i-bind-a-keyboard-shortcut-to-start-a-specific-application-in-windows-7

you can also find youtube videos on how. search for keyboard binding.
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Oh sweet! That makes things a little easier then :)
  • dancephysics
    Options
    Or, just go to Google, type in, for example, "100 g to oz" (or whatever conversion you want to do) and Google will convert it for you, right from the search bar. This also works for Google on your smart phone.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    hey!! cool beans!! thanks :flowerforyou:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    yeh i am using windows 7 also.

And for quicker access bind one of your unused keyboard buttons to the calculator.

following article explains how to bind an application to a keyboard button - http://superuser.com/questions/246948/how-can-i-bind-a-keyboard-shortcut-to-start-a-specific-application-in-windows-7

you can also find youtube videos on how. search for keyboard binding.

Did not think of that. I have my calc pinned to my taskbar anyway so it's only a click away.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Nice tip. This is the only time I've ever changed any setting other than calc type, history, or digit grouping. You can even calc diff between dates. Hmm.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had no idea. Thanks lol.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I like this one http://xkcd.com/526/

:)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I have an App for that :smile:
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I didn't know that so that's cool. I have Windows 8.1 so it's different. No "view" just "converter". Still, I think I can use the Google calculator faster.

You don't have to search Google for the answers, the calculator is built in. In fact, you can just speak it. "Convert 100 pounds to kilograms." Done.
  • mdabacon
    mdabacon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ask Siri! She knows. ;-) Just say "how many grams in an ounce" or "85 grams is how many ounces" She will tell you the conversion.