How Io did it

Options
2»

Replies

• carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    AMEN! I came to similar conclusions during my journey. Got side-tracked for a couple of years, but have less than 20 lbs to go (out of 60+ lbs). Don't lick the plate clean, don't make excuses to not exercise, don't quit, don't say "I can't", don't beat yourself up, do one more (that's my workout mantra btw). I'm peri-menopausal and 9-ish years into this. Hubby says I look great. Aunt asks, "What are you doing? And don't tell me diet and exercise." LOL!!!
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Many people ask me how I lost weight. It was a combination of things, but when it came down to it, it was calories in, and calories out. Studies show that the part of the brain for someone else is activated when we think of our future self. You have to start loving your future self. Below is what worked for me. :

1. Exercise one hour a day, 5 days a week. Many people do not want to do this, but would you rather be fat? Just do it. I would pack my gym bag for a whole week and throw it in my car. Then I do not have an excuse for not working out.

2. Join a gym that is fun and encouraging. If the instructor does not know your name by the third time you go, try a different class. There are people in my classes that are morbidly obese. Everyone is so impressed that they are trying. They will notice your progress and make you feel good about yourself.

3. Weigh yourself everyday. I know many say not to, but it keeps you living in reality.

4. Stop making excuses for yourself. You are too good for that.

5. Develop a mantra to use when working out. Mine is, "I don't quit when I am tired, I quit when I am done." I say it over and over when it gets hard.

6. Work up a dripping sweat. It won't kill you.

7. Eat a big breakfast. I find the more I eat in the morning the less hungry I am at night.

8. Have some secret weapons. Mine is almonds in the morning. They balance my blood sugar and keep me from getting hungry later in the day. Also, sucking on chew-able vitamin C every 20 minutes until my sugar cravings go away. Then there is chocolate Almond Milk. I heat it up and add marshmallows every night. It is only 200 calories.

9.. Go hungry if you have too. Many people all over the world are more hungry than you. Suck it up.

10. Calories are like money. When your out your done.

11. Get rid of old clothes as soon as they don't fit and buy new ones that fit, even if they are from a resale shop or good will.

!2. Avoid trigger foods. My triggers are chewy candy, chocolate, and good brownies. I just can not have them because I can not stop.

13. Give up fast food. Just say, "I don't eat that" instead of, "I can't have that"

14. Make yourself a deal- you can eat whatever you want, you just have to log everything. It forces you to live in reality.

15. When you are tempted, say, "I would rather be a size 8 ( or what ever you want to be) than eat that."

!6. Believe you can change, just like that.

17. I have a 2/3s rule. Never eat more that 2/3s of what you have on your plate, especially if it is not within your diet. Worried about wasting good food? Again, would you rather be fat than throw away some extra food?

18. Never give up. It took me ten years to figure out what would work.

19. Don't be afraid to eat back your exercise calories.

20. Know your BMI and set a goal based on that. Mine was to have a BMI of 24, which is in the healthy range. Knowing you BMI also keeps you living in reality.

21. Stop eating when you are no longer hungry, not when you are full.

These are just my tricks that worked for me. what works for you?

By the way, I am 52 years old and through menopause. .
    This is just amazing. Thank you! Its good to be reminded that this isnt easy, but its definitely doable and most of the time we just need to "suck it up" and get it done. The faster we do that the easier it becomes. I love this!!!
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bless. This. Post.

More people need to keep these things in mind, you are the driving force to make you the healthiest person you can be. Hold yourself accountable. You ate that cake? Fine. Log it. Then do better. Don't make excuses that allow you to eat cake everyday or skip out on work outs. It hurts only one person. You.

Push yourself. One day that work out you can't finish will be your warm up. You will become that person you dream of being. But remember that anything -- ANYTHING -- worth having is worth fighting for.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Bless. This. Post.

More people need to keep these things in mind, you are the driving force to make you the healthiest person you can be. Hold yourself accountable. You ate that cake? Fine. Log it. Then do better. Don't make excuses that allow you to eat cake everyday or skip out on work outs. It hurts only one person. You.

Exactly. If anything, that was the main point I wanted to make.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss and figuring out what works for you!:drinker:
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    Update: Well, I went to the doctor right before Thanksgiving and then right after New Yrear's. I had been eating pretty much whatever I wanted and was down .25 of a pound. I got a little cocky, and started to put on a few pounds. I told myself it was water weight or something. Today I was up 7 pounds! I am still at my goal weight, but what a shock. It really just snuck up on me. Time to start following my own advice!
  • jeeplovin
    jeeplovin Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great post, great job!!
  • lecia125
    lecia125 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    great tips!
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    Update: Well, I went to the doctor right before Thanksgiving and then right after New Yrear's. I had been eating pretty much whatever I wanted and was down .25 of a pound. I got a little cocky, and started to put on a few pounds. I told myself it was water weight or something. Today I was up 7 pounds! I am still at my goal weight, but what a shock. It really just snuck up on me. Time to start following my own advice!

:laugh: TOO FUNNY!!! Yes, those nasty things come back with a vengeance don't they?? It soooo hard to take off, but oh soooo easy to put on!! :drinker:
  • Carolyn, you are so disciplined!! Very inspiring.

What I love the most is your no excuses, no nonsense attitude, I believe that's the biggest tip in your success. I've had to adopt this kind of attitude otherwise we make excuses.
  • carolyn000000
    Options
    Thanks everyone! And you look great, Strong and Healthy!
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Carolyn,

This is a super list!

congratulations on your success!
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Love the list! Also, thank you for getting back on and telling us you gained 7 pounds over the holidays. Sometimes, i forget that I am human. Not sure if mine gain is the holidays or the menopause but either way it kicked me into a healthy, logging gear again. :)
  • Healthy67Chick
    Healthy67Chick Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    What a great list & thank you for sharing, your attitude is inspirational as well as motivational.

Cheers:drinker:
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    wow!
  • sunseeker100
    sunseeker100 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!