Water weight

Options
Last night was the first night in over a month that I "treated" myself with a girl's night out, and while I didn't eat the most healthy in the world I made healthier choices than I would have in the past. The restaurant we went to serves everyone the same thing and its all salted to the max. I know I shouldn't have weighed today (blasted wii fit and your daily body test!) but I did and I gained 2 pounds! I know its all water weight because there is no way I ate 7000 calories yesterday. I plan to drink at least half my weight in ounces of water today and eat very little salt, so my question is how long does it usually take to lose water weight if you are drinking a lot of water?

Replies

• daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Ugh sodium kills me. When I have a high sodium meal it sometimes takes 2-3 days for my weight to normalize. It is good that you know that this is a sodium/water issue rather than fat gain. Many people freak out when this happens, I know because I used to be one of those people. Knowledge truly is power!!! Drink lots of water and check back in a few days :)
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Probably depends on a lot of factors, but for me it takes 2-3 days to get back to "normal", and another 2-3 days to show what I actually lost during that week. Don't panic, you know you didn't gain 2 pounds in a day. Just stay on track with your diet and exercise and don't let that nasty scale get you down. It lies sometimes, you know...
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    About a day or two if it's just one day of binge eating you did.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Drinking 1/2 your weight in ounces of water?

I wouldn't worry about trying to do that. You will probably be naturally more thirsty because of the sodium, and drink more anyway. The water weight will be gone in a couple of days if you have properly functioning kidneys.

No sweat. :smile: Or - maybe you should try to sweat a lot today (being silly).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    For me, it usually takes about a day for the water weight to shed. Restaurants really are notorious for using mega sodium.