Is this some sort of JOKE?!?!?!

Options

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I've skimmed through the other posts and seen pretty much everything that I would say, so I won't say it again.

Instead, I'll just send you an internet hugh :heart: :flowerforyou: I've had the same frustration with the scale from time to time (and with other things in life). I know that emotions happen, sometimes beyond logic. So just breathe, hug, and when you are ready you can step back into the game ready to kick butt even more than before :wink:
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I had several points of weight where I got hung up and fluctuated before I finally went below. 200 was one of them. 180 and 160 were my other two. I don't know if it's something mental we do to ourselves out of some sort of fear or if it's just our bodies resisting change but I do know how frustrating it can be.

Keep moving, keep eating in moderation and keep the faith. This is a temporary set back. It is most likely not a gain but a fluctuation. Don't let it get you down and most of all don't let it take your eyes off of your goals for one second.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I have been doing SO AWESOME at this lifestyle change since I started in August, but this has literally been the worst week ever.

Also, really think about that word you are using..."lifestyle". The first part of that word is "life"...as in for life...as in forever. this isn't about today or tomorrow or next week or next month or even next year or the next decade. Health, nutrition, and fitness are lifetime endeavors. There is no finish line...you are never "done".

You are going to have bad days and good days and bad weeks and good weeks and hell, you're even going to have bad months...it happens...but when you're truly living a "lifestyle" of proper nutrition and fitness, these bad days and weeks are just meaningless blips in what is otherwise pure and unadulterated awesomeness.

This week was just one out of about 4,000 that the average person has over their lifetime...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that it's water retention? That time of the month? Did you eat nearly 7000 calories over maintenance that would cause you to gain fat? If not....you didn't gain 1.8lbs of fat.

No PMS, not even close to it. I might go over 1200 calories once every other week, so probably not. It is just heartbreaking b/c I am a spaz!
    Ovulation always caused the scale to go up two for me.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have been doing SO AWESOME at this lifestyle change since I started in August, but this has literally been the worst week ever.

Yes, I am throwing myself a pity party so if you don't want to hear it or you have any more negativity to add to my week, go away, I can't take your ****. If any of you know me, you know I am extremely sensitive, and incredibly nice to everyone, even if they don't deserve it. So honestly it is very unlike me to even be posting this right now.

Back to the point... I had finally lost 27 pounds. I have never been able to lose 10 pounds before so this was a HUGE deal for me. I was 3 pounds away from being back in the 100s and my life was MADE. I was still 203 pounds but I was ECSTATIC!
    Anyhow, I wasn't doing anything different, I was working so hard to see that 199, but guess what happened when I got up on weigh in day this week? I crossed my fingers and with a big smile on my face saw 204.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't give me the "1.8 pounds? It is fine honey, don't worry about it!" speech, it won't help. My jaw hit the floor and the tears started pouring, I couldn't believe that I had gained weight back. I am seriously almost depressed over this. I never go over my calories, I eat what I am supposed to... I don't know what I did wrong.

Then I have to listen to my boyfriend "There is something wrong with the scale, baby. Stop beating yourself up, blah blah blah blah blah blah." ....Well guess what? It is dropping for him, so obviously there is something wrong with me and not the f'ing scale. Then he insists on hugging me and holding me and continuing to tell me its nothing and its going to be okay and that just reminds me that I failed myself. I can't get it through his sweet *kitten* head that he is making it worse. If he would just leave me alone I would be okay.

I am just so scared that I am going to balloon back up to 230 or more and I can't take it. I don't want to be that person anymore.
    I am homesick as hell, and I can't go home again until like January... Yea, no family for me on Thanksgiving or Christmas. Just a 500 sq. foot apartment, a college campus down the street, and a crap ton of people I don't even like. But of course I am going to smile and act like I am peachy keen!

FML.

From reading what you wrote, seems as if you have too much anger in you. Take a long walk and try to look at things differently if you can. Not being able to go home for Thanksgiving and Christmas may be a sad time, but stop thinking about yourself and do something for someone whose needs may be greater than yours - help out at a homeless shelter over the holidays, go to the local hospital and read to someone, do something that would make someone happy for the holidays. Someone we get so caught up in ourselves and forget the world around us.

