Thoughts on Soy?

Options
2»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I eat edamame every once in awhile. It's pretty tasty. I had tofu once and didn't like the texture. I once accidentally bought soy milk (I meant to buy almond milk) but it tasted pretty good so I ended up finishing it off.

A friend of mine with breast cancer said she asked her oncologists whether she should avoid soy. They said she shouldn't seek it out, but that she didn't need to avoid it either.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Too much is not good.

How much is "too much" though?
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Too much is not good.

More than enough, but less than way too much.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Too much is not good.

More than enough, but less than way too much.

Indeed, given that it's a staple of eastern diets this strikes me as a "0.01% to 0.02%" becoming a "shock horror, risk doubles" type situation.
  • GayleCain
    Options
    I developed estrogen receptive breast cancer at age 33. My oncologist indicated I should avoid soy. At the time it was a big player in my diet.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sorry, this is not correct.

"phytoestrogens mimic estrogen only very weakly. A number of clinical studies in men have cast doubt on the notion that eating soy influences testosterone levels to any noticeable extent. And most large studies of soy intake and breast cancer rates in women have not found that it causes any harm, said Dr. Anna H. Wu of the Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California." (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/27/ask-well-is-it-safe-to-eat-soy/?_r=0)

"No significant effects of soy protein or isoflavone intake on T, SHBG, free T, or FAI were detected regardless of statistical model.
    The results of this meta-analysis suggest that neither soy foods nor isoflavone supplements alter measures of bioavailable T concentrations in men." (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0015028209009662)

Plus more info. here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nU6fJo0mUc

So, basically this research is showing that isoflavone and soy do not effect Testosterone levels? Gee, what a surprise, since it is an ESTROGEN mimetic. In case you hadn't noticed, the OP is a woman. And yes, we know that soy, isoflavenoids and various other plant sterols do interact with our receptors. Researchers are still looking into the strength of the interactions, and apparently is one Doctors opinion that the reactions are weak. That would be a good reason why eating a small amount of soy a day is not a problem (as I already said) But doctors warn women with estrogen sensitive cancers to stay away from these estrogen mimetics, because they will increase metastisis in HER2 + breast cancer cells.

As a man, you have estrogen receptors too. If you want to drink soy like it is milk, be my guest. But you are increasing the risk of putting on fat in the same places women do, and increasing your risk of estrogen sensitive breast cancers as well.

This was never about testosterone, but that was interesting anyway, thanks.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    fermented = yes (like miso and tempeh, etc)...otherwise I don't touch the stuff.

This. But I actually avoid it altogether. Do your research. What's a staple in Eastern cultures is the fermented soy, not the stuff people tend to consume here in the U.S.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    For the non-vegetarians out there, or heck- even those that are... what is your take on soy products? Ive heard it causes bloat, weight gain, but also good for you. Okay- GO!
    Soy sauce on everything if you're Asian!!!! As for soy milk, soy protein, etc. ..................blech IMO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition