Can't run because of shin splints

Options

Replies

• DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Alright, so you have unsuccessfully tried everything that everything everyone has offered to you. You win. Sounds like it's time to see a doctor.

Or a PT, or maybe just suck it up, or try something different....
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    When I had shin splints, my dad had me do toe raises on the edge of a stair. You put your toes on the edge and then lower your heels as far down as possible and then raise them up as high as possible. He would have me do them 3-4 times a day as many as I could do. I was skeptical because it seems like you are working the wrong part of the leg but within a week they were a ton better and within a few weeks they were gone. I still continue to do them when ever I think about it and they have never come back.
  • mrsg2006
    mrsg2006 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do you run on pavement or treadmill? Asphalt or concrete? Changing the surface you run on might help.

I was wondering this myself....
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I had terrible shin pain when I started C25k. It would get so bad that I overcompensated by trying to run different ways (on toes, ball of foot, no heel), and my feet fell asleep, while jogging. It was crazy (and I was always in danger of falling).

To get rid of the pain, I slowed down, took much smaller strides (sometimes during the first days of a new week, it seems like I'm faster when I'm doing the brisk walk instead of the jog, but over time my speed increases) and I will repeat days (so if I end a day with awful pain, I will repeat that day until I have no pain). To get rid of the foot sleeping, I changed the lacing on one of my shoes (the foot that fell asleep more would start at my toes, so I didn't cross at the top, only at the bottom).

I really feel like running barefoot of with those minimal shoes would be the best for me, but my changes have helped with the pain for now (and again, I repeat days until I can finish a day without pain). For example, I'm in the middle of week 4 now but I've been doing it since September 16.

I also make sure I'm not "leaning forward" too much. I do this by lowering my hands to my waist level, and relaxing my shoulders.

So yeah - what worked for me was slowing down, taking shorter strides, repeating days, trying to stay more upright, and re-lacing my shoes. As a point of reference, I'm morbidly obese, on week 4 of C25k, and walking/jogging about 2 miles in the program (which goes from 28-32 minutes, depending on the week) without pain.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm an obese runner and never had this problem, you probably can't blame it on the weight. Sometimes I get aches and pains, but never instantly.

If you have really tried everything else, like getting fitted for shoes, trying to run on a different surface, etc. Then it's time to:

go see a doctor
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Why are you so set on running?

Ride a bike.
  • DeltaZero
    Options

Ride a bike.

Please don't offer him any common sense answers. He only wants to hear answers he's expecting.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    When I had shin splints, my dad had me do toe raises on the edge of a stair. You put your toes on the edge and then lower your heels as far down as possible and then raise them up as high as possible. He would have me do them 3-4 times a day as many as I could do. I was skeptical because it seems like you are working the wrong part of the leg but within a week they were a ton better and within a few weeks they were gone. I still continue to do them when ever I think about it and they have never come back.

That was good advice. Sometimes the shin pain is due to weak calves. Weak calves cause more work for the shins.

It could also be caused by excessive heel striking or just too much too soon. You can increase cadence which should help heel striking, maybe take a Good Form Running class.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Ride a bike.

Please don't offer him any common sense answers. He only wants to hear answers he's expecting.

^^QFT
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

I thought I was done in here, but I so baffled by what the answers he is expecting are. I don't really think there are any other logical answers. Oh wait, I think I've got it...

Shin removal surgery!!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I don't need to be told 'go to a doctor'. If that's your advice move on. Looking for useful experience and insight if you have it.

Actually, I think maybe you do need to be told that since you seem to have not done it. It's the most obvious course of action, and probably the most effective.

You say you're not a runner. Why not do something other than run?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are caused by the terrible toos - too much, too soon, too hard.

This. I went to my doctor (because when you are in pain, that's the normal thing to do) and she told me the above. Too much too soon. Instead of running start walking. Once you've gotten your endurance/fitness/distance down, then slowly incorporate someyhing like c25k.

In other words, walk - don't run.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't need to be told 'go to a doctor'. If that's your advice move on. Looking for useful experience and insight if you have it.

How about a sports physiotherapist then?

You need professional help mate, that's the long and the short of it.

Don't turn a niggle into a chronic condition.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Actually, I think maybe you do need to be told that since you seem to have not done it. It's the most obvious course of action, and probably the most effective.

I agree...Maybe you shouldn't run. This topic is FILLED with wonderful advice and you have shot everyone down because you seem to have "tried it all".
  • DeltaZero
    Options

I agree...Maybe you shouldn't run. This topic is FILLED with wonderful advice and you have shot everyone down because you seem to have "tried it all".

And yet, despite all the awesome information that is dismissed. It comes down to the disclaimer that is on every page:

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

Thus.

Go see a....

That's right...

tumblr_mo35tqP6UC1ssaguko1_250.gif
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Can't do c25k, running for even 30 secs is difficult. I have rested long enough to be fully recovered only to get the pain again from trying. And I can't run that fast, best I can manage is a jog speed, sometimes barely faster than a fast walk.

If that is the speed you can run without pain then that is the speed you should go to begin with. lots of people start too fast and get shin splints - slower is better - speed will come with time.

If you can't even manage a very slow jog without pain then yes - it is time to go the Dr's because that is not normal
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna throw this out there. I had headaches daily for over a year. I convinced myself it was dehydration, tension headaches, etc. Finally went to the doctor after some additional symptoms came into the picture...turns out I have a rare brain disorder and needed brain surgery in order to continue living.

So yeah, that's all.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You have asked for useful experience.

My experience is similar to yours. I wanted to run, but never could because of recurrent knee problems.

I... went to a doctor. I'd tell you the what he did, but it's pointless because you aren't me.

Now I regularly run 6 - 10 mile routes, 15 - 20 miles a week, I run intervals, I hill-run, I trail run, I run a sub-25 minute 5k. I'm considering a half marathon in April, and a triathlon in August. I can conceivably see a full marathon in the next two years.

Seriously, man. Go see a doctor. That's what they are there for.

If you don't want to see a doctor, give up on your running aspirations. Best case it's going nowhere. Worst case you are going to injure yourself seriously, and permanently. Sorry to be blunt, but that's just the way it is.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    For the record I haven't said I didn't see doctors or that I wouldn't continue to see doctors. For those of you that offered useful and practical experience rather than assumptions and accusations, thank you. Useful information is what I was looking for and that was much appreciated.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If NOTHING has helped then I'm thinking you aren't actually giving yourself enough time to heal before running again. If the shin splints are severe enough it may be stress fractures and those can take MONTHS to heal. I'd double your recovery time, even when you think you're better give it another couple of weeks and then take the advice that the majority has posted (which is also what has worked for me!) Get some comfy minimalist shoes (not saying no padding at all but something w/ a very small degree of drop from heal to toe), start with short distances, slow your pace, and don't over stride. Also remember to take rest days!

My two cents.