upset & discouraged :(

I am feeling so upset with myself I could literally cry. I failed at keeping my word to myself yesterday about eating healthy & I don't know how I'll ever stop being fat if I can't even follow through with what I tell myself I'm going to do. So discouraged! I don't see how I can become thin & healthy when I'm so compulsive around food. This has been my pattern for as long as I can remember. After years of trying to change and screwing up again, I'm feeling angry at myself and pretty hopeless.

Here's what happened- I woke up kinda tired & stressed yesterday so I knew I was at a risk for a binge. The good thing is that I was aware of it, wrote a note about it to my new MFP friends :), & felt encouraged and empowered to make healthy choices. I ate a healthy breakfast, brought lunch to work, didn't eat any of the piles of Halloween candy at the office, and then even fit in some exercise by walking the 35 minutes from work to my friend's party.

Because I figured there would be junky food there, I stopped at Pret on the way there and bought a delicious & healthy $9 salad to bring with me. When I got to the party, I told my friend I was starting to eat healthy & she was fine with that (in other words, it would have been cool for me to just eat the salad whenever I wanted during the party). BUT INSTEAD I proceeded to eat bean layered dip, hot artichoke dip, tortilla chips, manchego cheese, etc. & drink too much wine, and instead of staying for 2 hours, I stayed for over 4 & got home at 12:30am, at which point I ate some more, watched Nashville, & went to bed at 2am (so now I'm tired & discouraged & feel like I'll never be successful at this even though I really tried.) And I even forgot to bring home the untouched salad from my friend's fridge!

Sorry to rant, I'm just very upset with myself & feel so discouraged! I mean, I even brought a delicious (& expensive!) 300 calorie salad as a supportive treat, and instead I ate 3000 calories. Becoming thinner seems impossible right now :(.

If you have any words of wisdom or encouragement from your own experience, I'd sure welcome it.

Replies

• nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Been there! Done that! More often than I care to admit. :ohwell: I'm sorry that you had a bad day - BUT that's all that it was. One bad day. Stop stressing. You still have that yummy salad that you can have for lunch/dinner today. Just because you over ate yesterday doesn't mean that you have to today. Get back on track today with your diet and drink lots of water. The only way that one day will derail your path is if you allow it too. You'll be fine! Pick yourself up, brush yourself off, get back at it. :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If you have any words of wisdom or encouragement from your own experience, I'd sure welcome it.

It's in the past. Stop obsessing about things you can't change and start focusing on today, which is totally within your control.
  • Thank you nyboer, I really appreciate your suggestions and encouragement. It feels like I just un-did all the effort I've made all week with one night of losing it, so I need to remember that "the only way this one day will derail my path is if I allow it too." Going to re-read your reply throughout the day!!!
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    You know what? You didn't gain it in a day. Wise words by one of my friends here on MFP. This happened to me just this Tuesday when I ate a whole pint of ice cream. It happens! Just pick yourself up and do better the next day :smile:
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    It happens. Last night I had too many pieces of halloween candy that didn't leave me feeling satisfied so I had two sandwiches. Those put me over my calories. I began to feel terrible as well until I let go and realized tomorrow (today) is a new day and start back at zero. What's done is done.
  • That's such a good point, bcattoes. I am sitting here feeling miserable and taking all my focus away from where I have the power to do something...today/now. Thank u for the wisdom & support!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Forward. Ever forward. The salad will make a great lunch. We can't spend the energy beating ourselves up. Beat a punching bag instead or exercise extra hard. Parties are notorious for doing this and it will probably not be the last party you attend. Drink lots of water and have a great November 1st.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Agree with the others. It was one day. Shake it off and get back on track. None of us got fat by having one bad day. When I've had one of those days, I always go back and see what I could have done differently. I always find that eating BERORE I go to a party helps. I would probably feel awkward eating a salad at a party, but if I ate it before I got there, the other junk would be less tempting.

Go get some exercise and get back to logging. You can do this!
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I find it very hard to resist junk food, high calorie food, and sweets (stuff that tastes good....). Meal planning is essential for me, plus facing the fact that I'm a food addict.

The salad wasn't enough for you. You probably also needed a mental treat to survive the night. Next time eat a regular meal so you are absolutely full before you head to a party. That's the one thing that has saved me during social occasions because my self control is so poor. Once you're there, there are several things you can do, like drink water and eat something small on a small plate and take forever to eat it.

