Pcos diagnosis

Options
I was just diagnosed with pcos and looking for others who have it to friend, learn from, and lose weight with :)

Replies

• kyrabeth1986
    kyrabeth1986 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, I only found out recently for sure but have known in the back of my mind for the last 10 years (irregular periods, facial hair and weight around the middle) although now we want a family its become more of a pain. I'm currently trying to keep my gluten and sugar levels down, I find that an increase of those make my symptoms worse, as does alcohol.

There is loads of information around on diets etc to ease symptoms :)
  • sbb7249
    sbb7249 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and would love to connect with others. Exercising on a regular basis has helped control some of my PCOS symptoms.
  • DasGoff
    Options
    I also have PCOS was diagnosed last year after years of fighting doctors telling them my irregular periods weren't just dodgey teenage hormones. Feel free to add me, it will be nice to have more people who understand the difficulties you face with weight loss with PCOS.
  • ntatbeeq
    ntatbeeq Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    i came to know abt my PCOS this oct and after doing lots of research , have found that low carbs intake really help me alot to loose weight....though i am not overweight (29yrs old with 139lbs with a height of 5'6'') but still my doc wants me to lose 10-12lbs :)
    fee free to add me up if u want.
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    Okay, I've added you ladies.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I found out I HAD PCOS and Insulin Resistance in April of 2012. I'm currently PCOS and Insulin Resistance Free due to the Insulin Resistance Diet and tons of exercise.

PCOS is not a death sentences, and if you're not eating low carb start RIGHT NOW!

I'd love to have you (or anyone) as a friend. Open diary for friends!
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    My wife has had it for the longest time. Caused us to not be able to have kids for the first 8 years of marriage. There is a support group she got involved with and found a group of friends.....since she joined the group, she really perked up. They are still to this day. This last august (month after our 12th anniversary) we took a trip to Chicago....just so she could meet them all face to face. To see how happy she was to meet her friends for the first time....made the journey with it.

Be strong...find your core!

Crusher
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    PCOS here... need to drop about 40lbs, managing with a low carb diet currently. Fairly new diagnosis, so any new friends help :)
  • ZUMBAMomma84
    Options
    I love carbs and have tried to switch to whole wheat and eat them less than I have been. I did loooow carb once before and had great success with weight loss but was miserable because I wanted pasta, potatoes, and bread allll the time.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS about 15 years ago. I was wondering what others consider "low carb". I have my MFP set to 50% carbs, but wonder if that's too many?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS about 15 years ago. I was wondering what others consider "low carb". I have my MFP set to 50% carbs, but wonder if that's too many?

Mine is set to 40%, but I have celiac disease so eating more than 40% of my food from carbs just isn't going to happen unless I'm eating straight sugar at the end of the day to meet my macros. My PCOS has resolved since my celiac diagnosis though so I think eating fewer carbs helps. Any of you PCOS-ers can feel free to add me. I'm 44 with four kids and have been married to my sweet hubby for 21 years.
  • whitlisd
    Options
    My trainer is telling me to eat no more than about 125-150 grams per day if that helps. It's important for us PCOS'ers to get rid of the sugar in our diet.

High sugar means high blood sugar. High blood sugar means more insulin production. More insulin triggers the ovaries to produce MORE testosterone/androgen which is what causes us the PCOS issues in the FIRST PLACE!!!!
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 46 and have had PCOS since my teens, and have never been able to have kids. I didn't start having periods until I was 37. I battle a crazy sugar addiction, hair growth everywhere but on top of my head where I want it. In fact, I fight for every strand of head hair I have... Sometimes that for me is the worst part. I feel so unattractive with the hair issues and I just want to eat to make myself feel better. I had lost a lot of weight on a low carb diet, but regained 50 pounds when I started eating the old way again. So I guess low carb for me is the way to go. I am on day 2 of sugar detox so that I can break the addiction and get back to a healthy low carb diet. Most of my MFP friends have moved on so feel free to add me.
  • GeorgieT23
    Options
    I found out I had PCOS last year January and was pregnant by March! but in those two months I worked hard to lose 2 stone and I believe this REALLY helped towards getting pregnant...

It's NOT the end of the world, honest!

I now have a beautiful 10 month old and have just started the Atkins diet, (low carb, low sugar) It is working for me so far and I am really enjoying it so fingers crossed I can lose the amount I want to!!!

Feel free to add me!
  • DaniNicole321
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years back. I finally buckled down and starting working out about this time last year and lost a little weight and low and behold I got pregnant(not exactly on purpose) so I gained everything I lost back and then some. I am back trying to eat low carb and working out regularly. I'd love to help support you so feel free to add me. :)
  • Melitodaffodil
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos about 6 months ago,I'm on a progesterone cream
    To try to get my levels up as they are extremely low,so far no luck but told it takes time
    To raise the levels,so fingers crossed.looking for support of people who are also
    Going thru this as everyone I know doesn't seem to understand what I'm talking about
    So feel free to add me,kate
  • Diefeinbaker
    Diefeinbaker Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with pcos a couple of months ago after seeing a consultant regarding infertility. Since then I've been on low carb diet and have lost 19lb.
  • faith2337
    Options
    I have pcos as well and still looking for friends who can help encourage me as I encourage them as well. Feel free to add me!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    pcos'er here. Finally able to become pregnant after weight loss.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Hi all! I have PCOS also. I am currently pregnant thanks to a low carb diet. For me that means that 5% of my calories come from carbs.

From what I understand, eating fewer than 150 g of carbs per day regardless of percentage is considered low carb. I see a lot of people who do not consider themselves low carb on this site set their macros to 40% carbs/30% Protein/30% fat so I would not consider 50% low carb in any way.

All that being said there are tons of groups on this site that have a ton of PCOS info and a great support system!