On gaining weight, I know how you feel, because you are finally seeing a change in your body, only to be gaining once again. Spend some time going over your meals, did you enter everything into the diary, were they days when you were overeating. Check out your diary for the last two weeks and see what can be changed and how. It is not the end of the world, and being stressed out is not going to make the situation nay easier. This is a long journey you have undertaken, you did not become fat overnight and you will not become slim overnight. Spend some time pampering yourself, you deserve it.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Well, I can't see your diary or your goals but would suggest you do what has worked for my wife and I. carbohydrate restriction.
    start by visiting the keto calculator and reset your MFP goals to the goals it suggests. drop your carbs to under 100 a day maximum and work towards a basic level of 50 grams of carbs per day over the next 6 weeks. START eating a HIGH FAT Moderate Protein low carb diet and you'll see how quickly you are at 135lbs and wonder what was so hard about that.

I mean it. need help, reach out to me. taken a lot of folks through this now, and they all agree that it worked.

yes, I said HIGH FAT.
  • LVCeltGirl
    Options
    It sounds like you've gotten a lot of encouragement but let me add mine. After every loss, I gain a little back. I'd dropped 3 lbs at the beginning of the week (after a 2 lb gain that showed on a Biggest Loser Challenge at work weigh-in), only to gain back 1.6 lbs due to not sleeping enough, or drinking enough water (lips are showing signs of dehydration for me, which means either my sodium intake is up or right now 1 gallon of water is not enough for me daily) or something like that.

I know how it feels as I've been bad and weighing myself daily (you shouldn't, it can get discouraging with how our bodies change daily). But there are going to be these ups and downs. It's always something stupid too like not getting enough sleep (my body needs 8 hours or it'll hold onto every ounce it can) or not drinking enough water but doing everything else right to include tracking and keeping in my calorie range.

You're making the right changes and the scale will reflect it. I've got a better guideline for weight loss, how are your clothes fitting? I'm able to fit into a pair of jeans that I was given and could not zip up two weeks ago. That's a better indication for me than a # on the scale. I've always said that the scale could say that I weigh 400 lbs as long as I look like I weigh 145 lbs.

Keep up the good work.
  • Sarahcuda
    Options
    ::hugs::

This sounds like me the last 2 years. Scale going all over the place even when I am counting EVERY SINGLE F****** calorie and working my butt off.
    Plus the missing family and friends is really hard (I lived in another state for 2 years and had to go an entire year without seeing anyone from home. Talk about homesick and depressed.)

It is hard, but you will do it. Hopefully next week you will have a "whoosh" of weight loss and you won't hate the scale (as much)!
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    1.8.........hate to be blunt but when was the last time you took a good dump ???
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I totally get this! There is a psychological component of this lifestyle that is hard to ignore. That first number on a scale is really a big frakking deal when you haven't seen it in years! Seeing it change to a 1 from a 2 (or 2 from 3, etc. as many awesome people here have done) feels like a huge win. To be so close and then to see the scale go the "wrong" direction is rough. I've been dealing with the same thing for months now, and just recently made it to onederland.

But, like others have said, unless you binged or ate extra salt or whatever, its just a blip that will go away. Stress can also play a part, and it sounds like missing family might be the culprit.

:drinker:
  • gotcardi
    gotcardi Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This same thing just happened to me! I got to 187 and then 188 and then today 189!!!! WTHECK!!!!!!! I know mine is related to TOM and water retention, but it still makes me frustrated as heck. And when *I* get frustrated I turn to food. it's REALLY easy to turn to when all the goodies are hanging around in the teacher work room. *sigh*
    Keep on keeping on... You'll break through. We all do. Be strong, don't beat yourself up. keep on smiling.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    A gallon of water weighs eight pounds! I weigh myself every day, and I do it in the morning to try and get a more accurate number. Sometimes I weigh myself at night just for fun, I can usually expect to see about a three to five pound "gain." Sometimes it is shocking but you have to realize that it is just what you've eaten and drank all day and your body is still digesting.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You do understand that there are natural body weight fluctuations right? Most people can fluctuate 3-5 Lbs day to day given water retention/release, waste, timing of food in/out, hormones, etc. Hell, I drop a deuce and I'll lose more than 1.8 Lbs.

