Not able to eat all my calories on a regular basis?? Ideas?

Options
cmriverside
cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
I have this problem EVERY day. (almost) It is midnight and I still have 400 calories left. I'm at wit's end trying to figure out how to "fix" this! I hate to eat just before I go to bed, and I even plan my day's meals the day before, but never get to all the food. I try to eat 5/6 meals a day, or every three hours. I'm JUST not hungry. I don't want to eat empty calories just to hit my numbers, but now I've taken to drinking red wine to at least get within 100-200 calories. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....>>wink<<

rrgh. Any ideas?

~cmriverside

Replies

• cmriverside
    Options
    I have this problem EVERY day. (almost) It is midnight and I still have 400 calories left. I'm at wit's end trying to figure out how to "fix" this! I hate to eat just before I go to bed, and I even plan my day's meals the day before, but never get to all the food. I try to eat 5/6 meals a day, or every three hours. I'm JUST not hungry. I don't want to eat empty calories just to hit my numbers, but now I've taken to drinking red wine to at least get within 100-200 calories. Not that there's anything wrong with that.....>>wink<<

rrgh. Any ideas?

~cmriverside
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I was talking to my parents about this just last night. They had heard that if you are having this problem you should try to add back some regular foods to your diet. Like instead of no fat products, go with low fat... I've been eating a bowl of cereal for "dessert" to get calories in at night but like you I'd rather not eat just for the sake of eating. I think I might start adding a glass of milk at lunch instead of water, putting a little more cheese in my morning omlets, going ahead with an extra tablespoon of salad dressing. We will see! I've also been getting to the end of the night with 400ish calories and am trying hard not to end the night under by too much.

+++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
    Niccole
  • cmriverside
    Options
    NTB,

Now that is so sensible. Tell your parents thanks for me! I guess I really should be happy it's not the other way around -- I've had that problem too. Moderation, moderation.

~Cheryl
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie of some sort almost every day...I've been having the same calorie problem. (especially on heavy workout days...woof!) If you can handle the fruit sugar, this might help. I find them easy...not as much work to eat?

Also my other favorite high-calorie (ish) treat is almond butter. (You can take a tablespoon of almond butter and put it in the blender with one cup of water for almond milk.)

and avocados.

Oh, wait...that's two "favorites".
  • cmriverside
    Options
    ooooo - I'll buy some chocolate almond milk.
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Options
    Maybe you can have a bigger breakfast? And don't forget to have healthy and nourishing snacks beetween meals
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Options
    Maybe you can have a bigger breakfast? And don't forget to have healthy and nourishing snacks beetween meals
  • melissac
    melissac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cm riverside i posted the same question under the scale topic yesterday. After eating all my my meals i stil had almost 500 calorise to spare i am not hungry i do not eat after seven. i am having a real hard time hitting my 1200 plus on work out days. As i have stated before i eat a wide varity of foods just in moderation. I do not want to sabatoge my weight loss but i hate to eat at night and i can't possibly eat more during my meals. I am gonna try a bigger breakfast but i have a feeling then i will have a later lunch and not want my snack.
  • CMJ1979
    CMJ1979 Posts: 42
    Options
    I never try to eat all my calories. Very rarely I go over, but most days I go to bed wtih a few hundred left. One day I did so much exercise that I had 2,000 left. I just see it as more weight lost. I don't feel hungry of fatigued so as long as I feel fine I'm gonna do it that way.
  • nbuehrmann
    nbuehrmann Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, and actually went into starvation mode for a long time, which I this really contributed to slowing down my weight loss. I worked with my trainer and added more food into my meals. One thing he recomended that really helped me were to get meal replacement shakes. I just went to my local health store and bought bulk powder, they have many different varieties and flavours. I'm not talking about protein shakes but actual meal replacements. They typically have about 230 calories per serving and I add them to my snacks. Not only do they help me meet my calories but also I feel better because I know I'm getting adequate minerals and vitamins with it too, so it makes up for anything I might miss during the day with my actual meals.
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I SOOOO wish I had this "problem"! What are you, CM, like 10 feet tall? ;-)
  • Razboo
    Options
    (And I'm sorry; I know that this can be a problem wfor some folks, but for me it is totally unfathomable! :) )
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I fear eating too much, too early, and having to go to bed hungry.

Sometimes I post my afternoon snack, and dread that I have 800 calories left to go. Then I post the evening walk I expect to take, and then I need to stuff 1,000 calories more. Makes me think I should forego the walk.

I want to find time in the morning to take a walk, and eat better snacks.

And to get over the fear. We were talking about will power yesterday. Maybe it is fear that keeps me from eating the box of chunky chocolate chip cookies. I want good eating to become my lifestyle, not my obsession.
  • Razboo
    Options
    I am learning! Learning about things other than me.

Forgive my ignorance, but why.. why does one have a problem eating? It is all I can do to keep under 2000ish per day and my goal is 1400. ? I begrudge my friggin' bowl of bran flakes... "You got too much calories you *kitten* Bran!!!" That is what I say to my bowl every morning =P
  • cmriverside
    Options
    You guys are so funny.....Razboo LOL. I don't have trouble eating, perse, but I do have to "make all my numbers match" - you must have missed the part where I am admittedly OCD. Seriously - taking meds - the whole nine yards. And I SOOOO can't let myself go in to starvation mode.

nbue - thanks for the meal replacement suggestion. I forgot about those! I'm going to the "Nature's Remedy" store AND Trader Joes. I'll be hooked up.

