Goals question

Kimma34
Kimma34 Posts: 66 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Is it ok to be in the negative for the goal limits that My Fitness Pal automatically sets for me?? I feel like a failure!!

-Kim

Replies

• fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    What do you mean? When you're setting them or on a daily basis?
  • Kimma34
    When I signed up My Fitness Pal automatically detected what my goals were but I'm in the negative today and I feel awful!! Should I let it get me??
  • fitterpam
    You really don't want to be in the negatives every day. FInish off your day. Figure out what happened and learn from it. We all do it once in a while - it won't kill you :) Especially if it's only a small negative number. It also depends on what the goal itself is...is it the calories, sugar, fat, etc.

If I could see your diary, I would be able to help figure out what happened but make tomorrow the day you stay within the goals. If you still have enough of the day left, exercise will help make the difference even more minimal.
  • Kimma34
    Well to be honest I know why I'm in the negative, just gotta learn from it and watch what I put in my mouth more!! I need to plan meals too!!

-Kim
  • Julbella78
    Julbella78 Posts: 161 Member
    You can adjust your goals. For me I kept going negative in my protein and fiber but once I adjusted them I was fine. My big thing is not going over my calories and fat.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    No it is not terrible to be in the negatives; there is no way to exactly match what our MFP goals are each day. I look at calories as a range of at least 100, but it is sugar and sodium that I am more concerned with on a daily basis. Those will truly undermine your weight loss efforts.
  • fitterpam
    Well to be honest I know why I'm in the negative, just gotta learn from it and watch what I put in my mouth more!! I need to plan meals too!!

-Kim

Sometimes when I just HAD to have that bag of chips at work, I'll come home and workout until I've hit that calorie count....LOL it's like a justification for it. Not the best way to handle it, but LOL, there you have it....Agree with Holton too..... view it as a range, there is a built in deficit on the calories and if I know I'm going over on my sodium, I'll drink an extra half glass of water for every 100mg of sodium that I went over to try and mitigate it. Haven't figured out my sugar/fat strategy yet though...LOL

Being able to help mitigate some of the damage I've done before the end of the day makes me feel better about it. But if it's just over, I wouldn't worry
This discussion has been closed.