Why do I do this to myself everytime

Options
I always go on fad diets, I know their fad but I get so caught up in their promises. I tried Atkins, Nutrisystem, WW, Slim Fast you name it I have tried it. I am trying to find a healthy balance, I know if I have too many carbs I will gain weight but I am sick of carb free diets. I want to eat real food and not have to follow a list, but how do I do that without eating too many carbs and still lose weight? Do I only eat carbs in the morning and avoid them at night?
Does anyone else have that problem where they cant just eat healthy, normal foods they have to follow some unrealistic plan. I need help learning not to feel guilty eating normal, healthy foods.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Calorie surplus=weight gain
    Calorie deficit=weight loss

Meal timing is personal preference.

Read this link and all of the links in it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=1#posts-16625920
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. You need to count calories. Period. Stay within the macronutrients you aim for (I try to do 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat) and count calories. It's really that simple.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat normal foods, mostly healthy, but not always. My diary is open, feel free to have a look. And my progress and info is visible on the right side of my page.

Some of what you'll see there is this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    Best move I made was reading that thread (I think I read it 10 times over before it really sank in! :tongue: ) and then applying it, running my numbers through the tools linked there and following Dan's instructions (Dan's the dude who wrote the thread, nice guy).

I logged my 795th straight day on MFP this morning, and I've been eating according to that info pretty much the whole time, hit goal weight, stopped caring about goal weight, lost fat and continue to focus on lowering my body fat percentage and maintaining my lean muscle.

And it all fits into life - I still eat burgers, pizza, desserts, drink alcohol, etc, and I don't worry about birthdays, holidays dinners out, etc. I know my limits, high and low, and I eat in between those numbers. Even if I go over my TDEE once in awhile it's not a big deal - my clothes still fit, and I'm still making progress. I'm in it for life, and my life includes holidays, vacations, celebrations and all the good foods that go with those events!

Food is fuel! Educate yourself on how much you NEED to eat for your age, height, weight, activity level, etc. And then eat your cals, drink water, exercise, take rest days, and get good sleep! And have patience, it's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen, and progress, especially steady progress, has been my best motivator to make the changes, and have the confidence that I can do this for the rest of my life.

Good luck!
  • rosemary98
    Options
    I happen to not eat a lot of carbs because I don't like processed foods...and I am not a fruit eater. but it really is about saying within calories limits you set for yourself. if half your daily intake is carbs...but you are within limits...you will lose.
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Right or wrong, I don't pay attention to any of the carbs, sodium etc etc... I see people eating Clean or People Eating Dirty !! I am not concerned with any of that right now.. Maybe once I am down to where I want to be.. I need to make this Easy so I will stick to it,,so as long as I stay under my calories i'm fine.. That's what I have been doing since I started and I am losing the weight that I planned to lose every week !!

So So Far,, So Good !!
  • unFATuated
    unFATuated Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I eat normal foods, mostly healthy, but not always. My diary is open, feel free to have a look. And my progress and info is visible on the right side of my page.

Some of what you'll see there is this link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
    Best move I made was reading that thread (I think I read it 10 times over before it really sank in! :tongue: ) and then applying it, running my numbers through the tools linked there and following Dan's instructions (Dan's the dude who wrote the thread, nice guy).

I logged my 795th straight day on MFP this morning, and I've been eating according to that info pretty much the whole time, hit goal weight, stopped caring about goal weight, lost fat and continue to focus on lowering my body fat percentage and maintaining my lean muscle.

And it all fits into life - I still eat burgers, pizza, desserts, drink alcohol, etc, and I don't worry about birthdays, holidays dinners out, etc. I know my limits, high and low, and I eat in between those numbers. Even if I go over my TDEE once in awhile it's not a big deal - my clothes still fit, and I'm still making progress. I'm in it for life, and my life includes holidays, vacations, celebrations and all the good foods that go with those events!

Food is fuel! Educate yourself on how much you NEED to eat for your age, height, weight, activity level, etc. And then eat your cals, drink water, exercise, take rest days, and get good sleep! And have patience, it's not going to happen overnight, but it will happen, and progress, especially steady progress, has been my best motivator to make the changes, and have the confidence that I can do this for the rest of my life.

Good luck!

So much this ^^
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I get enough protein and carbs but I eat a healthy balance of fruit, vegetables, meat, and limited dairy (lactose intolerant, can eat yogurt and lactose free milk only), rice, beans, and just about everything on the planet. I don't eat out a lot, but when I do I like to choose salads (no dressing, no cheese) and drink water. I believe in everything in moderation.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is accurately log everything you eat—and stay below your calorie limit each day. What you eat isn't important, you could eat nothing but Twinkies and still lose weight, if you stay in a calorie deficit. Even exercise is optional, and I certainly don't bother with it. The only thing that will make you lose weight is Basic Arithmetic. Best of luck! :drinker:
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    oh man, that was actually a bit painful to read.

forget the carbs bs. weight gain is a physics equation.

calories are a measurement of energy.

if your body needs 1700 calories of energy to maintain your weight, then eating 1400 calories will make you lose weight. 2100 calories will make you gain weight.

doesn't matter what food your "1700" cals is made up of.

you just need to log your food and stay within your calorie deficit ----> the "1400" used in the example.

you need to learn about nutrition and calorie density in the food you eat.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Your problem isn't carbs', it's consistency! I had a peek at your diary and I noticed that you ant logging most days (well, this week anyway) If you log everything everyday you will see where you are going wrong.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

Perhaps don't worry about what type of food you're taking in for now... Eat what you want and focus on logging the calories in whatever it is you eat. Once you've got that nailed down and you're losing steadily you can look at nutrition.

You can do this! Good luck :smile:
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    The only main reason one should consider restricting carb intake is so you can hit the minimum requirements for your fats/protein macros as outlined in this neat little link...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • diwijo13
    diwijo13 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know if I have too many carbs I will gain weight

I know the feeling. Sometimes it's just not as simple as a calorie deficit for some people. I have PCOS and I have to watch my carbs very closely. Even if I'm in a calorie deficit, if I have too many carbs I won't lose a thing. I lost 20 lbs in the first 2 months (April and May) and have only lost and gained the same 6 lbs since June. I was very good about logging even during the summer months, but then I got discouraged when the weight wasn't coming off so I stopped logging. I still exercise (use an HRM) and weigh food but keep a mental log (of course not the best way). So I know how you feel. I'm going to keep going because I won't go back. I've come to the conclusion that although I'm not losing like I want, that exercise and not overeating on a daily basis gives me so much energy so it's worth it in the end. Don't give up!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    It's mostly about information/education.....the less a person has of that the more influenced they can be and most people believe there must be a magic bullet or the diet industry wouldn't exist, would it? If a person can avoid the sheep mentality and do some due diligence the chances that the evil that lurks everywhere will diminish.:smile: