I would like some running friends. Anyone out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am running the Chicago Marathon too...did the rock and roll half a few weeks ago...it would be great to be buddies
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Last February I got back into running with the C25K after a 12-year break. I've done a few 5Ks and a triathlon. Another tri and a 5K swim coming up. I'm planning to do a 10K run in October. I have questions about the running training though. When I ran cross country I just did what the coach said. When I ran as an adult I'd just go out and pound miles -- no real training per se. So for those with some experience...

How do you keep track for the speed workouts? I live in a semi-rural area and my iPhone GPS doesn't always track where I am well enough to use many of the iPhone running apps. It claimed I ran over 7 miles in 49 minutes the other day -- I wish! Do you go to a track, use a watch, or have some other method?

I tend to do better when I have something telling me what to do, like the C25k app. That app made running a no-brainer. Just follow the commands of the nice British lady. Exercise is when I work through and release all the stress in my life. Keeping track of sets and times and all that seems like work and detracts from my enjoyment. So ways to include pace workouts without using a ton of extra brain power would be great. I'd lik to improve my speed as well as increase my milage.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions on organization and tools. But, any suggestions would be welcome.
  • makinitcount44
    makinitcount44 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Last February I got back into running with the C25K after a 12-year break. I've done a few 5Ks and a triathlon. Another tri and a 5K swim coming up. I'm planning to do a 10K run in October. I have questions about the running training though. When I ran cross country I just did what the coach said. When I ran as an adult I'd just go out and pound miles -- no real training per se. So for those with some experience...

How do you keep track for the speed workouts? I live in a semi-rural area and my iPhone GPS doesn't always track where I am well enough to use many of the iPhone running apps. It claimed I ran over 7 miles in 49 minutes the other day -- I wish! Do you go to a track, use a watch, or have some other method?

I tend to do better when I have something telling me what to do, like the C25k app. That app made running a no-brainer. Just follow the commands of the nice British lady. Exercise is when I work through and release all the stress in my life. Keeping track of sets and times and all that seems like work and detracts from my enjoyment. So ways to include pace workouts without using a ton of extra brain power would be great. I'd lik to improve my speed as well as increase my milage.

I guess I'm asking for suggestions on organization and tools. But, any suggestions would be welcome.

I wondering about speedwork as well???
  • Sarah101010
    Options

• Sarah101010
    Options

I wondering about speedwork as well???

Hi!

I usually do my mid week runs on the treadmill and do my speed work by time. For instance this week I was to run 6 miles with 5 sets of 3 minutes fast followed by 3 minutes of recovery. You could just use time outside too.

Some programs go by time and some go by distance. If you are supposed to do 3X400m, I would either measure it out or just estimate it with time. Depending on your normal speed, it would be 1.5-3ish minutes. I don't think being exact is nearly as important as just speeding it up a few times per speed workout.

Or you could be like my dad. He lives in the country and picks up the pace for a certain number of telephone poles that he passes. :)

I hope this helps! I'm not expert, that's for sure! By the way, my 16 miler somehow went fantastic today and I was so nervous! WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Have a great weekend!!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    we are friends now..I am also doing the Chicago marathong...what are you aiming to run this weekend? I am shooting for 16 miles. Where are you running your long runs?
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    we are friends now..I am also doing the Chicago marathong...what are you aiming to run this weekend? I am shooting for 16 miles. Where are you running your long runs?

My run was today. 16 miles. I ran it on the treadmill because humidity was at 100% all morning with lots of fog. How about you? Good luck!!
  • Actuaryan
    Options
    Awesome job with your 16 miles! And on a treadmill even!

I'm running 10 in the morning-wish me luck!