But don't beat yourself up! Richard Branson, the billionaire executive, said this about being a leader: "Make a decision, make a mistake, move on."
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Just like everyone said - move on. You recognized where you went wrong and now you feel awful. Sometimes feeling awful can serve us as a reminder the next time in that situation. but, do NOT let it ruin your day, your month, or your plan. Pounds come off and on one pound at a time. Just bounce back on track and do not beat yourself up over it. What's done is done. You can't change yesterday but the future is all yours!
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    We have all had moments like that.....over and over and over again.....that is why many of us are have been on MFP for at least a year and really haven't lost weight. There are so many aspects of this weight loss thing and we tend to try to just tackle one of them....FOOD. We obviously have learned what we should eat and what we shouldn't eat but until we get into our own minds, we will never fix the problem. I have tried to give myself reassurance after 4 days of good and then chomping down 4 pieces of pizza and several glasses of sweet tea. The sad thing is that I hear myself tell people that I have been "trying" to lose this weight for 4 years and it won't budge. Hell, it isn't going to budge at the rate I was going. We all have a button inside of us that can empower us to do anything we want.....we just have to figure out what it going to push that button. For me, I had to take a hard look at myself and acknowledge that it isn't my age, it is beig perimenopausal, it isn't because my thyroid must be broke....it is because I haven't loved myself enough to make it happen. Would you ever consider talking a dieting friend into nacho cheese, chips and dip.....candy? No, not because you don't want her to enjoy herself but because you care about her. So does it make sense to you that if you care about yourself, I mean truly care about yourself, that you would want what is best for yourself? I say a poster last week. It had a fat, out of shape woman against a wall with a very fit woman standing in front of her pointing her finger in her face saying "what else are you half assing in your life". That poster slapped me in the face because I realized that was exactly how I was living my life....half assing everything, especially my weight loss and fitness efforts. I made my own little poster and laminated and hung it on my bathroom mirror and everyday I tell myself I will not half *kitten* the day away...that I will give it my all. Since then, I have not even been tempted to indulge myself or make excuses. I am not going to half *kitten* the care I have for myself nor half *kitten* my love.

Dry off your face and tonight find some time to really think about what it is you want and what it is going to take to get it. Instead of talking negatively to yourself, convince yourself that you ARE worth every bit of effort and every sacrifice it is going to take. Convince yourself that there is no more half assing!!!!!
  • Thank you jfauci, lizzy622, rayfu75, & a_healthier_m, I appreciate your support!!! Such good points about how I didn't gain it in a day...realizing I need to take a longer view of this (wanting results immediately, which isn't realistic or helpful!) Gotta let last night go (even though it has a powerful pull on me). But your words are waking me up..."what's done is done" & I can "pick myself up" & go "forward, ever forward!"

Lizzy, I like that point about not spending energy beating myself up. Better to use that energy eating well and exercising today.

Jfauci, I like the "shaking it off & getting back on track" & thanks for the "you can do this!" :) Good point about reflecting on what I could have done differently. I totally agree that next time I'll eat the salad BEFORE I show up at the party. Once I was hungry, the cheese & layered bean dip & chips etc were too tempting. I can see I made progress by realizing I need to buy food before I go to a party, and now I know that next time, I'll eat it first!

I'm going to re-read all these posts throughout the day, so thanks again everyone!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    We have all had moments like that.....over and over and over again.....that is why many of us are have been on MFP for at least a year and really haven't lost weight. There are so many aspects of this weight loss thing and we tend to try to just tackle one of them....FOOD. We obviously have learned what we should eat and what we shouldn't eat but until we get into our own minds, we will never fix the problem. I have tried to give myself reassurance after 4 days of good and then chomping down 4 pieces of pizza and several glasses of sweet tea. The sad thing is that I hear myself tell people that I have been "trying" to lose this weight for 4 years and it won't budge. Hell, it isn't going to budge at the rate I was going. We all have a button inside of us that can empower us to do anything we want.....we just have to figure out what it going to push that button. For me, I had to take a hard look at myself and acknowledge that it isn't my age, it is beig perimenopausal, it isn't because my thyroid must be broke....it is because I haven't loved myself enough to make it happen. Would you ever consider talking a dieting friend into nacho cheese, chips and dip.....candy? No, not because you don't want her to enjoy herself but because you care about her. So does it make sense to you that if you care about yourself, I mean truly care about yourself, that you would want what is best for yourself? I say a poster last week. It had a fat, out of shape woman against a wall with a very fit woman standing in front of her pointing her finger in her face saying "what else are you half assing in your life". That poster slapped me in the face because I realized that was exactly how I was living my life....half assing everything, especially my weight loss and fitness efforts. I made my own little poster and laminated and hung it on my bathroom mirror and everyday I tell myself I will not half *kitten* the day away...that I will give it my all. Since then, I have not even been tempted to indulge myself or make excuses. I am not going to half *kitten* the care I have for myself nor half *kitten* my love.

