Being more open with my vegetable consumption is difficult.

Options
I hear all the time the more colorful the veggies you eat, the better. Problem is, I mostly just like green vegetables (leafy greens, string beans, broccoli, green pepper etc)
What the best way to incorporate a colorful meal? ( corn, tomatoes, beets, and mushrooms are a big no)

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    roast 'em all.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them if you don't like them. I hate all of your hated veggies, except I'll put tomato in guacamole.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Put them in a tasty stew / curry / vegetable chilli. Then you can flavour them as you please while still getting the goodness.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I hear all the time the more colorful the veggies you eat, the better. Problem is, I mostly just like green vegetables (leafy greens, string beans, broccoli, green pepper etc)
    What the best way to incorporate a colorful meal? ( corn, tomatoes, beets, and mushrooms are a big no)

It's not just vegetables. If you only like green veggies, get the rest of your colors with fruits. Same effect.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lwg5pmGVcS1qzjix8.gif
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever heard of someone not liking corn, but maybe it's just my ears.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The importance of eating veggies is grossly overstated.

They are awful as a fuel source (good for fat people wanting to get thinner in this respect though).

Though they contain a good amount of vitamins/minerals, they certainly aren't the only source. Vitamins/minerals are one of those things you don't get extra credit for, there is no difference between getting enough and getting much more than you need. Getting enough is pretty easy to do without effort, most people do not have nutrient deficiencies, even if they hardly eat any veggies at all (or take multivitamins).

Don't feel bad if you aren't eating piles of veggies every day, they aren't nearly as important as some would have you believe.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

TYC--Ketchup-and-Mustard.jpg
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Bell peppers come in red and yellow too. Do you like cauliflower (most people that like broccoli usually do)? They com in orange and purple too. Eat the rainbow.
  • rml_16
    Options

They are awful as a fuel source (good for fat people wanting to get thinner in this respect though).

Though they contain a good amount of vitamins/minerals, they certainly aren't the only source. Vitamins/minerals are one of those things you don't get extra credit for, there is no difference between getting enough and getting much more than you need. Getting enough is pretty easy to do without effort, most people do not have nutrient deficiencies, even if they hardly eat any veggies at all (or take multivitamins).

Don't feel bad if you aren't eating piles of veggies every day, they aren't nearly as important as some would have you believe.
    Where do you get your vitamins A, C and K?
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Stomach content of hunted animals.
  • rml_16
    Options

Really? And so why did so many pirates get scurvy?
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Eat the ones you like and don't worry about the ones you don't like.

I second the "roast 'em" suggestion.

Some of those you mention can be sauteed a bit and then added to soups or to pasta dishes or whatever.
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mrvssvy2ib1qg51mgo1_400.gif
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    taco salad! you can put almost anything on that and it'll taste great
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Red and orange peppers are just green peppers that have ripened. More beta-carotene, too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I don't think he said they aren't important...I think what he's trying to say is that you don't have to force down a gazillion servings of veggies per day or meet some magic ratio of green:colored varieties per day. many people on MfP act like veggies are all that matter and the be all end all of healthy eating...meanwhile their other macro nutrients are sadly lacking, especially fat.

To the OP...I like mine roasted personally...but I love veggies...especially the ones that you have on your "NO" list.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Scurvy dog pirates hunted moose and deer on the ocean?

ETA: This is a real thing practiced by some first nations people (at least in the Yukon)
    When my buddy gets a moose, the call goes out to grandma to come get the stomach and make a traditional stew type meal from the contents...
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

They got scurvy because they didn't know how to prevent scurvy, as long as we're talking about pre-1800s.
  • rml_16
    Options

No, But they were eating the meat they brought with them and not getting fruits and vegetables. That meat came from hunted animals, I would assume.