Alternatives to Almond Milk

Options
hello MFP :)

i'm not lactose intolerant, but cows milk isn't all that great on my body so I prefer alternatives.

the taste of soy milk got old quite quickly for me, and I really enjoyed the taste of almond milk until i discovered that i'm allergic to it. (i can eat almonds for days, but hand me a glass of almond milk and I throw up... pleasant, right?)

so far i've tried coconut milk, which is nice albeit a bit on the sweet side. has anyone else tried other alternative milk products that they love?

tell me about them!

Replies

• smallbutcurvy
    Options
    There is Hazelnut milk, don't know how you would be with that.
  • cheninmatthews21
    cheninmatthews21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do love hazelnuts.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    What type of coconut milk have you tried? When I was going through a lactose-free phase I really liked So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk in cereal and coffee. It's less calories then regular skim but 0 protein. It does have a tons of nutrients though, and it is soy free.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I'd try unsweetened coconut milk cut with some coconut cream. Thick and delicious.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hazelnut milk is delicious. It's the only kind I can drink straight. I enjoy almond milk, but only in cereals, shakes and oatmeals. But hazelnut milk is fabulous.
  • cheninmatthews21
    Options
    What type of coconut milk have you tried? When I was going through a lactose-free phase I really liked So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk in cereal and coffee. It's less calories then regular skim but 0 protein. It does have a tons of nutrients though, and it is soy free.
    Mine is from Trader Joe's but its vanilla flavored so maybe that has something to do with the oversweetness. I love So Delicious ice cream, i'll have to check that out!
  • cheninmatthews21
    Options
    Hazelnut milk is delicious. It's the only kind I can drink straight. I enjoy almond milk, but only in cereals, shakes and oatmeals. But hazelnut milk is fabulous.
    Where do you get it? That sounds great!
  • cheninmatthews21
    Options
    I'd try unsweetened coconut milk cut with some coconut cream. Thick and delicious.

One of the reasons I haven't loved the coconut milk was because of the thinness, so I'll definitely have to try this! Thank you
  • shellyk972
    shellyk972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    rice milk!
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Where do you get it? That sounds great!
    Publix has it, so did Stop and Shop when I lived up north. It's in the section where all the shelf-stable almond/soy/etc. milk is, or if your supermarket has one, the shelf-stable part of the natural foods section. Whole Foods and Trader Joe's carry it, too.
  • ahopeandfuture
    ahopeandfuture Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    One other milk I try outside of the Silk vanilla almond mik is Rice Dream which is rice milk. I use the vanilla flavored and I like it. Of course its consistency is not as thick as the others but I like it. I usually buy it at Walmart or Krogers.
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    NUT MILKS:

● pecan milk

● cashew milk

● walnut milk

● hazelnut milk

SEED MILKS:

● sunflower seed milk

● flax seed milk

● hemp seed milk

● pumpkin seed milk

OTHERS:

● rice milk

● oat milk

● coconut milk

Each one has their own unique taste & consistency though.

I personally make my own nuts milks (almond, pecan, & walnut). I also make them in a variety of flavors.

Even if you have any certain allergies, there's still many options to choose from.
    There's way more non-dairy milk options in the link below.
    She also describes the tastes & consistencies of each one:

http://www.yumuniverse.com/2013/02/07/plant-powerful-dairy-free-milk/

Hope this helps :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Since you say you're not lactose intolerant but that cow's milk doesn't work for you, another option is goat's milk.

My favorite is unsweetened almond-coconut blend, but obviously that's no good for you. I've had hazelnut, and that's good too. I second the suggestion of looking for an unsweetened coconut milk (all the nondairy milks that have added sugar taste way too sweet for me). I've always wondered about hemp milk. I know it's a different part of the plant from the fibers used for rope and clothes, but my internal reaction whenever I see it on the shelf is "Ugh. Who wants to suck on a rope?" So I haven't gotten up the nerve to try it yet.
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    Be careful (most contain caragennan) not sure how to spell it, but its supposed to be really bad for you. I switched to homemade cashew milk before I found out and also drink goat milk, but used to drink the almond/hazelnut milk. I think fresh coconut milk would be an option too :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    unsweetened coconut milk is my favorite