Dry off your face and tonight find some time to really think about what it is you want and what it is going to take to get it. Instead of talking negatively to yourself, convince yourself that you ARE worth every bit of effort and every sacrifice it is going to take. Convince yourself that there is no more half assing!!!!!

Love every word of this!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I think it's setting yourself up for guilt if u go to a party with a salad.
    Everyone partying, eating, drinking etc and you with your salad. Of course ur gonna join in the fun!
    I can't do the eating before eating thing at all or I wind up eating double or triple.
    I simply eat lightly as in lots of veggies and some protein during the day of the party and do a good workout.
    At the party, I'm careful but I don't deprive myself of things I really want.
    No guilt and I wake up to a new day of eating well and moving my body!
  • Start again tomorrow!! We've all been there. It's the worst feeling ever and nothing I say will make you not have it but please know you can just start again and keep going!! Good for you being open about it here and reaching out for support. Keep going, you will be so glad that you did. Maybe just avoid those social situations for now until you feel a bit stronger. You're doing great, keep going. A little slip up won't matter a few months from now.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    We all have setbacks. Last night I had a chicken cheesesteak, fries, and about 4 beers that I did not anticipate having. Today is a new day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,894 Member
    You're aware. That's good. Here's a great rule of thumb I tell my clients.

You can have a bad day, a bad week and even a bad month, but if you stay pretty consistent, you'll never have a bad year. It happens.
    Lots of people have great intentions when it comes to certain events, but sometimes you have to let loose. Don't have negative feelings towards food. When one does, they fight temptation every day. Always better to figure out how you can fit those foods in that you like within reason.

Just chalk it up to one bad day then get back on track.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • What's important with any kind of change is that you keep at it after a lapse... I do lapse sometimes myself, but usually it's planned and I fully intend to enjoy it, knowing that the next day I'll be right back on track. The other thing to remember is willpower is a limited resource... you used it all up through out the day by sticking to your plan or even just by going through a day of work! Then by the end of the day you have nothing left, and then temptation is stronger...

You have to remember though that willpower can grow the more you use it!!!!! So the more you deplete your willpower, the stronger it will get, as long as you take lapses in stride and ENJOY THEM!!!

EDIT: The more you do something, the less you'll need to use willpower to do it, because it will just have become a habit and you won't even be thinking about it. So the point is that it's not the lapses that count but whatever you did before and after a lapse for the new behaviour to become a habit. The day after a lapse is NOT a new start, because that would be denying all that you did before! Try to count a running streak of days you stick to the plan, and after a lapse start the count again and try to beat your previous running streak.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    I am presuming that you stayed longer than you planned because you were having fun. Don't spoil it, feel happy! Give yourself a bit of lea-way to let go every now and again. I would highly recommend these links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
    http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/

Essentially, they advocate a flexible approach to dieting so that the post-party guilt doesn't happen. You need to set yourself up for a permanant healthy lifestyle, not just while you are trying to lose weight. That will involve the odd unhealthy day, so psychologically you need to teach yourself it's ok, every now and again.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    3000 calories is not a deal breaker. (look at my diary last saturday). If you're eating a 500 calorie deficit every day (l lb/week loss in theory), a 3000 calorie day means this week, you will lose 0.85 Lb. Just not a big deal.

Oh sure the scale may go wild, show you up 2 or 3 lbs today/tomorrow .. but that's just normal variance, water, solar flares, whatever .. not truly meaningful. The math above is all that really matters. (use your real numbers to find the real impact - but it's minimal)

The other thing is .. I hope you mean the $9 for the salad was the treat, and you're not considering the salad itself to be the treat ..

When I worked across from this restaurant: http://www.paparazzitrattoria.com/_pdf/menus/lunch-paparazzi.pdf

I would get this salad many fridays: MANZO* beef tenderloin, mesculin greens, chopped tomatoes, sweet red onions, gorgonzola, red wine vinaigrette 15.99

I figured that if I was going to be eating a lot of salads, I deserved an epic one from time to time ..