inconsistent BMR, MYFITNESSPAL contradictory BMR

Options
2»

Replies

• steelx3
    Options
    my question was aimed at MFP. program itself, and thats kind of it. i understand more than what most would expect and have done more than my share of research on the subject of nutrition and macro nutrients and caloric intake.

problem is maybe some sees my post count and assumes i know nothing because i appear to be new.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    when i started i was 276 lbs and my BMR was 2540

that would be your TDEE, of which BMR is only a part (a large part, but not the whole picture).

MFP only recalculates your calorie goals when you do a Goals calculation, it doesn't edge it down in real time with weight loss. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Hello,

been using the myfitnesspal app for a few months now. today i noticed an inconsistency in the Goals area. when it comes to BMR. my goals say i need to drop 1k in calories a day. from 2540 to 1540. no problem there,thats what ive been doing. then i go to the bmr calculator on myfitnesspal and it tells me that my BMR is 1954. so im confused. I googled several more BMR calc, and received a broad range of results as well, anywhere from 1800 cals a day upto 2900+ cals a day (these are not diet goals).

That number in the goals area is not your BMR. It's your TDEE less intentional exercise -- that is, it includes energy burned on the job and around the house, but not at the gym, etc. Of course, that all depends on your having understood what MFP was asking you about your activity level when you set up your profile; the MFP calculator is limited by the information you supply. Your BMR is the energy you need to lie in bed all day, and it might be roughly 15% to 30% less than that number you see in your goals, if you're sedentary or lightly active (outside of intentional exercise).

ETA: so based on the numbers you give (2540 for calories burned from your goal page and 1954 from the BMR calculation), it sounds like you've told MFP you're lightly active, right?