Elliptical Exercise

Options
Does anyone know how accurate the calorie count is on the exercise track? I entered 50 minutes on the elliptical and it came up that I used 585 caloires and then added that to my daily total of 1200 calories. It seems like a lot to burn in that period of time

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    It also depends on how fast you were going and what the resistance was. If you were moving at a fair clip and had the resistance high... sounds normal to me.
  • jodiking
    jodiking Posts: 30
    Options
    Try wearing a heart rate monitor if possible. It will tell you how many calories you body personally burns with your exercising. The tracker on MFP, along with the machines and other websites, are only estimates.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate moniter and it's always about half the calories burned than the machine says.. they're not very accurate (the elipticals)
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    After this site telling me I burned over a thousand calories swimming for an hour, and then wearing my HRM and leaning it was only close to 200, I no longer trust the count I get here....your best bet is a HRM.
  • Chrissun
    Chrissun Posts: 148
    Options
    My elliptical has a heart rate monitor so I trust its' calorie burn total over MFP. I usually burn 370-400 calories an hour according to my elliptical (Level 3 , average 4 mph).
  • sydnice
    sydnice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hey there Gal pals..........thanks for the insite on those HRM bands Where do i get one??? Im new at this I was always thin ALL my life Then I had Two Beautiful Kiddies and now am faced with having to lose weight for the first time in my life
  • ginacollier
    ginacollier Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Elliptical cross trainers are one of the best pieces of equipment you can buy. (i) they are easy on the joints, low impact and (ii) it the same motion as on a treadmill. The calorie count sounds about right. Try a hill climb on a low resistance, you will burn as many calories............good luck.:smile:
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If you are using a machine that asks you for your weight and age, the calorie count on the machine is pretty accurate.
    If the machine does not, you can use a heart rate monitor and that's usually pretty accurate. I find that the calorie counts on MFP seem to be a bit exaggerated, so I manually change it to a lower value to be on the safe side.
  • nicoledc
    nicoledc Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks for the info on HRM - will be going to ****'s Sporting Goods in the morning to get one of them !
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    :happy: Hey there Gal pals..........thanks for the insite on those HRM bands Where do i get one??? Im new at this I was always thin ALL my life Then I had Two Beautiful Kiddies and now am faced with having to lose weight for the first time in my life

i would start at amazon.com---they sell brand new hrm---and are reasonable! :) i have a polar ft7 and love it!!
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    i burn around 1000calories/hr on level 6, no incline, rpm around 55.
  • Walton4
    Walton4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keep it up! I do an advanced work out, and I burn 800 calries in 45 minutes. My incline goes from 3,5,6 and 7. I think it just estimates what you do. Have fun and good luck!
  • kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Even with weight and age, the machines might not read accurately.

The elliptical and other machines at my gym read my Polar HRM, so they are close, but still not as accurate as the reading on my watch HRM.