Note to parents who drop kids off at school

ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,941 Member
SLOW DOWN and PAY ATTENTION!!! This morning an 8 year old was hit by a parent driving too fast and not paying attention in the drop off at the front of the school. Child was sent to Children's hospital in Oakland via medivac. Don't assume kids follow all the crossing rules! Please slow down.
As a volunteer crossing guard, I see way too many people driving to fast during school pick up and drop off. The extra 5 minutes it takes to be safer ISN'T going to change how your day turns out, but could if an accident happens.
Keep our children safe.

rant over

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• hear! hear!
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    People are such morons. I see these stupid drivers all the time. Like everyone is in such a hurry these days. Either that or they are just plain texting and not actually concentrating on their driving. I think that people that text and drive should lose their drivers licenses.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    I'm an elementary school teacher and some mornings I have "parent drop off" duty, where I have to stand in the crosswalk and help the kids who walk to school cross, as well as police the drop off area to make sure that cars aren't cutting the line and zooming up while kids are in the road. It baffles me how many people drive SO fast around the school to drop kids off, and cut around a whole line of cars to get out. Crazy.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Poor kid!

And no road rage in the elementary parking lot. Seriously people. I wish they could ban parents from entering. "You sir just lost your lot privileges. Park on the road and walk your kid in."
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    At first I thought this said "Note to parents who drop kids off at the pool"
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    My daughters school a mother got hit by someone weaving through cars in line trying to get away faster! They now set up cones so you have to wait in line. Personally I park and walk my daughter up to the door, it scares the bejesus out of me to allow her out and walk in between cars!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Amen to this, Hope the kid will be ok.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Sounds like that kid's parents didn't do their job.
    SLOW DOWN and PAY ATTENTION!!! This morning an 8 year old was hit by a parent driving too fast and not paying attention in the drop off at the front of the school. Child was sent to Children's hospital in Oakland via medivac. Don't assume kids follow all the crossing rules! Please slow down.
    As a volunteer crossing guard, I see way too many people driving to fast during school pick up and drop off. The extra 5 minutes it takes to be safer ISN'T going to change how your day turns out, but could if an accident happens.
    Keep our children safe.

rant over

IDEA Fitness member
  • At first I thought this said "Note to parents who drop kids off at the pool"

Hankey_flush.gif
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Not too long ago there was a story on the news about a parent who was in such a hurry, she drove up on the freaking sidewalk! Part of her punishment was to stand in front of the school holding a sign that told how big of an idiot she was. I hope the kid's gonna be ok. :(
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Sadly, this actually happened when I was in 2nd grade.

A parent was dropping her kids off at school and hit a little boy and killed him. Both the daughter of the driver and the sister of the victim were in my class. It was truly difficult and awkward. It was completely an accident though, and both families were able to work through it. The two girls recuperated from the incident and no one felt any animosity. But it was devastating to both, and the whole class was affected by it.

So so sad.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    good point OP. So the best point seems to be park your car somewhere relatively safe and walk them to the door. God forbid these parents have to get out of their cars and walk!!
  • ninerbuff
    I'm an elementary school teacher and some mornings I have "parent drop off" duty, where I have to stand in the crosswalk and help the kids who walk to school cross, as well as police the drop off area to make sure that cars aren't cutting the line and zooming up while kids are in the road. It baffles me how many people drive SO fast around the school to drop kids off, and cut around a whole line of cars to get out. Crazy.
    In my area (back of the school near our playground), there's a drop off for handicap, special needs, buses and after school program. The city and school limited it to only these parents to have access at this particular drop off, yet there are parents who rant and rave that they can't do it. I'm adamant that they obey and if they don't all I have to do is report their license number and they get a visit by the city police. Since the beginning of the year I've had only 3 incidences. Those parents haven't bothered to try to talk their way through again.:smile:
    If they would just read the handbook before school started, it would have never been an issue. None of the 3 bothered to read it when I asked them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    This is exactly why I'm glad that when I dropped my sister off, they had a buttload of speedbumps before you were allowed into the drop-off zone. And the drop off zone, only ONE car would fit, VERY tightly. (Space was about the size of an average minivan with a very small bit of room left). Then it had 2 speed bumps (the huge annoying ones), then a big neon sign, then another two additional speed bumps so that people went through slowly. A teacher always had to stand in front of the car. I loved this system.

