finding it difficult to cut down on sugar

Options
hello!! i'm really struggling to cut down on sugar. everything else in my diet is going really well but when I look at my sugar intake on my MFP charts i'm still taking in too much!!!!

Replies

• skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    forget sugar don't track it
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Are you eating refined sugars or healthy sugars. As long as my sugars are coming from fruit, I don't worry about it. I just watch my Carb # and try to keep that in check. If I start to struggle it is normally because I am not getting enough protein and that makes me crave carbs.

I am cutting out refined sugars from my diet and eating fruit is the only way I can get through the cravings.

Keep at it.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    So far, I only eat plain yogurt and cottage cheese, without any added sugar. I got used to coffe without sugar added to it. But you have to be OK with the taste.

I also try to make dinner without sugar - like all those bottled sauces for chicken? BAD!
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of fruit, salad and veg and weight watchers and light choice foods. I also eat brown bread and am trying to cut down on my carbs but am struggling with it
  • Buffalo1994
    Options
    Its hard for me too because I gained most of my weight from eating sweets, I am a chocoholic lol. The first day of my "diet" I tried to go cold turkey and got a major migraine. I have found that sugar is something you need to wean yourself off of. I went from eating half a pan of brownies to a tbsp of chocolate chips (70 cals) twice a day. Now I allow myself one butterfinger or other chocolate candy bar a day that is bite size (around 45 cals) or have a low cal cup of hot chocolate. One thing I have found is that if I am craving something I need to eat it. Like if I want a brownie and i try to eat a sweet strwaberry I will still not be satisfied, and then binge on strwaberries and still have chocolate. Allow yourself to have a real brownie, but instead of a whole one just have half.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Ignore the sugar. MFP lumps all sugars together so it's way too easy to go over the settings just by eating a piece of fruit.
  • DeeGreen1978
    DeeGreen1978 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I only have a treat at the weekend and eat really healthy, which is hard as I used to be addicted to sweets too when I became depressed. I think i'm getting the hang of this thing, all my things like carbs and that are coming in under goal as is my calorie intake, its just my sugars which I am going to ignore. thank you all for your comments.xxx
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Why are you cutting down on sugar? Are you diabetic? Because otherwise just ignore that. I eat tons of sugar, my stats are awesome and I consistently lose .5 to 1 lb every week. Just saying.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    yea i was frustrated too in the beginning because i could never stay under MFP's sugar goal. i replaced the setting on mine with fiber instead. its a better indicator of health.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Stop tracking it.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Track something else like fiber or any other micronutrient you feel you need to watch.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

I replaced the sugar label tracking with fiber.

problem solved
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    forget sugar don't track it

Yup. Doesn't matter.
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I think tracking sugar is necessary. Most people in the U.S. are addicted to the sugar and don't realize it because food companies put it in everything. Sugar causes foggy brain, swelling, aches, and cutting it out clears your skin. I limit my fruit to one serving every day. I shop at healthy supermarkets and buy sauces/foods with no sugar. I eat lots of protein and green veggies. Good luck on your journey!
  • GemW27
    GemW27 Posts: 41
    Options
    I'm struggling with this too. Finally manged to give up cereal which helped a lot...but now I'm eating fruit and yogurt for breakfast and it's even worse! (In terms of sugar)
    A 150g portion of Yeo Valley 0% fat vanilla has 23g of sugar. I'm way over the limit at the first meal!
    I know Greek yogurt is better but I can't stand it...unless I add about a teaspoon of vanilla extract - would that be better?
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Tracking sugar is pointless unless you have a medical reason to do so. A real medical reason, diagnosed by a docter.
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sugar limit is absurd. I eat PLAIN Greek yogurt with a banana and I'm over already. By a lot too!

Unless you have a dietary/health condition that requires you to monitor sugar, pay it no mind! Try to really limit PROCESSED sugar if anything.. but sugar from fruits, pay no mind.
  • meganbusby0310
    Options
    All of this is very confusing. It's calories in/burned, and that's it, right? Staying under calories consumed is where weight loss happens.