Because of these fluctuations, weight loss isn't linear...you're going to need to think on that long and hard and really wrap your brain around it, otherwise you're going to be in for a very long and ****ty ride. I'd also suggest doing some research into the science of all of this...it will help you actually understand what is going on...that way you won't have to throw a fit every time this happens (and it will happen a lot). And god help you if you don't understand this stuff when you get to maintenance...if you don't understand natural weight fluctuations in maintenance you're in for real mind ****...

All of this.
  • rainwalkerSK
    Options
    I don't have it saved on this computer or I'd share my weight loss graph with you. I graphed my scale weight every single day for 8 months (I am just the teeniest bit OCD). It was a crazy, zig-zaggy line, and day to day, it was hard to see progress. Totally not uncommon to have my weight jump up as much as 3 pounds from day to day. But the overall trend was downward.

Some people will tell you to pitch the scale. That's good advice for some people, but I couldn't do it. So I went the opposite direction, weighed myself every day, got in tune with the daily fluctuations. I got to the point where I could predict exactly when my (very unpredictable) period would start based on my weight. The other advantage of weighing in more frequently is that you get used to the fluctuations. You get to the point where you can shrug off the gains. If you weigh 202 on Monday and 204 on Tuesday, you know for certain that's water retention, or bowel retention or whatever. (Unless of course, you actually did eat 7000 calories + TDEE in a day). Weekly weigh-ins are brutal. When you are eating with a goal to lose a certain amount per week, it's hard not to see a gain as a failure, even though there are several reasons that the scale can jump up even while your body composition is improving. Anyway. Hope you're feeling better.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    my advice would be to not just read your weight on the scales as the only indicator of progress. Do you measure yourself? I understand that feeling of heartbreak when the scale doesn't read what you expected/hoped for. Sometimes your weight can go up and down based on many silly little things. Please don't sweat it, and please don't be hard on your BF, although him consoling you wasn't helping how you felt at the time, what else do you expect him to do? Laugh in your face!?
    If you are doing the right things consistently, then you are always heading in the right direction.
  • musycnlyrics
    musycnlyrics Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It sucks.
    Truly.

I spent about 8 weeks fluctuating 5lbs before I lost my mind and gained 15lbs
    I think I went into full f**k it mode for a few months

But that's neither here nor there...
    Since August I have been fluctuating 5 lbs, going up, going down, left and right...it has SUCKED!
    Today I got on the scale and I FINALLY broke out of the 292-297 range and it only took me 10 weeks! :laugh:

My husband was in the shower and I was weighing in the bathroom with him and I started whooping and dancing naked around the bathroom and he asked me what was I so happy about and I said "2lbs B**CHES!!" :embarassed:

He gave me a wet high five and I finished getting ready lol

This weight loss thing is long hard and it sometimes feels unfair. I have gone from 307 to 266 to 295 to 272 to 297 to now 290

The key is dedication, consistency, a thick skin and determination. I am going to show that scale who's boss and not let it dictate my feelings any longer
    BIG HUGS and keep going!
    Youre doing GREAT!
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    Screen-shot-2011-10-04-at-7.55.30-PM.png

It isn't linear...get that through your head...

I needed to see this today. Love it!
  • MandyyyB
    Options
    I really did not expect to get this many responses from so many nice people.

There is no way for me to go through and tell each and every one of you just how much your words improved my day or how much it meant to me for you to take the time to make an overemotional stranger feel better.

I even received numerous inbox messages from some of you.

And I am definitely smiling more than I was at 7:30 this morning. <3

Thank you just isn't enough, but I don't know what else to say. lol

Y'all are so awesome!

Love,

Mandy.
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Im bumping this thread so I can come back and read these great responses when I am feeling like u feel op. I have felt like this many times. You are not alone with this by any means :) Love the responses.. Thanks for posting your feelings!
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Screen-shot-2011-10-04-at-7.55.30-PM.png

It isn't linear...get that through your head...

Love this picture - couldn't be more true!