Gaining Lean Muscle Mass

Options
Yesterday I learned my body fat percentage and was told that I need to focus on gaining more lean muscle mass. My body fat percentage is 20% which is pretty good but I still have belly fat and am flabby in my arms. I'm 5'2 and 110 lbs by the way.

I was told to cut back on my cardio and to focus on weights and strength training which I have done this week but the little voice in my head is saying I need to run more because I am normally a long distance runner. I'm scared that cutting back on running and just focusing on lifting will cause me to gain weight and not in the good way.

And on a side note, I also noticed that my stomach is much more bloated after trying this out for a week.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    So, weight has to do with "calories in" v. "calories out". That's it, nothing to do with what kind of exercise you're doing.

If you're going to focus on this kind of thing, it's best to read about it so you know what you're doing. I suggest New Rules of Lifting for Women. EXCELLENT book, all about the basics. the routine is a little convoluted though, but w/e if you like it do it. If not do something else... more suggestions available upon request ;)

Flab is due to your bf%, so just continue to drop it, and gain some muscle mass, and you'll be fine. You do need to eat at a surplus to gain any appreciable level of lean mass though, and with that will come some fat. More of your "flab" lol

Also, I can clearly see in your photos that there is no true "flab". Cut it out. It's like hearing a man complain about hair on his arms or something, it's really annoying, because it's ridiculous.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I learned my body fat percentage and was told that I need to focus on gaining more lean muscle mass. My body fat percentage is 20% which is pretty good but I still have belly fat and am flabby in my arms. I'm 5'2 and 110 lbs by the way.

I was told to cut back on my cardio and to focus on weights and strength training which I have done this week but the little voice in my head is saying I need to run more because I am normally a long distance runner. I'm scared that cutting back on running and just focusing on lifting will cause me to gain weight and not in the good way.

And on a side note, I also noticed that my stomach is much more bloated after trying this out for a week.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated :)
    Here's a client of mine who used to just run only for 7 miles a day:
    a0ecfc5c-b48d-4a49-a9b3-844a6ec2fbc6_zps0c9ce435.jpg

Had her reduce it to 2 miles a day and lift heavy with volume sets:
    e9403b7c-5a9b-402d-8ebc-e53614afbe89_zps39245183.jpg
    Dorlyn2_zpsdfe17aae.jpg

Don't worry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Nice comparison man. Oh, and this woman is not bulky, she just added some lean mass and lowered her BF%. Don't freak out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why can't you run and strength train?
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Had her reduce it to 2 miles a day and lift heavy with volume sets:

Dorlyn2_zpsdfe17aae.jpg

Don't worry.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

pretty sure I would take this guys advice.

edit: forgot to say, DAYUM!