Poor child getting hit.. :|
  • SamMorBelsmom
    SamMorBelsmom Posts: 164 Member
    As an ex bus driver (now a stay at home mom and plan on driving again when all my kids are in full time school), just for your very special information for some very special people...

THE FLASHING RED LIGHTS AND STOP SIGNS ON THE BIG YELLOW BUS MEAN STOP, EVEN IF ITS IN A PARKING LOT, ON A ROOF LOT, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESSERT, WITH NO KIDS ON...STOP! YOU ARE STILL LIABLE FOR A TICKET AND WILL GET ONE WITH ALL THE DAMNED CAMERAS ON THE BUS.

That is all. Thanks you for making more people away.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I live down the street from a school and it's a one way system down the whole road but still people drive so crazy! I've had a couple of run ins with parents, on foot or in the car. They just aren't aware!

& 2 boys in my year at school got run down there when we attended there about 15 years ago. The traffic has worsened since then. :(
  • ninerbuff
    My daughters school a mother got hit by someone weaving through cars in line trying to get away faster! They now set up cones so you have to wait in line. Personally I park and walk my daughter up to the door, it scares the bejesus out of me to allow her out and walk in between cars!
    I direct people to the street to park. If they can't, then I'll direct them to the student valet (4th and 5th graders help get kids out of cars and walk them to the entrance) at the front of the school. Many parents now just park on the street and walk their kids too, although some parents don't use the crosswalks.

IDEA Fitness member
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,035 Member
    Hear Hear!
  • MzLaLa29
    MzLaLa29 Posts: 258 Member
    Poor kid!

And no road rage in the elementary parking lot. Seriously people. I wish they could ban parents from entering. "You sir just lost your lot privileges. Park on the road and walk your kid in."

OMG I wish this were a possibility. I drive past a school to drop my kid off at daycare. The parents decided to turn a through street into a four way stop b/c the line gets backed up going in and out of the driveway. Not my problem. However, someone almost t-boned me on their "turn" when I clearly had the right of way. HS age kids can walk from the sidewalk and enter through the side of the building...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    As an ex bus driver (now a stay at home mom and plan on driving again when all my kids are in full time school), just for your very special information for some very special people...

THE FLASHING RED LIGHTS AND STOP SIGNS ON THE BIG YELLOW BUS MEAN STOP, EVEN IF ITS IN A PARKING LOT, ON A ROOF LOT, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESSERT, WITH NO KIDS ON...STOP! YOU ARE STILL LIABLE FOR A TICKET AND WILL GET ONE WITH ALL THE DAMNED CAMERAS ON THE BUS.

peopel are dumb they always forget about this one ive seen so many people run the stop signs luckily no children were ever hurt
  • ninerbuff

THIS. I can't believe how many people don't know this. Kids RUN. Don't assume that one won't sneak and run into your bumper.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Liss_Bee
    Liss_Bee Posts: 187 Member
    I direct people to the street to park. If they can't, then I'll direct them to the student valet (4th and 5th graders help get kids out of cars and walk them to the entrance) at the front of the school. Many parents now just park on the street and walk their kids too, although some parents don't use the crosswalks.

IDEA Fitness member

I'm a crosswalk stickler! Probably too overprotective but my kids are way too important to cut corners. Seatbelts are a MUST and of course I had my son in a car seat way past normal for his age/height/weight and doing the same with my daughter. LOL! Other moms laugh at me, but why would I risk anything? Here school goes K-2nd, 3rd - 5th, 6th - 8th and last High school. My son rides the bus and has since 3rd, as will my daughter, but even that scares me. I've seen how the bus drivers drive sometimes. =S
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    At first I thought this said "Note to parents who drop kids off at the pool"
    I read it as "note to parents whose kids drop out of school"
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468

IDEA Fitness member

I'm a crosswalk stickler! Probably too overprotective but my kids are way too important to cut corners. Seatbelts are a MUST and of course I had my son in a car seat way past normal for his age/height/weight and doing the same with my daughter. LOL! Other moms laugh at me, but why would I risk anything? Here school goes K-2nd, 3rd - 5th, 6th - 8th and last High school. My son rides the bus and has since 3rd, as will my daughter, but even that scares me. I've seen how the bus drivers drive sometimes. =S

The police sit out in front of the elementary schools and issue citations for jaywalking for parents who don't use the crosswalks.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    That poor kid--and that kid's poor parents! Hoping everyone is okay!

