limited ability due to injury - suggestions?

Options
Hi all - any ideas for some exercises I can do to increase heart rate without using lower half of my body? Injured one year ago during a run and seeking therapy, etc. at the moment. Can't even walk a mile now without pain, but was used to exercising (running, kickboxing, etc) anywhere from 3-6 days/week. Body is clearly getting out of shape but I'm not sure what I can do with limited ability. Unfortunately, I don't have much access to a pool for swimming. Really like when I'm working out and heart rate is up and feeling like I'm working. Having a very difficult time without being able to move. It's amazing how quickly the body loses the tone that was once there when you can't move as much. I'd really love to get back to burning some calories. Ideas??

Replies

• SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    look on youtube, there are some pretty good exercises you can do from a chair, thats where I started.
  • AccioFitness
    AccioFitness Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Can you move your upper body easily? If so, you can do punches with weights or calisthenics with a medicine ball. It won't get your heart rate going as much as running or other high intensity would but it will help. Can you do yoga/Pilates? While it's not high intensity you will still be able to keep your muscles active and your joints loose. And depending on the poses and length of the exercises you will definitely sweat!
  • nu2012
    nu2012 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Youtube has some workouts where you can workout on a chair. More like kickboxing...punches etc. You can add hand weights to the workout,1lb-2lb and it will be really good. Recumbent stationary bike is good. Belly dancing if you can stand. Cycling while lying on your back. And plus strength training for the upper body.
  • nancymarielynn
    Options
    Well Hi my name is Nancy. I thought I was limited but according to your story I can do so much more, Unforchinitly I cant. I in the past years have had several operations on my right foot. Spurs metamorsals orthoscope then the last one I got my foot fused. So I can not not but during the summer I started walking again, and lost weight, Unfortunitly my life style has changed in the summer I had to walk every day and it was beutiful out, now It is damp and I dont have to walk every day places are harder to get to. I dont drive. So I cant get to a gym and if I did I have problems getting down the steps since my ballence is way off. I lent my sister in law a exersise bike two years ago and I just got it back. Not that I dont enjoy chocholate or a soda, it is hardley in the house. I am not a soda drinker, either candy. But it is Holloween. So today I said no more candy I ll save them for when I go to a movie for a treet. Little bags of Mand Ms are my down fall. So wil the weather changing not driving and the tiles in the mall bother my feet .
    I do plan soon on walking up to CVS local drug store to get some medication soon and that is a mile so I will walk a mile today.
    Then I may be able to walk home.
    And last week I started riding the exersise bike every day. So that was a couple nights in a row.
    Listen go under fitness aps on your cell phone. I found some interesting things on choices. This sight even though the walking part may be imposible it is like mao my run cause of my foot being fused I cant run but there is map my run there are so many choises maybe one for your arms
    Nancy
  • Heronimos
    Heronimos Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi all - any ideas for some exercises I can do to increase heart rate without using lower half of my body? Injured one year ago during a run and seeking therapy, etc. at the moment. Can't even walk a mile now without pain, but was used to exercising (running, kickboxing, etc) anywhere from 3-6 days/week. Body is clearly getting out of shape but I'm not sure what I can do with limited ability. Unfortunately, I don't have much access to a pool for swimming. Really like when I'm working out and heart rate is up and feeling like I'm working. Having a very difficult time without being able to move. It's amazing how quickly the body loses the tone that was once there when you can't move as much. I'd really love to get back to burning some calories. Ideas??

Well the first question is what can you do. You say the lower half of you body, but what is the problem? Ankel, foot, knee? The impact of running?

That makes it a lot easier to give advice.
  • Deborah100660
    Deborah100660 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have empathy. I will be having surgery in a week and need to stop exercising for 3 months. I am also looking for suggestions. My surgery is on my body and I am not sure if I can do walking. Last January, I had shoulder surgery and an Achilles tendon tear. I was also out for 3 months. The good news is because I exercised like you I was able to get back into decent shape in 3 months. My current plan is to stick to a healthy diet and no cheating, until I can exercise again. I will be happy if I maintain my weight.

Deborah
  • Looking4ward
    Looking4ward Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Isometrics and/or Scooby's Flex-R-cize.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRMPtw4JzFs

You'll have to search for isometric exercises. Many of them probably won't appear to be helpful.
    You have to keep an open mind. Any activity is better than none.

They both use muscles and can be done in any position - prone, sitting or standing still.

They don't sound very exciting but they allow for mobility limitations..
  • gpies
    gpies Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for suggestions everyone. It was a hip injury. So can't kick, run, walk comfortably, etc. Very depressing to actually see and feel the weight coming back on and the muscle tone going away. I feel like when my heart rate isn't up, then I'm not burning much off. And I do admit, my eating habits went down hill for a few months because I was a bit depressed over the whole situation and gave up a bit. But I'm trying to get back on track but I guess was just looking for some guidance first to help me out.
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking that the next time I have foot surgery I'm going to look into renting or buying a stationary Hand Cycle as a way to exercise. Also, I find using crutches exhausting. Even if you don't need them for normal walking, you could actually look into taking a pair out and "walking" a mile with them. Assuming you know how to use them properly (so you don't damage nerves) and that it is something you can do following the hip injury.
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    A guy at our gym who is in a wheel chair uses the handbike and several of the weights for upper body without leaving his chair - perhaps something like that would be of use?
  • exmsde
    exmsde Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One other thing, if you are going to Physical Therapy (or know the PT) for the hip then you can ask them for exercises for general fitness that won't interfere with the hip recovery.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Can you ride a bike? I am coming back from an ankle injury - now a year. For the first 4-5 months i couldn't as i was in a boot - but then got on my bike and can attribute my weight loss to calorie intake and cycling. I just don't know about a hip injury if you can do that or not. If it is possible - its a good calorie burner. Best of luck.