Questoin about MFP

Options
I'm sure this has been asked before, but how come when I log in my weight lifting into MFP it doesn't take away any calories? I'm definitely burning calories when I lift.

Replies

• Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Because MFP only adds calories to your day for cardiovascular exercises. You need to log it as strength training under cardiovascular.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    good to know. thanks. didn't have any clue that's what i had to do for the weight exercises.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult to estimate calories burnt through resistance training, everyone routines is differant ie number of sets/reps rest between sets, If you want to add the calories for your lifting have a look at strength training on cardio and enter it that way, but be wary don't trust the numbers 100%
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Too many variables to be able to compute.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight training actually burns very little so there isn't much to log. It feels like it's a huge amount of exertion but it really doesn't raise your heart rate into an aerobic zone for those big calorie burns. It's the reason heart rate monitors aren't accurate for lifting.
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I don't even try to log lifting sessions (I generally do pyramids which makes recording all the different sets with varying reps and weights far too tedious). I just figure that gaining muscle is one of the best ways to boost metabolism and make me fitter is many different ways.