GemFB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Daily Calorie Deficit 1,020 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 2.0 lbs/week

Should I be this deficient?
  • pauladavies86
    pauladavies86 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm confused... you've got a deficiet of 1020? like, out of 2000? is it telling you to only eat 980 calories a day??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,068 Member
    Options
    NO! That isn't right. The most you should deficit is 500 cal a day. Refigure your goals and settings.

Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    NO!!! This is RIGHT!

you need a deficit of 7000 calories a week, or about 1000 a day to lose 2lbs per week, which is the most it is healthy to lose in 7 days!

You're BMR or basic metabolic rate (how many calories your body would burn if you slept in bed all day, just to keep you alive) + the amount of calories you burn off during the day in exercise should be about 1000 calories higher than your caloric intake (food), every day if you want to lose 2 lbs per week.

2 lbs per week IS considered healthy, according to the American Journal of Nutrition, a peer-reviewed journal publishing double blind clinical studies on nutrition, including weight loss.

If you intake as many calories as you burn you will not gain or lose weight. And if you are not exercising while you do that a lot of it will just turn to fat, as long-term energy storage.

So, if say your BMR is 1700 and you burn off 600 in calories that day, thats 2300 calories expelled, so you should only eat 1300 calories that day, to create a 1000 calorie deficit. That's what it does for you when you put in your weight and height and goals. If you'll notice, as you add exercise for that day you are given more calories that you are allowed to eat. That's why!

I know it seems like you can only have a ridiculously small # of calories at first, but you get used to judging food and picking foodds that are healthier and lower in calories! It really does get easier to eat that amount.

HTH! :smile:
  • GemFB
    GemFB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    NO!!! This is RIGHT!

you need a deficit of 7000 calories a week, or about 1000 a day to lose 2lbs per week, which is the most it is healthy to lose in 7 days!

You're BMR or basic metabolic rate (how many calories your body would burn if you slept in bed all day, just to keep you alive) + the amount of calories you burn off during the day in exercise should be about 1000 calories higher than your caloric intake (food), every day if you want to lose 2 lbs per week.

2 lbs per week IS considered healthy, according to the American Journal of Nutrition, a peer-reviewed journal publishing double blind clinical studies on nutrition, including weight loss.

If you intake as many calories as you burn you will not gain or lose weight. And if you are not exercising while you do that a lot of it will just turn to fat, as long-term energy storage.

So, if say your BMR is 1700 and you burn off 600 in calories that day, thats 2300 calories expelled, so you should only eat 1300 calories that day, to create a 1000 calorie deficit. That's what it does for you when you put in your weight and height and goals. If you'll notice, as you add exercise for that day you are given more calories that you are allowed to eat. That's why!

I know it seems like you can only have a ridiculously small # of calories at first, but you get used to judging food and picking foodds that are healthier and lower in calories! It really does get easier to eat that amount.

HTH! :smile:

2300 is exactly what it has me at.....Hmm....Neat...So today I was given an extra 500 calories...
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Sometimes MFP will calculate a caloric intake that is below your BMR, which is wrong. Never eat fewer calories than your BMR. Please link to the newbies post in cmriverside's reply and read that for details.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sometimes MFP will calculate a caloric intake that is below your BMR, which is wrong. Never eat fewer calories than your BMR. Please link to the newbies post in cmriverside's reply and read that for details.

mmm interesting i just checked my bmr which is 1737 and my calorie one is at 1340 hell im having trouble at times reaching that on let alone my bmr one especialy when my excercise calories get put into the mix
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Just because MFP ALLOWS you to have a 1000 calorie deficit doesn't mean you should. 2 lbs a week is VERY aggressive. Most doctors (including mine), and nutritionists (also including mine) say that 1 lb a week is a healthy amount to try to lose. 1000 calories is usually reserved for people with a BMI over 30. Gem, if your BMI is over 30 then this is ok (maybe). It's all based on your indifidual processes. 1000 calories is an average given out because it's easy to remember, it's not the same for everyone.

It takes a little tweaking for you to find an amount that works for you. PLUS, this is a living number, by that I mean, as you lose weight, the deficit should shrink as well. Someone 20 lbs overweight cannot hope to keep up the same amount of weekly weight loss as someone who is 50 lbs overweight. This is generally based on the amount of adipose fat (body fat) that is available in the body (among other factors), the more you have, the safer a high deficit is for you to keep. Please refer back to cmriverside and the post she gave, it really does explain everything.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    As a side note, Gem, I realize you have many questions, and maybe you are reluctant to trust what has been said on here, that's understandable, none of us are doctors or certified nutritionists. With that said, you would do well to go see a nutritionist. While I am confident they will back up what we have said on here, it might ease your mind a little if you see one. They can definitely clear up your questions. This site can become very confusing for new people as members have different ways they have succeded and sometimes a way that works for some, doesn't work for others, the only way to be sure is to go see a professional that has the credentials and training to give you the answers you are looking for.
    We are all glad to help, but if the situation is in debate or question, then you should see a professional. I'm sure your school has a dietician on staff, or at least a General MD, either should be able to point you in the right direction.