Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

New and looking for pointers on how to be successful

2»

Replies

• Drdisney
    Drdisney Posts: 90 Member
    When I started my journey I decided to turn my whole process on it's head and start for the completely opposite direction. Instead of starting a diet and some day exercising. I decided to give exercise a good honest try. I didn't worry about what I ate at all. Baby steps. I needed to learn how to exercise. No mamby pamby walking around the block. Real exercise. I research and got help. After 2 months of gradually increasing exercise I started to want to eat more healthy naturally. Dieting never made me want to exercise. I agree. Keep it simple. Just exercise.

^^^ this is exactly what I did!! I committed to an exercise routine (that was hard enough!) and when that became a habit (and it is - I got up at 5 so I could run this morning before the kids got up!) I started modifying my diet, a little at a time. I cut out sugar first since that was my downfall. Then breads, my other weak spot!

This is so me. I Joined a gym and started exercising in July, 2 months later I was in the gym for about 2 hours a day 5 days a week. I felt so much better, more energetic, etc. Having started to see the benefits of healthy living, I eventually joined MFP, and started looking at my diet. Enlightening experience, wow was I amazed at how badly I was eating. Way to many carbs and calories. I have slowly been working on this. This really is empowering, I can decide what I want to eat, how much to exercise, and I can see the consequences of my decisions.

Other things I have learned:

Be realistic, It took me 52 years to get to where I am, I cant expect this to change in a few weeks or months. I am not perfectly happy with a 1 lb per week loss, as this seems to be a healthy and sustainable weight loss rate for me. This also is not too high of a goal, I know I can do this. Granted I am 6-1 and male so my target is 2060 calories per day. I really don't know how anyone can eat less than 1200 calories a day for an extended period. I applaud anyone who can, I just know I can't.

Be consistent, I have heard that if you do the same thing for 90 days it becomes a habit. On some days I would have to make myself go to the gym, not it is just what I do 5-6 days a week. And on most days I look forward to it.

Its progress, not perfection. I am looking at this as a lifelong approach. I realize I wont always do what I should, but I try to make more good choices than bad. And the longer I do this the more good choices I seem to make.

The support on here is great, so make some MFP friends, they will definitely help keep you accountable. Open invite for any of you to friend me.

I wish all of you the best of luck with reaching your goals.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member

Follow PROVEN success and let the information guide you. READ this and learn through trial and error, find what works for you.

Good luck!

READ THIS

:bigsmile: