I need help brainstorming how I might fix this problem...

Options
I work two jobs. I substitute teach during the day and about 4 days a week, a retail job in the evenings. Since I've been working both jobs, I am far less motivated to eat as well as I used to...but my main problem is the fact that on the nights that I work my retail job, I'm not home until 9:30pm or later (now that it's around the holidays, I won't be home till 10, 11 or later...). Since my shifts start at about 4:30pm, I'm not hungry for dinner, but I also don't get a meal break to eat dinner at a decent time...So I'm stuck eating it when I get home late. Because I get up at around 5:30am to sub early, I'm usually in bed no later than 11pm.

Is the "don't eat right before bed" thing a myth? I just really hate eating dinner at 10pm, then going to bed so shortly thereafter. I always tell myself I'll just have a protein shake for dinner, but by the time I get home, I'm so darn hungry and I pass right by it and go for something I can chew, lol.

I know I'm not the only person with this problem! What do YOU do in this situation?!

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    It's a myth. The only reason not to eat before bed is if it causes an issue with the actual sleep process (indigestion, general sleeplessness, whatever). I ate at 10pm last night, actually.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is personal preference.
  • jillebee44
    jillebee44 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Myth. I work 11a-7pm and I don't get home until about 730. I eat dinner with my family (even late) every night. I will eat a quick healthy snack to tide me over until then (fruit or veggies or granola bar) We usually eat around 830 ish. I go to bed anywhere between 930 and 11 and sometimes I will sneak a snack in between dinner and bed if I am hungry still. I have had consistant/maintaining weight loss as well.

I would not worry about times, MANY people work overnights and their whole body/eating schedule is not "normal" and they do fine, as long as you are focusing on your calorie count and watching what you are putting into your body you will be fine.