Strength vs Cardio

Options
boehle
boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
I used to only do cardio.
I now use the weight machines at the gym.

I do the below...

20 minutes of cardio (either eliptical or arc)

I then do
3 sets of 15 (70 lbs) on the triceps push down.
3 sets of 15 (70 lbs) on the lat pull downs
3 sets of 10 (50 lbs) on the triceps exctensions
3 sets of 10 (50 lbs) on the chest press

I finish with another 15-20 minutes cardio on the bike.

Someone said to me since I am adding in weights, that could be slowing down my weight loss.
I have goal to lose another 8.7 lbs in the next 8.5 weeks.

Should I change something up?
I do feel like I am losing inches and that helps but I also want to lose pounds.

A proud moment is that I have lost over 13 lbs in the last 3 months.

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    I would take inches lost over pounds lost any day.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    I don't understand the logic from "you'll be slowing down your weight loss if you add in weights." I'm pretty sure you can't gain muscle while you're on a calorie deficit, just retain the current muscle you have.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss will come from the caloric deficit you create in terms of your diet, not just your activity. Your activity is merely a tool to assist you in creating that deficit....along with many other health/physical benefits of course. If what you are doing is working, then keep with it.

Just out of curiosity though....why are you only doing those 4 upper body exercises as your weight training?
  • jpace00
    Options
    It will somewhat slow your weight loss in that you're building muscle while losing fat. However you will still lose weight.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're looking and feeling great, then ignore the random, unsolicited advice that people give you. A lot of the time it's incorrect.
  • guroprincess
    Options
    It will somewhat slow your weight loss in that you're building muscle while losing fat. However you will still lose weight.

You can't build muscle on a deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/996906--you-can-t-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

You can't build muscle on a deficit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/996906--you-can-t-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit

Unless you're a noob and/or overweight.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Do you want to lose weight or do you want to lose fat?
    Either way, the answer is no, strength training will not "slow down your weight loss." The amount of your caloric deficit is the dominant factor in the rate of your weight loss. But a solid progressive strength training program should help to ensure (as much as possible) that the weight you lose is fat instead of lean mass.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is that the order you do the exercises in?

Because every pull uses your biceps already, every push uses the triceps already.

But your order will prevent you from putting the heavy load on the bigger muscles, because you are working the smaller one first that is required to give the bigger one a better workout.

Do the tri/bi last if at all, and add in some better bigger muscle machines in there if you don't want the dumbbells or the bar.

Get shoulder press overhead, that'll work your tricep again, along with bench first.
    Then do upper back with some pull pack machine or bent-over rows, that'll work the biceps again.

And as long as you have a deficit, you'll lose fat, even if your body is making improvements.

Is the number on the scale by a certain date required for something? Like people will actually be seeing what the weight is, like you have to wear a sign with it on it?

Or will they see the inches lost that the lifting can cause?
  • javacafe
    javacafe Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss regimen, I lost about 25 lbs. in four months on strength training plus caloric deficit. No cardio was involved. (My current profile picture is a testament to that journey.)

Strength training will *not* cause you to weight loss to "slow down." It will merely ensure that you are slowing down muscle loss and burning more fat than you would otherwise. You can lose weight without any exercise at all (as long as you are on a caloric deficit). Cardio will help you in the sense that it adds toward creating caloric deficit as long as you don't eat back more than calories lost through cardio. (Many people do that; cardio will tends to increase hunger in some people. It did that to me, when I tried that a few years ago). But, caloric deficit without strength training is associated with muscle tissue loss. That is why most experienced fitness experts will encourage strength training along with caloric deficit.

Clearly, there is a difference between having a goal of losing weight and maximizing fat loss.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the logic from "you'll be slowing down your weight loss if you add in weights." I'm pretty sure you can't gain muscle while you're on a calorie deficit, just retain the current muscle you have.
    You can... if you are new to lifting. And since OP just recently started to lift it's possible that she would build some muscle hence, add some weight.

OP, decide what you want. If you just want to lose weight, whatever that would be water, muscle or fat weight. Or you want to lose fat? Because there is a difference. I assure you lifting will help you with fat loss and make you look smaller while possibly adding some weight. Weight is irrelevant, I don't even get why people track it. It's useful only for athletes who have to meet a specific weight class. For general people who just wanna look good, it just messes with your mind. You can take two same body shape and high people and one of the may look smaller and fitter while heavier and other may look fatter and bigger while being lighter weight. Due to different foods they ate, different muscle mass, different water they retain, etc. Weight means nothing it's, all about inches and a mirror.