[/quote]

"THIS. I can't believe how many people don't know this. Kids RUN. Don't assume that one won't sneak and run into your bumper."

[/quote]

BTW, this happens too much! I used to be a teacher and saw issues with drop-off and pick-up all too often.

Even when I was in grade school, I remember the problems. My mom was PARKED one time and had just walked my sister and I to the car. Before she even put the car in drive, a kid ran across the street and the KID hit our car! My mom wasn't moving at all! The other parent was irate and claimed my mom hit her son. Luckily other people saw what happened and the other mom backed down quickly. Parents need to be more observant of their surroundings--especially when their children are involved!
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    My youngest daughter (who is 4) and I were walking home from taking her sister to school one rainy morning. We have to cross a busy street that has an adult crossing guard, signs posted and a flashing light warning of a slow down. The crossing guard went to the middle of the road with her stop sign and we started to cross. I know people run through this sometimes or stop really quickly so I was very aware of a car coming from the right 2 blocks down, it didn't start slowing down and sure enough went through the crosswalk a mere foot from where my daughter and I and the crossing guard were standing. I put my hands in the air and she only just realized what she did at that moment when she drove right next to me. She drove to the end of the block and turned around to pull in a neighbors drive way. She was shaking and crying and apologizing. She just dropped her children off at school and wasn't paying attention, too busy thinking about what else she had to do and talking to her preschool aged son in the back seat. It took 10 minutes to calm her down, while gently chastising her for not paying attention. A few days later we were at a field trip for preschool and I saw her again. Her son is in the other preschool class! She couldn't look at me. I know her license number was turned in to the police for running the crosswalk, no idea what consequence she has for it.

Pay attention people, there are literally other peoples lives at stake. We were lucky this time.

OP I hope the little one who was hit ends up being alright.
  • QuincyChick
    QuincyChick Posts: 269 Member
    In my area (back of the school near our playground), there's a drop off for handicap, special needs, buses and after school program. The city and school limited it to only these parents to have access at this particular drop off, yet there are parents who rant and rave that they can't do it. I'm adamant that they obey and if they don't all I have to do is report their license number and they get a visit by the city police. Since the beginning of the year I've had only 3 incidences. Those parents haven't bothered to try to talk their way through again.:smile:
    If they would just read the handbook before school started, it would have never been an issue. None of the 3 bothered to read it when I asked them.

IDEA Fitness member

Oh, naturally. Honestly- not only does my school provide printed copies of the rules/handbooks, at least 3 emails go out at the beginning of the year outlining the procedure. Insane. Also, yes- we have parents that will cut unto the special needs van/bus area to drop kids off to "avoid the line."
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    This pisses me off to no end, people driving so fast as if the world would come to an end if they did not. Apart from schools, i see it regularly in my office parking space. I just feel like stopping the car, pulling the person out by their hair and just slap them hard. It makes me mad how people do not value others life!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    My daughters school has probably the best system I have seen so far.
    To get to the school, the road zig zags and then opens up to three lanes (to get cars off the main highway).
    From there, a teacher assists all three lanes to merge into a single lane.
    Kid drop off is along the school side of the sidewalk. it is about 250 yards of nothing but drop off.
    Once the little kid is out of the car, the parent can simply drive forward and out of the school.
    Ther eare lots of police and, here is the biggie.
    if you are caught texting and driving, you are not only going to get a ticket but, you will be changed with child endangerment.
  • ninerbuff
    Luckily enough I have authority to tell parents who can't abide, that they can't come to drop off their kids in my area. My police dept will support decisions made and enforce them too. People just need to understand that SAFETY should be the number on factor when on school property and worry about their other chores and issues they have to deal with later. Full focus should be on awareness during school pick up and drop off.

IDEA Fitness member