Plans for Sunday dinner?

Options
Thinking Greek for Sunday family dinner!

What are your plans for Sunday dinner??? Share them here...

I love to cook. It is always a gift that I like to share with family and friends. Love to entertain. Now I just need to concentrate on making healthful choices when I do.

Thing is, I know the choices. Just need to consciously make them on a consistent basis.

One of my favorite meals to cook is Greek and the foods there are pretty healthy.
Hummus... good source of fiber and if I make it myself, I can control the salt content. chickpeas, olive oil, some lemon juice, lots of garlic, some red peppers and tahini sauce for a homemade version.

Tzatziki: yogurt sauce with dill and cucumber. Drain the yogurt through a strainer to make it thicker; peel the cukes and dice the flesh into small bits, use lots of garlic, lemon, and dill for the flavor.

Lots of red, yellow and green bell peppers and sliced cucumbers and celery and other fresh vegetables for dipping with the hummus and tzatziki.

I love Spanakopita, the Spinach pie, but for tomorrow I am thinking maybe I will do the spinach and feta insides without the phyllo dough pie filling...

Skin-on roasted red potatoes with rosemary, garlic and lemon. A regular serving, not a heaping mountain.

I don't have time to roast a leg of lamb, so I will grill chicken breasts and buy some pita bread... as long as I have half of a pita (instead of three or four pitas), this menu should do very well and be very tasty.

What are your plans for Sunday dinner?

Replies

• CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am going to make a Nice little Butternut Squash puree with some Brown Sugar Substitute and heart smart butter, probably a nice dusting of cinnamon. Roast it off in the oven....let cool and puree! To go with it, I bought some fancy dancy Guy Fiette chicken sausages (lime tequila flavor) - 110 calories....so a few of them with no bun will be nice with the puree. Finish it off with some steamed veg. Good base, and if I need to add more to it, half course for seconds wont be a bad way to end the week.

Tonight, going to go Asian flare (as if my Tuna loaf last night didn't already have me sweating bullets) going to chunk up some white fish fillet (and a nice dusting of Old Bay Seasoning) bring out the wok to give it a nice sear. Throw in some Ginger, garlic, basil (trying some frozen cubes my sister suggested I try for quick occasions) and some chili garlic sauce (double garlic yum) - throw in some onion and bell pepper strips till just a little soft. Throw in some Cabbage leaves and wrap. If I feel ambitious, I may wrap the whole mix and then take the wraps and cook them off in the oven...or if not just put in leaves and eat some tasty fish taco's!!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Steak with gorgonzola with squash or sweet potatoes and some veggies.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sundays during football season are dip days at our house. This week I am making a chicken enchilada dip. That is dinner. :)
  • maggie16sweetxoxo
    maggie16sweetxoxo Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Ooohh my mom is going to bring food home from this great all natural vegan cafe :)))) (it's like heavenly)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Fish in a curry coconut sauce over basmati rice ..... or perhaps roasted chicken & red potatoes ...... and a gigantic tossed salad ......

Bon appetit !
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    We're having our adapted version of Boeuf Bourgignon - Ox cheek in a Wine Sauce with Mushrooms and Shallots. Lovely recipe by Raymond Blanc, but we have adapted some of it to cut the calories here and there. Worth the wait though, as it is gorgeous but we don't have it very often, so that it really is a special treat.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I'm having pot roast with potatoes, carrots, and green peppers.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Chicken quesadillas with a dollop of fat-free sour cream, and an avocado-spring-mix-and-lime salad and maybe some lemon sorbet for dessert. Yum.