At first on MFP I had different percentages in my goals, and I was in a good routine but it took me a couple weeks to figure out how to combine foods correctly to get the % right.
    Just this past Monday I started my strength and weights training, and I had to increase my protein and decrease my carbs. To be honest I almost never ate meat before this past week. And my fats are now down to 20%. I take an Omega 3.6.9 supplement and it contains 14g fat right there. I think I can only have 27g daily.

So I spend a good amount of time moving foods around in my "Diary" to try to come up with a "match" as far as my Calories>Carbs>Fat>Protein %. Oh, I could find plenty to eat, but if I have any sugar-y stuff around - I'll swallow it whole (I liked that when Skinni....I mean Healthier_Me said that! ) She's funny, too.

Be nice to your Bran! It's good for you. I do have a huge breakfast - usually two large amounts of food before lunch. I've set my weight loss at 1.4 pounds, 1200 calories (+ exercise reward calories.) I REALLY MISS JUICE. I used to have about two cups of juice daily, now I can barely squeeze in 4 oz because of the carbs.
    But I also USED TO weigh more! And so it goes.

Good luck all. Thanks for your help.

~Cheryl - 5'9"
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    UUggghhh... my OJ!!

I can't remember how it tastes =/

~Joanna 5'2" =P
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Once you add excercise into the equasion I am supposed to eat 900+ calories more a day... along with my 1200... At the moment replacement shakes are not an option at least till I order some and have them shipped to me... anyother suggestions?
  • tdroseler
    tdroseler Posts: 165
    Options
    :huh:
    So, there i am reading this thread, laughing like crazy...does anyone see the irony here???
    Im sure most of us used to eat enough for at least two people...i personally was feeding a small family of four, lol.
    And now we have troubles meeting our calorie requirement. I love it,lol...
    It is amazing to me just how i ate before...and never felt full...now i eat less, and never feel ful, but it is different.
    Before, i think the brain just never got the message through that i should be full, or i just ignored it.
    Now...i knwo when i have finished eating, im just over the hungry stage.
    It bothered me a lot last week, when i would get hungry an hour later. And yes, i couldn't reach my calorie limit. Now, i have integrated "snacks" of healthy fruits or veggies. It gets me much closer to the limit, and i don't feel hungry to the point of going gonzo :explode: (the muppet) on the cupboards.
    With adding the exercise to my day, and thus adding more to the cal limit...i can't seem to add that in food, lol...but, like i saiid, im not complaining, cause there was a time when all i did was eat.
    I think that no matter what we end up doing...the important part is...we are doing something.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Hi again!

Update since my last post. I can make the numbers match. I did have to got the route of a Protein Shake - I also bought some meal replacement bars, and I found them at my local drug store - easy breezy.

The brand name I ended up buying had the lowest carbs in all the ones I've seen. "Designer Whey"

Nutrition Facts for the "DETOUR" ENERGY BAR made by Designer Whey. It tastes just like a Snickers and I keep one in my car for days I miss a meal in my 6-meals-a-day. I only eat 1/2 bar at a time, but they're huge.(170 calories)
    **Chocolate lovers REJOICE!!! **
    Make sure you buy the LOWER SUGAR bar if carbs are an issue:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    DETOUR - (made by) Designer Whey Protein Energy Bar - lower sugar Amount: bar serving(s) (1 bar ea.)
    Calories340Sodium480 mgTotal Fat10 gPotassium270 mg Saturated6 gTotal Carbs33 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber4 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars5 g Trans0 gProtein30 gCholesterol10 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium15 %Vitamin C0 %Iron0 %
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Designer Whey Protein Powder (Vanilla)
    Nutrition Facts
    DESIGNER - Protein Whey Powder Amount: level scoop (24g) serving(s) (1 level scoop (24g) ea.) container (15 level scoop (24g) ea.)
    Calories90Sodium60 mgTotal Fat2 gPotassium100 mg Saturated1 gTotal Carbs2 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber0 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars2 g Trans0 gProtein18 gCholesterol45 mg Vitamin A0 %Calcium22 %Vitamin C78 %Iron0 %
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I found a lower carb Chocloate Drink at Costco that is yummy too. But not everyone is near a Costco.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Nutrition Facts
    *MUSCLE MILK (COSTCO) - Protein Chocolate Milk Shake / Low Carb Amount: oz serving(s) (11 oz ea.)
    Calories230Sodium180 mgTotal Fat11 gPotassium450 mg Saturated5 gTotal Carbs11 g Polyunsaturated0 g Dietary Fiber2 g Monounsaturated0 g Sugars5 g Trans0 gProtein22 gCholesterol5 mg Vitamin A22 %Calcium40 %Vitamin C22 %Iron29 %
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheryl
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Has anyone run into the problem that they just dont want to eat as much as they should? I Am not hungry after the 1200 calories and rarely manage to get much over that and the counter tells me that I need to add 900 more!!!!
    And yes this is ironic, and I was eating WAY more then this before and now I just am satisfied with the 1200 Calories...